Vote for the Summer 2012 BGO Book Group Read

found in the cache

tagesmann 6th August 2012 08:56 PM

Vote for the Summer 2012 BGO Book Group Read

The nominations are:

Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amazon

Jung Chang is a teen during the reign of Mao. Her autobiography tells of her hardships, her involvementes and her eventual escape during this time period in China. It also tells of her parents and great grandparents involvment in Mao's China, following three generations. This heartwrenching novel is brutally honest and the fact that its non-fiction makes it both harder and better to read.

Charles Dickens: A Life by Claire Tomalin

Quote:

Charles Dickens was a phenomenon: a demonicly hardworking journalist, the father of ten children, a tireless walker and traveller, a supporter of liberal social causes, but most of all a great novelist. At the age of twelve he was sent to work in a blacking factory by his affectionate but feckless parents. From these unpromising beginnings, he rose to scale all the social and literary heights, entirely through his own efforts. When he died, the world mourned, and he was buried - against his wishes - in Westminster Abbey. Yet the brilliance concealed a divided character: a republican, he disliked America; sentimental about the family in his writings, he took up passionately with a young actress; usually generous, he cut off his impecunious children.

Caravaggio: A Life Sacred and Profane by Andrew Graham-Dixon

Quote:

Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio lived the darkest and most dangerous life of any of the great painters. The worlds of Milan, Rome and Naples through which Caravaggio moved and which Andrew Graham-Dixon describes brilliantly in this book, are those of cardinals and whores, prayer and violence. On the streets surrounding the churches and palaces, brawls and swordfights were regular occurrences. In one such fight Caravaggio killed Ranuccio Tomassoni, a pimp, and fled to Naples and then Malta, home to the Knights of St John, where he escaped from prison following his conviction for another vicious assault. Shortly afterwards he died while returning to Rome to seek a papal pardon for his crimes. He was thirty-eight years old.

tagesmann 6th August 2012 11:28 PM

I should have said...

The poll is open to all BGO members whether you are new to the forum or a long time member or subscriber. Everyone is welcome to vote and to join in the read and the subsequent discussion.

tagesmann 9th August 2012 02:12 PM

Only six votes so far.

And it is a dead heat.

Cassie 11th August 2012 03:30 PM

Either of the top two are very tempting, but knowing I won't have time to read a long book at the moment I'm not going to vote :( Looking forward to reading the comments later.

tagesmann 11th August 2012 08:12 PM

Just over 24 hours left to vote.

It's still close...

lunababymoonchild 11th August 2012 10:11 PM

I've read the Jung Chang - and excellent it was too - so I'll be going for the other two.

tagesmann 12th August 2012 09:05 PM

Thanks to everyone who voted.

Lectora 13th August 2012 01:39 PM

I've just bought the Kindle edition of the Claire Tomalin' Dickens. I've got the Jung Chang in my TBR pile and I voted for it but as the Dickens won the contest, do I read that first?

lunababymoonchild 13th August 2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lectora

I've just bought the Kindle edition of the Claire Tomalin' Dickens. I've got the Jung Chang in my TBR pile and I voted for it but as the Dickens won the contest, do I read that first?

Free to do as you please Lectora, the Group Read has a very long time to run. So much so that I usually manage two out of the three by the time the next one comes up.

momac 13th August 2012 01:51 PM

Have ordered a copy of Charles Dickens from Amazon, UK - should have it in about 10 days. Unfortunately I can't get a Kindle edition, Amazon.UK Kindle is only for 'in country'.

Barblue 13th August 2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momac

Have ordered a copy of Charles Dickens from Amazon, UK - should have it in about 10 days. Unfortunately I can't get a Kindle edition, Amazon.UK Kindle is only for 'in country'.

Also in the UK Tescos have it on sale for £3.86! Sorry, I know that doesn't help you either. :o

momac 13th August 2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barblue

Also in the UK Tescos have it on sale for £3.86! Sorry, I know that doesn't help you either. :o

Hi Barblue: The postage to send it to me is often as much or just slightly less than the book. However, the purchase is for a good cause. :D