Sign in to follow this  
chuntzy

Italian Noir and Scandinavian Noir

In the last fortnight on BBC4 there have been interesting one hour programmes on both these genres of crime fiction. Whereas I'd heard of (and read some of) the Scandinavian crime writers, it was only the Italian Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano novels that I've dipped into and enjoyed.

Worth catching up with if you can.

I also saw the Scandanavian programme. I was aware of the existence of most of the authors mentioned but have only read "Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow" and a few Wallender novels. The Millennium trilogy and works by Jo Nesbo and Arnaldur Indridasson sit on the shelves patiently awaiting exploration. Karin Fossum's work intrigues me too.

I will get the Italian programme off the iPlayer too. The only Italian set crime writing I know about is written by foreigners: Michael Dibdin's Zen series and Donna Leon's work. I'm intrigued to find out more about the native crime writers.

Thanks for the tip-off on these programs. I've read a few Scandanavian crime novels and enjoyed them by and large but wasn't even aware of an Italian equivalent. I'll look out for them being repeated.