Sign in to follow this  
David

BGO on Facebook

I'm very pleased to announce that BGO has a shiny new presence on Facebook!

There have been BGO Facebook identities in the past, but they've languished and once Bill withdrew from the site were almost forgotten, really.

With the dawn of our new board nearly here, though, our latest innovation is a new Facebook group page.

This is being run by Hazel. Regulars will remember life got a bit too busy for her to feel able to continue as a moderator, but she's been very enthusiastic about pioneering our Facebook presence and has already whipped up a cracking page for us.

You'll find it here: BGO on Facebook.

If you're on Facebook (I'm not, I should note) then we'd love to see you there. Sign up and click 'like' until your clicking finger drops off! (Of course, this will only register one like, but we'll be impressed by your level of commitment...)

Hazel intends to post lots of interesting literary bits 'n' pieces there, so there should be plenty to interest you, and hopefully some of your own Facebook friends will take notice too!

Many thanks to Hazel for taking this on!

Thanks David - I hope to see everyone from BGO who has a FB account join the group and I promise to keep this one active and up to date.

Is there a difference between asking to join the group and liking? I didn't see the "Like" function. But I asked to join.

It is a group, Binker, so you become a member of the group by joining. 'Liking' tends to be for products, businesses, brands, films etc. This is much more active and you become part of that activity. It won't replace BGO the forum as we don't intend for much discussion to take place - it will just be an add-on to the forum and a place for BGO contact should there ever be a problem with the forum again. I do intend for it to be much more active than the previous BGO FB pages though.

'Liking' tends to be for products, businesses, brands, films etc.

That's true, but it's also something that lets both Facebook and Google know what's popular and it could help us become more prominent for anyone looking for an online book group - or indeed a Facebook book group. I hope this is a page that will help bring us new members - if people like the page, and indeed individual posts, it could help that process.

ah, you join one facebook group and they start reccomending you hundreds more :D

ah, you join one facebook group and they start reccomending you hundreds more :D
:D There's only one that matters iff!

:D There's only one that matters iff!

what is funny is that the other pages they are recommending on the side of my facebook face all tend to have 1 thing in common, all LGBT groups (and none of which includes friends of mine)

is facebook trying to tell me something?

"look, phil, we have examined your 14 posts a year and just come out already" :D

Ha ha. That would be so funny if (iff?) it were true, but it's not. My facebook suggestions all involve weight loss and make-up suggestions...oh...well, maybe you're on to something.

is facebook trying to tell me something?

"look, phil, we have examined your 14 posts a year and just come out already" :D

:D I pay very little attention to that right hand sidebar!

I get Mature (wot me?) Dating

I get that as well, am only 44 and somewhat immature :P. I also get "uniform dating", "tattoo lover dating" and more variations on the same theme.

Facebook would appear to think I shouldn't be single, backed up by the fact when I tried to find out how to make the ads go away the answers I got were all along the lines of "change your relationship status to something other than 'single'" :rolleyes:

Facebook would appear to think I shouldn't be single, backed up by the fact when I tried to find out how to make the ads go away the answers I got were all along the lines of "change your relationship status to something other than 'single'" :rolleyes:
I haven't filled in my relationship status, so I don't think that our status makes a difference and we're going to get these adverts anyway.

Is anybody posting on the FB page? I keep letting a 1 in my Group status and when I look there's nothing. Also listed are 4 photos and when I click there are none.

Is anybody posting on the FB page? I keep letting a 1 in my Group status and when I look there's nothing. Also listed are 4 photos and when I click there are none.

Sorry luna. I missed this message. The FB has been quite active and no one has reported any problems - let me have a look and I'll come back to you.

Luna - when I look at the members page, yours is the only one without an avatar and doesn't link to your FB page. Do you actually have a open FB page? CHeck your privacy setting and notifications because I suspect you have closed up your FB page and it isn't allowing the conversation between your page and BGO's page. Everyone else is ok and looks 'normal'.

I have all the privacy options on my FB page that I can get. It doesn't affect the other group I belong to - also an open group - I wonder why it's affecting this? I'll check my settings though because I have altered them. It'll be something simple (me, probably)

luna, is your problem with BGO's facebook group sorted now?

I looked last night about 10pm and you were on the members page (albeit with a different avatar), and I linked from there to your own fb page with no problem - couldn't see anything there of course, because we are not fb friends.

(I try to keep facebook 'friends' to family and RL friends, as more than a couple of dozen is more than I can keep track of - have yet to explore the BGO 'friends' option)

I still can't link to luna's page from the BGO FB - everyone elses I can. I am fairly sure she has it locked down with a privacy setting somehow that is preventing her from 'seeing' the group properly. If luna can't find it, she can try removing herself from the group and applying again - we'll see what happens from there.

Have removed myself - and couldn't see any more than I could when I was a member - and applied to rejoin.  Still can't see why my settings might be a problem which means it's staring me in the face!  Will keep looking.

Edited by lunababymoonchild