Sign in to follow this  
r3nu4l

Mrs. Brown's Boys

Does anyone here watch this show? It's on BBC One and stars Dublin comedian/actor/novelist Brendan O'Carroll in the central role of Mrs. Brown.

He employs plenty of the old-fashioned straight-to-camera look as pioneered by early silent film stars such as Oliver Hardy. He also employs slapstick too.

Overall I love the show, plenty of down-to-earth humour and giving an air of not taking itself too seriously :)

It's a show that really divides people! Interestingly, my mother, who hates bad language in comedy, really likes it. I think because it actually includes a lot of more traditional humour alongside the ripe language and risqué content. But let's face it, Max Miller was pretty filthy, albeit through innuendo - this is nothing new.

I do certainly laugh but don't go out of my way to watch it.

It's one of my favourite shows at the moment. Refreshingly different. The "to camera" pieces are cleverly done and the way that some of the potential out-takes are left in gives it an extra dose of quirkiness.

I hadn't realised that most of the cast are from the same family. Mrs Brown's daughter is played by his wife. Neither did I know that there are several books upon which the series is based, but it started off as a radio show. I was, however, aware of the meaning of Mrs B's catch phrase, "That's nice."

I went to watch a live Mrs Brown's boys show at the Apollo last year. Very disappointing. They just repeated everything that's already been on the telly, so we left feeling ripped off. Even the "mistakes" they made on the television showings were repeated, but I think would have felt overly contrived, even if we'd not already seen it.

I don't understand why it's called Mrs Brown's Boys when there's a daughter :confused: and Rory's character is a really corny gay stereotype as if it's been written by someone who's only just realising that the world has moved on.

Having said that, there's been some moments that have made me roar with laughter - e.g. the bikini wax story, but I'd definitely not recommend the live show.

I went to watch a live Mrs Brown's boys show at the Apollo last year. Very disappointing. They just repeated everything that's already been on the telly, so we left feeling ripped off. Even the "mistakes" they made on the television showings were repeated, but I think would have felt overly contrived, even if we'd not already seen it.

Well the live shows and plays came first, long before the TV show was around. I think that O'Carroll basically hasn't updated the live show, perhaps in fear that people will want to see what they are already familiar with. About 10 years ago I went to see a live version of the show 'Bottom', in Dublin. I got a few laughs but the stage show was very different to the TV show, apart from the over the top violence where they beat each other with frying pans etc. Mayall and Edmondson must have realised that the audience weren't exactly impressed with not getting 'exactly what they see on TV' because at one point Mayall said 'Oh come on Adrian, these people came here to see us belting each other with frying pans' before they launched into the very familiar routine. It's a Catch22.

I don't understand why it's called Mrs Brown's Boys when there's a daughter :confused:

It's the Irish Mammy syndrome where her boys can do no wrong and are angels while the daughter is loved...but still can't do anything right. :D

Rory's character is a really corny gay stereotype as if it's been written by someone who's only just realising that the world has moved on.

Most comedic gay men are portrayed exactly the same, have you ever seen 'Gimme, gimme, gimme'? Will and Grace was also full of stereotypes but was a much more polished show so people didn't really care.

Having said that, there's been some moments that have made me roar with laughter - e.g. the bikini wax story, but I'd definitely not recommend the live show.

I would definitely recommend the books, although I had read the books about 15 years ago now so I had no idea how Agnes was supposed to look so had a different picture of her in my head. The books are funny, sad and sweet at the same time. I think they were called 'The Mammy', 'The Chissellers' and 'The Granny' if I recall correctly.