Sign in to follow this  
Hazel

Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft (1)

Tyler, Bode and Kinsey's father is a school counsellor and one day two former pupils stage a home invasion in which their father is killed. Their mother kills one of the boys and the other goes to jail. They move to Lovecraft where the father's family mansion is.

Here at the mansion they begin to repar themselves. Kinsey dabbles with her identity, Tyler comes to terms with letting his family down in their time of need, their mother struggles with alcohol and little Bode discovers that if he leave the house by a certain door his soul leaves his body while it drops dead to the floor. From there he just has to think of a person or place and he can be transported instantly. Not only does little Bode find this development interesting but he discovers that his Echo lives down a well in the old waterhouse. But the Echo wants him to do something for her.

Just in case Bode doesn't comply, the Echo orchestrates the release of Sam, one of their father's killers. She needs someone, Bode or Sam, to bring her the key for the house, a key which will unlock all the doors and free her from the well.

This book has it all; great story, great artwork, great dialogue, great characters and spooks and violence galore. I have not been this excited about a new series for a while and I can't wait to get my paws on the rest of the series.

I'm up to volume 5 with this series, totally awesome stuff. I'm pleased to say it gets better and better with each volume. It's also inspired me to book in for my first tattoo :)

I'm up to volume 5 with this series, totally awesome stuff. I'm pleased to say it gets better and better with each volume. It's also inspired me to book in for my first tattoo :)
Does it really get better? It's hard to believe because the first volume is so damned good. I can't wait to get the rest.

I read Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box, a novel, when it came out and found it creepy but not good enough to keep on the shelves, but his 2 comics I ahve read now, this and The Cape, have been absolutely fantastic. Very impressed with this new comic book writer.

Key? Will that be the tattoo?

The revelation of new keys in each book keeps the interest up, plus the story is just so damn good as you stated.

I am looking to get one of the keys tattooed on my arm, pics when I get it done :)

I am looking to get one of the keys tattooed on my arm, pics when I get it done :)

Another reason to be so damned happy this morning!

I started reading volume 5 today on the train home. I've had it for a few weeks and have been savouring it :) so far, it hasn't disappointed...

Edited by solace91z

It's great isn't it? I have loaned my friend 1-5 just now and he is on the second. He isn't as impressed as I am but I think he's enjoying it. I can't wait till 6 comes out. I think Luke Caravaggio is a great character.

It's great isn't it? I have loaned my friend 1-5 just now and he is on the second. He isn't as impressed as I am but I think he's enjoying it. I can't wait till 6 comes out. I think Luke Caravaggio is a great character.

Hell yes. And the stuff going on with Bode is awesome. What I really like about the series is the 'off screen' revelation of new keys. angel Wings :)

Hell yes. And the stuff going on with Bode is awesome. What I really like about the series is the 'off screen' revelation of new keys. angel Wings :)

Have you read Volume 6 now? Alpha & Omega?

Yes, you'd better! I think it should have finished a few pages earlier than it should have, but I want to hear what you think. It is fab though.

Ok, finally got round to reading Volume 6. I thought it tied things up nicely. Perhaps the ending was drawn out a little, but I have to admit there were moments that brought a little lump to my throat (Bode). Hazel, have you read the spin off stuff?

No not yet - have you? I did buy the first issue of Wraith though, Joe Hill's new series.

I thought L&K 6 should have ended a few pages earlier. Still, fantastic stuff.

Just finished the first volume and enjoyed very much.Great story and art work.

With Bode discovering a key at the end, I'm guessing keys will feature in each book?

The books are a little expensive but will definitely treat myself to the the rest of the series in time.

Edited by Clavain

Just bought part 3 Crown of Shadows and looking forward to reading that over the weekend.

Hazel and Solace you both have a greater knowledge of the comic book genre than I do. I wondered if you could recommend any other similar great reads?

I have only really read Alan Moore stuff ( Watchmen V For Vendetta etc), Maus and 2000AD stuff such as Slaine Judge Dredd Nemesis etc

Edited by Clavain

On a related subect -  this is long overdue, but i finally got around to booking my tattoo session over the weekend with the artist I was after and got my Locke and Key arm piece. After googling, I decided against getting the Omega key and went for this little beauty (apologies for the rubbish photo and angle)

I'm already thinking about the next, probably sticking with the shadow monsters ;)

post-956-0-81251000-1415659064_thumb.jpg

Very cool solace. I am definitely going to get a key soon.

Clavain - Joe Hill has released Wraith - a comic book series based on his novel NOS4R2 which is good. What else would I recommend? Well, just now I am enjoying Bedlam, Lazarus, Saga...it all depends on what you like. I read more genres in comic than I do in novels. One off great reads would be things like Scars. And if you don't mind some mindless, hideousness then Preacher is my favourite comic of all time. The Walking Dead is good too but I would read up to 17 or so then give up.

Anyone looking forward to the Locke and Key series on Netflix? I'll admit the trailer looked a tad too whimsical for me, but I'm hoping they do the graphic novel some justice.