'Verse' Novel win Award

I do wonder though when people will grown bored by the Bard question.

They won't, because conspiracy theories are deeply loved by society, and the British in particular love pulling down their icons. This is an unusual one, though, in that normally we love the 'underdog', and since much of the criticism of Shakespeare is based on positions of snobbery and elitism, it's out of tune with what the public normally warms to. But then since it comes from the world of academia I suppose it's logical enough, because there's snobbery aplenty there.

Marlowe's plays have an entirely different feel from Shakespeare's and are written in a very different style. Plus, if recent scholarship has demonstrated any likely truths to Shakespearean authorship it's that there's suggestions of collaboration with other London playwrights at certain points - something a little difficult from exile in Europe, as is supposed to be the case for Marlowe.

I'll probably wait for the sequel, in which we learn that Marlowe was actually behind the grassy knoll at Dallas.

I like the sound of this, and will probably buy it, but this bit from the BBC piece made me laugh: 'Joanne Harris, the chair of judges....said: "Barber's novel stood out from the shortlist because it is a unique historical conspiracy story that engages all the senses."' ALL the senses, really? Will this novel engage my sense of taste? My sense of balance? :confused:

I'll probably wait for the sequel, in which we learn that Marlowe was actually behind the grassy knoll at Dallas.
That will be episode 3. In episode 2, Marlowe kidnaps the Lindburgh baby... ;)
Will this novel engage my sense of taste? My sense of balance?

I doubt there'll be much balance in there, waawo. And arguably a distinct lack of taste...

;)

That will be episode 3. In episode 2, Marlowe kidnaps the Lindburgh baby... ;)

:D