Sign in to follow this  
Hazel

Re-writing Shakespeare

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jun/27/shakespeare-reworked-jeanette-winterson-anne-tyler

I am not entirely sure that this is a 'great' project or why it is completely necessary. "To bring Shakespeare to a contemporary audience"? Well, his plays and sonnets have lasted over 400 years with lots of contemporary audiences to contend with and his popularity has rarely waned. I wonder if these 'cover versions' will simply be a re-working as in Jane Smiley's A Thousand Acres or a Baz Luhrman type restyling.

Can't see the harm. Shakespeare didn't really have original storylines himself so what's wrong with re-hashing the, Besides, some rehashes are good in themselves - Seamus Heaney's Beowulf or Ciaran Carson's Inferno spring to mind.

if they were pure remakes, i don't see the point.

however there is a literary tradition of books being influenced by other books, "the great american novel" by philip roth was based on the story of gilgamesh while of course, "Ulysses" by james joyce is based on "Odysseus".

I am sure there are others.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mj_planet18
      Hey everyone!

I'm an English Literature student and right now I have to write an essay comparing Sonnet 27 with Sonnet 130. So far, I've got two major differences, and one similarity (that they are both parodies). But I need another similarity please. The only thing I can come up with is the really obvious ones, which aren't what my tutor wants. (I'm thinking about iambic pentameter, sonnet structure, and that they're love poems).

I also read somewhere (outside of college stuff) that the first so many sonnets (including 27) were addressed to a man.

Outside of those points, I'd just like to hear what other people think of the sonnets in general.

Thanks for reading!
    • By Mr. Smith
      Was Shakespeare's Troilus and Cressida pro or anti-war?
      What are some quotes, and solid reasons to back up each case?

Thanks,

Al
    • By Adrian
      I don't have much to add apart from wanting to be the first to mention this play, but the world première supposedly happened hereabouts this week.

I'm no Shakespearean scholar so I can't vouch for how lost this 'lost' play of his actually was.
    • By kelby_lake
      Outrageous that there is no thread on it!
    • By Hazel
      I came to Cymbeline completely anew, knowing nothing of the story, apart from the slim nugget that it was a 'romance'. I wasn't sure I wanted to read it either, after all, it's hardly one of those Shakey plays that has entered the collective consciousness. But the OU made me, as is so often the case with my life.

King Cymbeline has a daughter Innogen who wants very much to marry Posthumus. In fact, she does secretly, much to Cymbeline's anger, and he banished Posthumus from the kingdom. Giacomo makes a bet with Posthumus that he will bed Innogen, after Posthumus's much boasted trust in his wife and English girls as a whole. Giacomo wins the bet - by nefarious means, and Post instucts Pisanio to kill Innogen. Pisanio, instead helps her disappear in Wales, disguised as a boy. Here she meets Belaruis and his two sons. Only, are they his sons?

There is much in this play to enable it to be called a political play or even to be included in the Roman plays. It's up to the reader to decide if the Innogen/Posthumus plot is a subplot to the refusal of Cymbeline and his quite evil wife to pay Rome its treaty, therefore sparking a feud. Or vice versa. Ever the romantic (!), I much prefered the Inn/Post plot. Especially how Post could go from marrying the angelic, virtuous Innogen -the Madonna, to wanting her dead - the whore, and back again.

The machinations of Giacomo make him a worthy villian, worthy of Iago-like notoriety. How he uses information to manipulate Posthumus is quite gripping.

I believe George Bernard Shaw didn't like this play too much, criticisms of Innogen aside, he believed that the last act and the Welsh brothers plot was boring and incredible. Not in a good way, either. I can't agree - I think it is fairly typical Shakespeare: myriad plots that all tie up in the end with a satisfying resolution.

I don't hold my chances well, but I'd love to see this forgotten and ignored play performed.