Sign in to follow this  
David

Site Work

Over the course of the next week or two our new host will be taking a careful look at the site and how it operates. This may involve some work which causes the site to disappear from time to time, so...

dontpanicmarvinltr.jpg

All is fine and you'll find BGO back very soon afterwards.

Just a quick suggestion from me. It might be a good idea to create a new forum called 'Site news and Feedback'.

As it stands these threads are here in the 'Central Library' which is mostly for general book chat and reading lists etc.

The kinds of things that could go into feedback would be suggestions for features such as a 'Thanks' Button or to allow embedding of You tube videos using the [Youtube] tag.

It's simple to set up a new forum via AdminCP and only takes a few minuts so worthwhile thinking about.

The site news could be posted in this forum although of course you could also use sitewide or forum specific announcements for the most important news.

Just a thought :)

Just a quick suggestion from me. It might be a good idea to create a new forum called 'Site news and Feedback'.

Thanks for that! In terms of organisation that does sound sensible. In a way, though, we already have something very similar with the Announcements and Tips forum - perhaps we should think about renaming that to encourage suggestions too? I've popped these announcements in Central Library in order to make them more prominent, because things can get missed at the bottom of the homepage.

I did consider the announcements function but that somehow always looks too prominent and urgent to me - I've never really liked it.

We will certainly be seeking everyone's input for ideas about improving the forum when we get to the upgrade, but for the moment we're keeping things very static whilst the new host examines the site - that's why I've stopped new sign-ups except for the evening window.

You can already embed YouTube videos, by the way. There's no button for it (though maybe there is in the new vBulletin we're intending to get) but you can copy and paste the code from YouTube and it works. Several years ago it didn't because HTML was disabled by default, but we changed that.

Take your point about cluttering Central Library - I'll probably move most of the recovery threads down to Announcements and Tips in a day or two.

David- any idea why the main URL for the site still says we're in the process of migrating but accessing /forum brings us here and it's working?

Our new host was trying to bring us back 'quietly' so we could work on things, but didn't realise that everyone will have had the /forum address bookmarked as opposed to the basic .com. Consequently it came as a surprise to them when people started turning up and there was a bit of confusion.

All now sorted and they have very kindly allowed us to stay online even though nothing is being paid. They will get a proper plug for their services and generosity when we've got everything sorted out.

The .com address retains that message so as not to generate more activity on the site than we can avoid. Once we're properly sorted it will be taken down.

Yes, I've tried to get on using the first BGO line that comes up but that just tells me that it's not up yet, but if I move down to one of the sub menus about FAQ it puts me right through to BGO.

Noticed a little downtime this morning, changes afoot? :)

Changes a-knee at the moment - we'll get down to the foot eventually!

Whether that was down to our host doing anything I'm not sure. I would doubt it, actually.

That said, they have now been able to turn their attention to BGO and we're looking at options. I'm still waiting for an email from the developer setting out exactly what he hopes to do and the costs involved - then we can start making some decisions.

Yes, I had to try a couple of times to get on BGO but Google told me the web page couldn't be found, went back later and it was fine.

To keep you all up to date with how things are moving on, our developer has now been able to look at things more carefully and come up with a way forward.

This seems likely to mean a move to new forum software since the cost of upgrading vBulletin is very prohibitive. So at the moment we're trying out a test area for new software to see how it compares with the current incarnation.

It's not without promise, but may be a case of swings and roundabouts - better in some ways, more limited in others. We'll keep you posted.

To keep you all up to date with how things are moving on, our developer has now been able to look at things more carefully and come up with a way forward.

This seems likely to mean a move to new forum software since the cost of upgrading vBulletin is very prohibitive. So at the moment we're trying out a test area for new software to see how it compares with the current incarnation.

It's not without promise, but may be a case of swings and roundabouts - better in some ways, more limited in others. We'll keep you posted.

Nervous :quiver:

Nervous :quiver:

Yes, I sympathise, BP! Sadly there just isn't a perfect solution to this one.

One thing's for sure: we can't stay as we are. We can't go back to the spam-ridden state we were in and the software is so ancient there really is going to come a point where it grinds to a halt, not least because the entire technology on which the web runs moves on.

The new forum software actually has many things going for it and will give us the potential to do some new and interesting things. Once we've paid to move into it, the whole annual cost of running the forum will also be massively reduced - so much so that we could potentially cover it all from Amazon takings!

But there's a question mark at the moment about whether we will be able to save the author indexes, and undoubtedly that would be a great loss. I did set out at the very beginning that this was a very high priority in the site's upgrade, but ultimately that may bring prohibitive costs.

We were always going to hit this day, I'm afraid, whether Bill had carried on or not. But you can be sure we'll make the best of it and whatever we decide on will ultimately be a whole membership decision - nothing will happen without consulting you all first.

Yes, I sympathise, BP! Sadly there just isn't a perfect solution to this one.

We were always going to hit this day, I'm afraid, whether Bill had carried on or not. But you can be sure we'll make the best of it and whatever we decide on will ultimately be a whole membership decision - nothing will happen without consulting you all first.

Thanks for sticking with it, David and all mods. We know whatever gets decided in the end will be the best possible outcome.

Thanks for sticking with it, David and all mods. We know whatever gets decided in the end will be the best possible outcome.
Hear hear! :)

Yes, thanks to everyone for all you are doing on our collective behalf. Also thanks David for keeping us informed.

Yes, thanks to everyone for all you are doing on our collective behalf. Also thanks David for keeping us informed.

What Barblue said..............

Another update.

Things are going to move quickly now, although not for good reasons.

BGO has been hosted for free since we returned after Christmas. This was very generous of the host and was being done as a favour. However, we then had a very long wait before the developer provided a costed plan for moving forward.

When that came it featured the concept of building an actual website to which free forum software could be attached. BGO would be transferred into that.

However, as we looked at the free software it became increasingly clear it would not serve the community well. It was a lot more limited in what it could do and I felt we couldn't go with that. The developer suggested I find other forum software which would meet our needs, but when I did he said he was not familiar with it, after which he decided he wasn't interested in other alternatives and since I didn't wish to go with his original plan he has asked us to leave his server. This is a great shame.

So I'm in the process of finding another developer and host. I'm currently waiting for some firm costs from the leading contender. When that happens, though, I will need to gather funds quickly - remember BGO is a self-funding community now. If we can't raise it then, frankly, that's the end of BGO. But if we can then we'll have a great new forum. There might even be a chance of saving the author indexes!

So please stop by regularly this week and see if there's any more news. I'm not sure if I'll be able to send an email asking for the funds, so it's important to keep an eye out.

You're welcome, Binker.

Unfortunately, the current host has banned us from sending emails to members so this isn't going to help the fund-gathering process. I would be grateful if people could start spreading the word in places they know other BGO members hang out that they need to keep an eye on Central Library in readiness for the call!

Thanks for all your efforts David - will check in each day to see what's happening. :)

thanks david.

i'll keep checking back this week :)

To keep you up to date with developments, we are currently waiting for the domain registrations to complete their transfer, after which our new host will move the site to his server.

Thanks David, you're doing a great job in keeping us informed. :)