Sign in to follow this  
David

BGO is Back!

Somewhat by chance I noticed that the .com address for BGO is now live. In fact the .co.uk address has been active for several days now but we've kept quiet about that because currently we are here due to the considerable generosity of our new host - more about that shortly.

In the meantime, since I see members have already found us, I'm sorry for the disruption, which was beyond our control, and I'm mightily pleased to see we're back.

But we have some sorting out to do - as explained in the recent email, which I'll repeat below, BGO is now no longer connected with Bill and will operate as a community. We will need to fund ourselves through Amazon receipts and annual subscriptions. But until we get some figures from the new hosting company - which is currently busy looking through our ancient software to assess the upgrade possibilities and prices - we won't be able to present you with firm costed options. So, watch this space...

But above all, welcome back - it will be good to see you all!

Here is the copy of our recent explanatory email:

Dear BGO member

Even those of you who only visit Bookgroup Online sporadically will probably have noticed the site has been down since a few weeks before Christmas. This came out of the blue for all of us who run the site and it took a long time to establish exactly what had happened.

Without going into too much unnecessary detail, the situation is as follows.

The site was founded by Bill, who has paid for it since the end of 2004. Every year, as regulars will know, this has been at a loss. Some years ago, Bill found he no longer had the interest in BGO to continue as a participating member, but continued to meet the fees. This was done by standing order.

Unfortunately, for reasons about which we are still unclear, the standing order was no longer being paid. Bill was not aware of this. The hosting company, Distortion, sent him emails about this, but he assures me these were not received.

As a consequence, Distortion ended the contract. The result of this was that BGO was not only taken offline, but all files at the server were deleted.

As you can imagine, this was devastating. The thought of some 8 years of contributions from people around the world disappearing into the winds was just horrible to contemplate.

However, since then there has been a lot of work behind the scenes and some much better news for everyone who valued BGO.

The problems between Bill and Distortion were resolved and Andrew – the web developer behind Distortion – retrieved an old file he had kept when looking into the question of an upgrade. This means BGO can be restored, but we will only have the posts and members up to February 2011. I’m afraid everything since then has gone, although there are other alternatives we can consider when the site is live again to recover some of this – including members’ valued reading lists.

Bill will no longer own BGO. He has generously donated the domain to its membership and we intend to restore BGO as a collective. With an annual subscription for those who wish to help and the Amazon takings this should be more than manageable – not least because we are moving to a new host which will charge around half the previous costs.

When we’re ready to go live we will ask for commitments from people who would like to contribute to keep BGO going. This will be in the form of annual subscriptions, plus a likely one-off extra to get the site properly updated so we’re fit for the future.

Obviously BGO’s survival will depend upon these commitments and if not enough people wish to help then that really will be the end. However, I am confident we will be able to achieve this.

This has been a difficult time and it’s been impossible to communicate with members properly before the main site was recovered – many thanks to all those who have been spreading the word through Facebook and personal emails.

It shouldn’t be long now before we return and we very much look forward to seeing old faces again!

BGO emails are not overly reliable in terms of getting to everyone, and of course anyone who joined since February 2011 will no longer be registered! So do let others know this news if you are in contact with them.

We’ll be back in contact very soon.

David, megustaleer, Grammath, tagesmann, Minxminnie

GREAT to see the site back, I've very much missed everybody and was looking forward to finding out members' Christmas arrangements and reading plans.

A very big thank you to you and the mod team for what must have been a massive amount of work behind the scenes during the festive season to get the site back.

Hey everyone, great to see that the site is back. Thanks to David and Meg for keeping me up to date with the situation, I hadn't posted much over the past year but I was distraught when I noticed that the site had gone! New Year's Resolution: take part more!

Great to see BGO back. I've missed you all more than I realised I would - or perhaps ought to admit to. The word addiction does come to mind.

Many grateful thanks to tagesmann, who originally contacted me and all the Moderators and David. Eternally grateful for all your work.

Please BGO is back, I haven't been a regular poster for a few years but was sad to see that it had gone. I will now have to make an effort to visit more recently.

Great to see the site back! Had created a new user account in 2012 so have just had to re-create that.

Huge thanks to everyone involved in the restoration. Long-time reader but infrequent poster: another one in the "resolution for 2013: take part more!" camp :)

Oh, it is lovely to see old friends. Great to see you again Jeremy and you Chuntzy. The problem I'll have with those who are re-registering with new names is that I will not know if I already know them and what if anything we've discussed previously. Could be embarrassing :o - or confusing :confused: !

Folks, we may have to take a rain check on the site for a time. You saw my own surprise at the start of the thread that the main site was now live - I'm getting messages that this wasn't the intention of our new hosts, who I must stress have been very generous with their time and effort so far, so whatever they want goes. If we go down again for a period I'm sorry, but at least you all know we're back, even if we have to take a short break!

Wonderful to see BGO is back. Admittedly I do little more than maintain my reading lists, but it's always fascinating to see what others are reading. I'm definitely up for paying an annual subscription, so I'll look forward to hearing more on that subject. Meanwhile, welcome back!

I just reassigned, since I was one of those who joined later than 2011. I had already guessed that something like this must have happened when the site was down. I am happy to find that it has not gone for good but is active again! Good work by all of you!

Great to see the forum back. I hadn't posted in recent times due to ill health, but did have a little sneaky read every now and then. Hope to be more active now.

Great to see the forum back. I hadn't posted in recent times due to ill health, but did have a little sneaky read every now and then. Hope to be more active now.

Hope you're feeling better Nellie?

And many thanks to all involved in the BGO resurrection including our new hosts.

My cheque book is primed ............

It is nice to have BGO back. I had no idea what had happened until I started getting the message about a new server and then it was just a matter of waiting.