Sign in to follow this  
megustaleer

Holiday Reading 2013

I have sorted out three books to take with me on holiday to Spain:

A Woman Unknown by Lucia Graves (daughter of poet Robert Graves)

Winter In Madrid by C.J.Sansom

The Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

Three doesn't seem many looking back on previous holidays, but that was back when I sat in the shade while the kids played on the beach. Nowadays I get out and about more. ;)

They all sound interesting, Meg. I have read The Prince of Mist and really loved it. But I love all books by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.

I also took How Steeple Sinderby Wanderers Won the FA Cup by J.L.Carr away with me, as I thought I ought to finish that before starting on my 'Spanish' selection.

I made a start on A Woman Unknown, but as it is mainly set in Catalonia, and we are intending to visit that region later in the year I put it to one side to read then.

I did more walking than reading this holiday, so in fact only got half way through Winter In Madrid and didn't pick up The Prince of Mist at all.

I am enjoying Winter In Madrid, but have a busy month ahead of me, so may not be doing much reading for a while.

Finished Winter In Madrid last weekend, on a short break at a Landmark Trust property in Cambridgeshire

The house used to be the warreners cottage, and is in a small spinney, perched on a ridge overlooking  Kimbolton Castle (the final home of Catherine of Aragon). There is a flat plain behind the spinney that had been a WWII airfield.

I mention this to explain the rest of my reading over the w/e.

Landmark Trust properties all come stocked with books (fiction and non-fiction) that are appropriate to the history of the house and the local area, so I had plenty of books about rabbits & rabbit keeping, WWII aircraft, airfields and airmen, and of course, books that feature the royal connection with Kimbolton castle.

I will, in due course, post a few comments about the books I picked from that eclectic collection

I finally read Small Wars by Sadie Jones (which you'll find mentioned on my TBR lists here from a loooong time ago...) on holiday this year. The incentive being that I was in Cyprus.

Found it's perspective on the troubles in the 50s really interesting, especially compared with the tour guides comments on the trips we took. One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter...

I made a start on A Woman Unknown, but as it is mainly set in Catalonia, and we are intending to visit that region later in the year I put it to one side to read then.

The holiday in Catalonia is coming up soon, so I have made a second start on A Woman Unknown

As I only managed half a book (if that) on our last holiday i thought I'd better get a head start with this.

It looks like Flingo and I are the only ones who went on holiday this year,  or who took books away with us

In  case I finish A Woman Unknown I am also taking Carlos Ruiz Zafón's YA novel The Prince of Mist. It doesn't appear to be set in Spain, but was originally written in Spanish and has been translated into English by Lucia Graves, which seemed to make it an appropriate book to read after her memoir.