21 members have voted

1. 1. Which book would you like to read

• Fiesta / The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
    • The Maltese Flacon - Dashiell Hammett
    • The Beautiful and the Damned - F Scott Fitzgerald
    • Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

The nominations are:

The Sun Also Rises / Fiesta by Ernest Hemingway

Paris in the twenties: Pernod, parties and expatriate Americans, loose-living on money from home. Jake is wildly in love with Brett Ashley, aristocratic and irresistibly beautiful, but with an abandoned, sensuous nature that she cannot change.

When the couple drifts to Spain to the dazzle of the fiesta and the heady atmosphere of the bullfight, their affair is strained by new passions, new jealousies, and Jake must finally learn that he will never possess the woman he loves.

Powerful, intense, visually magnificent, Fiesta is the novel which established Ernest Hemingway as a writer of genius.

The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett

It set the standard by which the private eye genre is judged. Sam Spade is hired by the fragrant Miss Wonderley to track down her sister, who has eloped with a louse called Floyd Thursby. But Miss Wonderley is in fact the beautiful and treacherous Brigid O'Shaughnessy, and when Spade's partner Miles Archer is shot while on Thursby's trail, Spade finds himself both hunter and hunted: can he track down the jewel-encrusted bird, a treasure worth killing for, before the Fat Man finds him?

The Beautiful and the Damned by F Scott Fitzgerald

Anthony and Gloria are the essence of Jazz Age glamour. A brilliant and magnetic couple, they fling themselves at life with an energy that is thrilling. New York is a playground where they dance and drink for days on end. Their marriage is a passionate theatrical performance; they are young, rich, alive and lovely and they intend to inherit the earth. But as money becomes tight, their marriage becomes impossible. And with their inheritance still distant, Anthony ang Gloria must grow up and face reality; they may be beautiful but they are also damned.

A vivid depiction of life amid the glitter of Jazz Age New York.

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Far in the future, the World Controllers have finally created the ideal society. In laboratories worldwide, genetic science has brought the human race to perfection. From the Alpha-Plus mandarin class to the Epsilon-Minus Semi-Morons, designed to perform menial tasks, man is bred and educated to be blissfully content with his pre-destined role.

But, in the Central London Hatchery and Conditioning Centre, Bernard Marx is unhappy. Harbouring an unnatural desire for solitude, feeling only distaste for the endless pleasures of compulsory promiscuity, Bernard has an ill-defined longing to break free. A visit to one of the few remaining Savage Reservations where the old, imperfect life still continues, may be the cure for his distress…

Equally a denunciation of capitalism and communism, so far as they discourage man from thinking freely, Brave New World is one of the most important books to have been published since the war.

21 votes so far and one of the closest polls we have had for some time. If you haven't voted yet, you have until Mondat id-morning.

Go on, you know you want to.

It's a tie!

So do people want to a) read both, B) make a personal choice of which one to read and we have threads on both, or c) have a vote-off?

Let's do A & B that way if someone wants to read both they can or just one they can. We can have a thread for each book and one that is a comparison. I'm really excited as it's two of the three I wanted to win.

Maybe we should give an extra couple of weeks before we vote/pick the next one.

There's time enough for people to read both and sufficient people voting for each book to ensure a decent discussion in both camps, so it makes sense to have two books as the selection and people can decide on one or both.

Well I'm glad there is a consensus. I have all four books already so it suits me to read both of the winners.

And I'll follow bobblington's suggestion and allow some extra time before the next read (if necessary).

Works for me. I proposed Brave New World and have, I think, already read it twice down the years. The Maltese Falcon is one of those books that has been sitting on the shelves for more years than I care to think about.

Managed to get The Maltese Falcon at the library today. Needless to say it was in the basement so I feel as if I have liberated it! :)

Mine are ordered from Amazon (I did try the online catalogue for the local library but all four books would have needed to be ordered, so I didn't) and a wee tate will go to BGO, which is always worth it. They will arrive on Wednesday.

I'll order The Maltese Falcon and for discussion purposes will also try to remember as much as I can from my early 20s reading of Brave New World

I have ordered my copy of Maltese Falcon from Amazon Marketplace, looking forward to reading it, has been in mind to read for a long time. I read Brave New World in my 20s too, but I suspect I will have to read again to refresh my memory - look forward to contributing to my first bookgroup reads.

Cheers

Richard

Amazingly my Library had both and neither are in the secret basement! I've popped both on hold, so I should be with books by next week and I won't have broken the current rule of my house - which is to purchase no more books.

Lovely!

I just received my copy of The Maltese Falcon - I was depending on it being chosen, and had ordered it a couple of days ago.

I have both of these books already, which is good because I am housebound by ice. I've already started The Maltese Falcon.

Delighted to be able to remove one book from the TBR pile - Brave New World. I'm trying to be good about buying books this year so will be trying to resist buying the other.

I ordered one (1p in amazon marketplace) of them and asked a bookcrosser to send me their copy of the other one so I'm all set! (Or will be when they arrive). And I managed not to spend much.