Sign in to follow this  
lunababymoonchild

2011 Reading Aspirations

Moving on from my Reading Achievements thread, I was wondering if anybody had any reading aspirations for this year? Even loose/informal intentions and opposed to (gasp) NY's Resolutions.

As mentioned on the previous thread, I aspire to work on my 'some books are too intellectual' misapprehension and also my page count/reading rate sometime obsession. There may be more that occur as time goes by or there may be none. I may not even get to the aforementioned, it's not written in tablets of stone and if I don't get to it there won't be dire consequences. What I can guarantee is that no matter what happens, I'll still continue to read.

Anybody else got a reading plan or informal reading intentions?

Beyond trying to keep up with my academic reading, and my customary resolution to read some Dickens this year, no specific aspirations.

I still have The Children's War on my TBR pile and would love to think that I will actually get it down and start reading it this year. It has been sitting there for a few years now - since I read the thread on here and could not resiist buying it!

I'm doing two courses at the same time between Feb and June and then still studying till September so...

my goal is to read at least 5 fiction books this year.

Just an aim to prompt me to make at least some time for leasure reading.

I'm currently reading the Count of monte cristo which is a biggun so that will take a while-but I am seriousely enjoying every single tiny second of it so I don't care if it takes a while. I've not been so excited by a book for a while.

I have a feeling that my reading list will be brief and shakespeare packed this year. ;)

And yeah I probably need to stop looking at what page number I am on and working out how much is left. I don't know where that habit came from....probably reading drivel for past courses. Anyway I'm not on a mission to fill my list so I should try not to do that.

And yeah I probably need to stop looking at what page number I am on and working out how much is left. I don't know where that habit came from....probably reading drivel for past courses.

I still do that, and I put it down to uni which was 25 yrs ago. I've learned to live with it, but I think if I had a Kindle, I would be oppressed by the percentage read being shown on the screen.

OH and I have agreed to make significant dents in our TBR's (mine is twice the size of his!) before we look at buying any more books. He's also planning to make more use of our local library. Libraries are not my problem, I borrowed 2 reading and 1 audio book from mine (by work rather than home) today - despite above agreement to dent TBR first (the books were holds I'd placed before the agreement was made that both came in today - oops).

I also want to 'read' at least one audio book a month since I get 1 free each month on Audible (I always make sure it's more expensive than my months membership fee!). I've just started the Attenbury Diamonds by Jill Paton Walsh.

I also would like to read more of the non-ficiton on my TBR, so currently the plan is to read one a month around my fiction - if I start taking the bus again this will not be a problem as I find reading non-fiction into work and fiction out of work is a charming way to ensure I don't fall asleep on the way home, and that i've kick started my brain on the way in.

Despite all this I am not worried if I don't manage any of them, books are tempting and I am quite happy to give into them as I'm pretty sure they won't kill me (unless I really do fall from the top floor in Glasgow Waterstones onto the pile of 342).

I am going to have to be much less extravagant this year when it comes to buying books (and everything else thanks to our governments austerity budget). I am trying not to pine over my Amazon wish list but to view it as an opportunity to reduce the TBR pile which contains well over 300 books.

I still do that, and I put it down to uni which was 25 yrs ago. I've learned to live with it, but I think if I had a Kindle, I would be oppressed by the percentage read being shown on the screen.

I have the app on my ipod touch (mostly just for all the free classics.) and yes I look at the blasted bar.

I have the app on my ipod touch (mostly just for all the free classics.) and yes I look at the blasted bar.

Is the display % optional, or can that be disabled?

Is the display % optional, or can that be disabled?

Mine is an Iphone app so I am not sure it is exactly the same as the program on kindle.

The progress bar is hidden when reading but all it takes is a tap of the screen to bring it back.

:)

i'd like to add some more authors from countries i've not read anything from.

to this end, i did get "purple hibiscus" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and it's sitting on my tbr shelf.

i'd particularly like to expand the latin american & carribean section of my book shelf further (colombia, chile, peru and argentina are representated as is also Cuba)

I'm going to use my library as much as possible. Bless it. I have all the new releases on pre-order, and enjoy knowing that I'm 37th in a queue of 65 to get the next Val McDermid, or whatever.

No more waiting a year for the paperback to come out cos I'm too stingy to buy hardback.