Do You Borrow or Buy?

megustaleer

From my childhood I was a regular user of the public library and both my children joined the library as toddlers.

Then the local library started stocking its shelves with popular paperbacks, and I stopped being able to find books I liked. I once went into the library with a list of 29 books to choose from, and found just one!

Nowadays, apart from books lent by members of my bookgroups, any book I want to read, I buy (apart from plants for the garden it is my only indulgence). I haven't been to the library for years.

Do you borrow or buy?

Borrow, most definately. My parents got me a library card from when I was very little (I discovered just how little when I tried to update information on my card a few years ago only to find that my address was a place I hadn't lived since I was two!) so I was always getting books out from there! After I'd worked my way through the (very small) young adults section I started buying books myself, and didn't stop buying them until I came to uni. Now I tend to borrow off of friends and relatives whenever possible. Up until today I don't think I'd actually bought a book for myself since October... a scarily long time actually. :confused:

If I'm working I'll buy a book, but if I'm strapped I'll quite happily use the library. My local small-town library is pretty good. My only gripe is the way they handle paperbacks. They are shunted into off into those revolveable upright affairs into which the librarians push too many books.

If The Lovely Rebecca my local librarian is reading this, I don't mean you ;)

Both.

Absolutely no complaints about the library service Rupert and co. run in my London borough, although I'm close to exhausting their supply of interesting audiobooks :( . They must be fairly well funded as it is usually not long from a book's publication until it turns up on their shelves.

I keep telling myself I ought to make more use of the library, but then I walk in a bookstore and.....

The real world book group I belong to is also library based.

It is annoying, though, to have purchased a book only to find they already have a copy.

I used to be a library member, a very long time ago, but after leaving school and getting a job I began buying my own books. It sounds terrible but there's nothing like a fresh, new book that tracks all the marks of you having read and reread it. Plus I can't tolerate page folders, spine creasers and 'having a coffee while I read' readers! I know I am anal about my books but it's my cross to bear! Now, I sell the books that won't be staying on my shelves on eBay and that way I can keep my bookbuyingbalance in the black!

I do both. I usually borrow non-fiction from the library and buy fiction (mostly second-hand paperbacks).

My local library has just set up an online catalogue which has really encouraged me to use the library more. I can even renew the books online - very helpful as I always seem to end up with fines!

I always used to buy but since I have moved down to norfolk I always borrow from the library. They also have an online catalogue and reservation service so I look for all the latest ones I want on Amazon and then reserve them at the library for 40p each.

I use the library most of the time even though reservations are now 90p. It's still cheaper than buying. There is a very good online catalogue and they do seem to get books quickly. I can also order them before they arrive in the library if it's in the catalogue.

I used to buy when I worked full time and would love to buy more now but finances stop me!!

News for those 'buyers' out there:-

THIS WEEK ONLY

TESCO ONLINE IS OFFERING FREE DELIVERY ON ALL BOOKS AND ENTERTAINMENT!!!!!

Borrow, borrow, borrow!

From the library, which is only 5 minutes walk from my house and which is well stocked and friendly, (and child-friendly too). I browse and choose things that catch my eye, or I order stuff. (Wish that the catalogue was online, though, and it's very annoying to use)

Also borrow a lot from friends and family who recommend things.

I only tend to buy if it's from a second hand or charity shop, so it's cheap - or if it's something that I'm likely to want to read more than once, or refer to reasonably often.

I occasionally borrow, but I find a dog-eared paperback far less appealing than a crisp fresh one, however good the words inside may be!!

More often I buy from ebay or a charity shop. I sell on through ebay too which helps with the expense. Don't often pay full price for a book, which is probably a bad thing for book shops and authors but £7.99 is a significant amount from my salary.

The price of books is prohibitive but these days you very rarely have to pay full price, hardbacks are always competitive in shops and the likes of Amazon, and eBay make things much more appealing. I guess there is always more expensive habits to keep up with that are far worse for your health.

I try to stick to a budgeted amount each month to be spent on books and if I reach my maximum then it's onto my Amazon wishlist till the next month! Also, Oxford World Classics are very well priced and good quality books so I guess when times are hard then we read books about when times were hard!

As a Librarian, I am sure I should say that I only ever borrow books.....

That would be a lie - I "acquire" a lot of books through friends in publishing, and I have to read books for work which they send me through as new.

I am a sucker for "3 for 2" offers, and the Asda shelves.

I will borrow books from work - but they are often impulsive or I request something for bok groups.

I'm afraid I agree that I like my books fresh and unyellowed.

But don't tell anyone I work with that I said that!!!!

I do both and it depends on how much money I have... I'm still trying to flog a few medieval French texts through Amazon from uni... if anyone wants a really rare copy of 'Le Duc du Vrais Amans' give me a pm! ;) If I was a student again I'd borrow the whole time, i learned that as I got further into my course and further into my overdraft!

Now I'm free from the tyranny of getting educated, i actually miss my uni library (you don't know what you've got till its gone...). My local library is a bit of a building site at th emo, there's red and white 'murder scene' tape everywhere for no apparent reason (hopefully not a murder anyway). The only things you have a fair guarantee of finding are 'Classics', even the catalogue isn't that great in Glasgow - I was looking for more of the 'Little House' books this weekend (current obsession) and in the whole of Glasgow there are 2 copies of 'Little House on the Prairie'... and hardly any of the others... its also not that good for finding modern stuff. All the same, I usually have somehting out of the library at any one time. The last book I bought for myself: 99p classics Persuasion and Villette...

I do both. I borrow from my local library, and I pay large sums of money to my old university so I can continue to borrow books from their library, I buy and sell books on ebay and amazon, and I haunt bookstores. The only place I have never bought a book is a supermarket.

I am a borrower not a buyer. Joined the library in the days of the brown card tickets - hope I am not the only one who remembers those.

The on-line catalogue is brilliant for reservations, which incidentally only cost 25p in my area.

Enjoy browsing in second hand book shops (the untidier the better), where I can be tempted by a cookery book.

I am a borrower not a buyer. Joined the library in the days of the brown card tickets - hope I am not the only one who remembers those.

I remember the brown cards well. I was so proud when I moved up from the children's section to the adults (sad I know!)

I was only saying to my children about the library yesterday. I have to confess I am a big buyer, for myself and my children. They all enjoy reading, but I don't think they read with the same fervour as I did as a child, when those books had to be back in three weeks (they were normally back at the library within the week :) ). I am just so seduced by beautiful new books.

Second hand bookshops are always find, you always find somthing random and cool! And also the book you wanted for half the price!

Absolutely. The best bit about second hand bookshops is that you don't just get whatever happens to be recently published and "in" - you come across all sorts of wierd and wonderful things that you've never heard of.

(Also remember brown card tickets - with pink ones for children)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm definately a buyer. I have alwasy lived in small rural areas where the libraries either kept impossible hours so it was never open when you could get there or they simply just did not have anything that appealed to me (and they were also a little behind in catching up with that entire "ordering books from other libraries thing") SO I started buying books from the getgo.

I worked at a major bookstore for a while where not only did we get a VERY healthy employee discount, but you would also get little appreciation points. Each point was good for a five dollar gift certificate to the bookstore - I'm certain they could be used for other things as well but I kind of heard that part and tuned everything else out :o

Also, I tend to gravitate toward books that are rare and out of print, so I spent a lot of time venturing back and forth across the province to various second hand bookstores trying to find copies of the books I want.

And it's probably just as well that I buy instead of borrow. Allow me to just quote hazel for a moment ;)

"I can't tolerate page folders, spine creasers and 'having a coffee while I read' readers!"

I do ALL of those. I buy a book to be loved. Usually the first thing I do when I get a new book is crack the spine so that it is more comfortable to hold. By the time I've read and re-read most of my books, they are in pretty well-loved condition :D I wouldn't be able to do that if I borrowed. While notoriously hard on my own books, I am very overprotective of books that I borrow - usually so worried about damaging the book that I don't end up enjoying it as much.

I do both. I have a huge amount of books at home, and to be honest, I really don't see myself parting with too many of them. However, I do use the local library an awful lot.

I'm a one-woman crusade against page-turners. It's the one thing I just can't bear to see - though I blame that on one of my favourite lecturers at library school. :D