Well, the TV show thread disappeared with the Great Loss (and no sign in the cache), so let's get it going again with the trailer for the latest season, which I am seriously looking forward to:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C1pbtBX9Kok" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Haven't watched any of the Game of Thrones but see it advertised on telly. Is it very violent? Tried watching The Bible on the History Channel and couldn't watch all the slicing and dicing that went on, terribly gory, although I may just have been watching a particularly bloody episode. :rolleyes:

Is it very violent?

It is, yes. That said, the violence isn't all that frequent, but when it happens it's very... authentic!

It's not shy of nudity, either.

However, it's one of the best things I've watched in years - hugely character driven and without the 'swords 'n' sorcery' feel you might expect from a superficial look. Not least because there's a great range of fantastic female characters.

I think that focus on character and a great script was shown by an earlier trailer for this season, which is just headshots and a speech:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1iTg20x7w2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• 2 months later...

I'll have to get back to you on that, Tess! I've saved a number on the Sky box for a splurge and have yet to get there.

Currently massively enjoying the transforming relationship between Jaime and Brienne. That's part of what the show does so brilliantly - taking us under the skin and finding our sympathies for people we disliked. The conversation in the baths was just wonderful, with all its revelations about Jaime following hard on the heels of his ever-worsening downfall.

Wow, wow, wowzer!! :yikes:

I am of course referring to the events of season 3 episode 9.

I won't drop any spoilers at this point but who watched it and what did you think?

I've read all the of the novels to date and it was pretty faithful to the book I felt, although the TV series didn't explain the importance of the host and guest sharing food on the guest's arrival (it was shown happening, but not explained, unlike in the novels).

Wow, wow, wowzer!! :yikes:

Indeed! Just caught up with it. And it seems to be episode 9 syndrome - that seems to be marked out as the big shock episode in each series. I knew something was coming from your reaction, but I was still totally surprised!

As for thoughts:

I've actually long thought that the weakest of the plot threads was Robb Stark and I've never felt much of an attachment to him. That's probably why the clues were there when he starts looking ahead to having little Ned - that's got to be a doom-laden portent and did admittedly start to help me warm to him more. It also made the repeated stabbing of Talisa in the stomach particularly horrific.

Out of all of them, it was Catelyn's demise that affected me most - especially in its manner. And of course it resonated far beyond the immediate deaths, finishing off the elder Starks and leaving the inheritance of justice-seeking with the younger children. Plus it alters the power dynamics considerably in Westeros as a whole.

A cracking episode. Can't wait for the finale!

Not such a jaw-dropping cliffhanger to the end of season 3 as we've been used to, but still a very satisfying close. After the incredible events of last week it was quite fitting to go out on more thoughtful notes, though still with all the twists and turns I love about GoT.

It feels like a long and barren wait for the next season!

• 3 weeks later...
Would like to make comments on Season 3 episode 9 but can't remember how to do spoilers and don't dare experiment in case I give anything away! All I can say right now is Ohhhhhh myyyy!

Just put it inside {SPOILER} Outrageous comments {/SPOILER}, but use square brackets instead of curlies.

I think it's the layers in the storytelling I've enjoyed the most. The realism underlying everything means you know no-one - no-one -is safe. Don't need to spoiler that bit because even if you've got as far as S1 Ep1 you'll know that.

But it's not just bad things happening randomly. They're either natural consequences/actions of the world we've been completely immersed in or consequences (direct or indirect) of the choices the characters themselves have made.

Arya is a delight. Worried about how she's going to turn out though. Ditto Denaerys.

Robb puts his own happiness over an arranged marriage and expects someone else to pick up the slack for him. Catelyn does the same in putting her family above her son's claim and need to establish his authority. Both of those give the Lannisters the opportunity to set up the trap they did.

And I still can't believe they got to the end of ANOTHER series without doing more on

the White Walkers!!!!!!

Apologies for any mis-spelled names!

• 9 months later...

I have made a few attempts to get into GoT, I must have watched the pilot four or five times and never wanted to watch much more, but I promised myself I would give it a fair go before forgetting all about it. So last week I took a day to watch the whole of the first season (it's Easter hols - not much else to do). Now I am on my second run through - it's absolutely fantastic. The characters, the messes they get into, the power struggles, the hideousness of certain characters...it's fantastic. Can't wait to watch season 2 now. Watching Daenrys (sp?) grow and change has been fascinating. My only complaint is that her hubby died - I liked him. A lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I love GoT, just finishing Series 3 on BluRay.  We don't have Sky and it's going to be aaaaaages before the currently airing season is available to buy.  Which is making me think I should listen to the audiobooks.  Anyone given them a go in that format?

I think the most refreshing thing about the program is the strong female characters, Dany being the best of the lot, but there are many others and it highlights how rare that is.  Yes, there are prostitutes too, but there are many disposable trivialised male characters too.  All the plotting and intrigue...brilliant stuff.

• 1 year later...

So, has anyone seen the penultimate episode of the current season (so I think that means Season 5, episode 9).  It was so disturbing that I am contemplating not watching the series anymore.  I probably will continue to watch, really, but I didn't like the complete about face in one character's character (so to speak) and of course I didn't like what happened, which is

Stannis burns his daughter to death at the stake as an offering to that lunatic Melisandre's god.  Her disbelief that her father was doing that to her, her screams of shock and then of terrible pain were terrible.  In the book, I think we are being led to having Melisandre do it to her when she has her in her clutches up on the wall, but I don't think Stannis would have done it.

• 1 month later...

I have to thank GoT greatly. As my eldest, now 14, grows up he also is growing away from me and we don't hang out as much. But he started watching GoT and asked if I would re-start watching it with him which we did. Now it is 'our thing'. No one in the house watches it and so we get left alone, just me and him on the sofa, sitting down to share this great TV show. We are currently about halfway through season 5 and are both completely in love with the show. He even has a House of Stark T shirt and hoodie.

Is anyone else still watching it?

We are still watching.  It's great that you and your son have that.  My son and I have stuff like that, but it's not even as highbrow as GoT.  We watch "World War Z" and "Courage the Cowardly Dog."  I have to say, Hazel, that I think you and your son would love that.

They film GoT in Croatia, particularly Dubrovnik and Split, so we saw lots of filming sites.  We did not go on a GoT tour in Dubrovnik (which you can do), but it didn't feel like we needed to because everyplace looked like it had been on the series.

Just finished season 5 and don't know how to do the spoiler thingamajiggy. Binker agree on your shock moment but for me there were a few others.

Having read all of the books and lets not forget the first book came out nearly 20 years ago. Went downhill from the third book for me and can see the series deviating now from the books (please :))

George RR Martin being a bit cagey about the next, For me he let too many threads to develop and hard to to see how to reconcile them all. Bran and Rickon never mentioned in this series.

The books could be endless, I would like the film series to develop now seperatlely

Edited by Clavain

Clavain, I agree with you.  I barely made it through the 5th book.  It was just excruciating.  So it's fine for them to deviate from the books, except for the shock moment.

I can see why people get hooked on the books, I read the first one, but don't want to invest anymore time in the others. I love the TV series though. I do spend some time hiding behind a cushion when the gory bits start. :D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...