Time to Donate!

David

I cannot express my gratitude enough to all the BGO members who have kindly pledged to help us save the board.

We are at this point up to 23 pledges and I think that's enough to say we can do it. If a shortfall remains I will bridge the gap and take it back from Amazon takings over time - although I'm already doing that for part of the annual hosting cost so I'd like to avoid any more if I can! In other words, don't stop pledging!

As I made clear when launching the pledge drive, the cost was a worst-case scenario. This means we may actually have some left over - even if it's enough to cover the hosting costs too. I would intend to put that towards further work, since it's inevitable this will be needed over time for upgrades, etc. Possibly also to keep the author index. I hope that's acceptable for everyone.

The transfer to the new host looks like it should take place next week, and then we can get cracking on the transfer to IP Board! So that's why we'll now need your funds.

You can donate your £25 pledge through the following PayPal link. I would rather have picked a 'donate' or 'subscribe' button, but each came with a problem, so a 'buy' button was simplest.

Thank you once again and I hope to see us on the new board very soon!

EDIT: Donations closed

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David, as you're already taking the hit with the hosting cost I'd be happy to pledge to cover the shortfall for this next stage.

That's extremely generous of you, Tay. In fact, I've had several very kind offers indeed from members by PM during this difficult period and I've been grateful for all of them - it's clear many people value BGO and want to do all they can to help.

I'm happy to cover it, though, Tay. Obviously I'll still be getting the money, just from Amazon over a slightly longer period. But thank you!

I've now received 5 pledge payments - thanks to everyone who's completed the process so far.

I did it, although paypal wouldn't accept my husband's account information from my computer, the link from BGO wouldn't work when I just sent him the page, and he couldn't find BGO when he tried to do it from his computer (he kept getting the page that says the Book Group Online is in the process of moving hosts). So I put it on my credit card, notwithstanding the currency fee that they impose on charges in non-U.S. currency (pretty small in this case, but still...).

I'm just telling you that so you'll know how much I wanted to contribute. Also, will that page that says that BGO is in the process of moving hosts now go away? I get it too if I don't access BGO through my favorites on my computer or tablet. I would imagine that would be discouraging to possible new members.

This address got me directly onto the forum

w w w . b o o k g r o u p o n l i n e . c o m / f o r u m /

but the one that should go to the 'front' page

w w w . b o o k g r o u p o n l i n e . c o m /

still has the 'moving hosts' message that went up when we were trying to find a new host, back in January.

I remember having to alter the address for my 'bookmarked' link.

No wonder returning members have been thin on the ground.

So I put it on my credit card, notwithstanding the currency fee that they impose on charges in non-U.S. currency (pretty small in this case, but still...).

It would look like that went through just fine (assuming you're HT), with only the small amount taken off by PayPal as a transaction fee that applies to all the payments. Thanks for taking on the currency conversion fee - I'd thought we'd take that hit, since that's what PayPal says.

I would imagine that would be discouraging to possible new members.

To be honest, even more discouraging is the fact I haven't been able to keep the forum open for registration. Instead I've had to open and close it each evening for new registrations, then go through and delete all the spambot registrations.

This and the fact the addresses haven't worked properly was down to what our current host wanted. Initially he hadn't wanted anyone to use the forum except the moderating team until we'd got the solution sorted. It was only because people had the .com/forum address saved as their favourite that they got in and he just accepted the situation. Given that it took 3 months until we received his proposal I just don't think the forum would have survived being off air for such a time to the established members.

Once we move everything will be put right and I hope we'll get the new forum as well very quickly.

Well, David, now I know why you are the other person who is "on" when I check in sometimes in the evening. I always thought it was because you are a night owl, but now I know it's because you are doing all that incredibly annoying work. I hope that's over with very soon and thank you for doing it.

And yes, I am HT.

Well, David, now I know why you are the other person who is "on" when I check in sometimes in the evening. I always thought it was because you are a night owl, but now I know it's because you are doing all that incredibly annoying work.

:D

Weeeell, in fact you were right the first time, Binker! I'm a real night owl - the opening and closing work is much earlier in the evening. I wouldn't want to suggest this takes me ages to do - once you know the routine you can do it pretty quickly. It's just the nuisance of doing it every night, and the knowledge that all the while registration is limited the site isn't going to grow.

And grasshopper, your payment has shown up - thank you. And to you too, Mr HG - I'm very grateful for your support.

Thank you, jfp.

In fact, special thanks are in order here since jfp made a generous donation to Bill back under Bill's tenure. Bill used this to pay the developer who hosted BGO back then to look into the question of upgrading us.

It was this work which meant a backup file was generated of BGO in 2011. This is what was used to restore the site with all the posts up to that point. So if it hadn't been for jfp's generosity back then, we would have been starting from scratch and all that incredible input by members over the years would have been lost.

So cheers, jfp - the site as it stands today would not exist were it not for you!

:beerchug: