Sign in to follow this  
lunababymoonchild

Reading Achievements 2010

I'm glad I 'read' more audio books - they've been magical - i've always liked being read to - including passages from the paper and Audio books just feel so personal.

There are groups there challenging themselves to read 50, 75, even 100 books in a calendar year, an utter waste of time, I think. Surely its all about quality, not quantity?
It's easy to increase the number of books you read - just read shorter ones. Looking back at the original post that seems to be what LBMC has done.

It's easy to increase the number of books you read - just read shorter ones. Looking back at the original post that seems to be what LBMC has done.
Not because she wanted to increase the amount of books though, but because she resented paying the cost price for under 200 pages.

Actually, it was because I wanted to read them. I have always been put off short books because of the price but having read some brilliant short books this year I have realised that I've been missing out. That's that lesson learned. Naturally it led to my reading more books but that wasn't the intention. None of it was intended or pre-planned it just happened that way.

ETA I have read all of Rankin's Rebus novels and loved every one of them. Have the first Rougon-Macquart to read, all but one of the Barchester Chronicles (another 'intellectual' read), and slowly working my way through the Robin Jenkins canon.

Not because she wanted to increase the amount of books though, but because she resented paying the cost price for under 200 pages.
That can be solved by joining a library. If anything, it works better for short books as there's less chance of an overdue fine or having to return the book before it's finished because someone else has reserved it.

That can be solved by joining a library. If anything, it works better for short books as there's less chance of an overdue fine or having to return the book before it's finished because someone else has reserved it.
I tried that. Unbelievably, my local library couldn't supply me with Brighton Rock for the BGO group read, or much else I'd want to read regardless of length (and yes, I looked).

I tried that. Unbelievably, my local library couldn't supply me with Brighton Rock for the BGO group read, or much else I'd want to read regardless of length (and yes, I looked).
That's astonishing. I thought you were in Glasgow and they have eight copies of Brighton Rock according to their on-line catalogue. I also thought they had free reservations - perhaps they don't but even if you have to pay it would still be cheaper than buying new books.

That's astonishing. I thought you were in Glasgow and they have eight copies of Brighton Rock according to their on-line catalogue. I also thought they had free reservations - perhaps they don't but even if you have to pay it would still be cheaper than buying new books.
It is indeed astonishing and I am in Glasgow but not within Glasgow City Council, where they may well have 8 copies available and free reservations. My local library doesn't have any copies at all so it would indeed have to be reserved. In order to reserve it free of charge I'd need to physically go into the library, which despite being local isn't actually convenient to visit - a car journey is necessary and the parking is shocking. There is a small fee for online reservations which is indeed less than buying the book, but the library itself cannot say when they can get a hold of a copy from another library (and they do obtain copies from other councils which, of course, takes more time) and I have in the past waited six weeks for a book. Then I have to get there to pick it up and back again to drop it off. Including going in to reserve a book that's three trips to a difficult-to-get-parked-at library just to reserve and read one book. Believe me that's an experience I don't want to have every time I want to read something. And anyway, by the time I pay for the petrol for those three trips (parking, when you can get it, is thankfully free) I'd be better off buying the book (and it gets delivered to me). I'm not in the area of the library otherwise, so a special trip is in order.

That's astonishing. I thought you were in Glasgow and they have eight copies of Brighton Rock according to their on-line catalogue.

Mr HG, how very thoughtful of you to take the trouble to check the Glasgow libraries for the book luna had wanted. Is this a service you offer to all members, or is luna in receipt of your special attention for some reason?

Sadly, having eight, or however many, copies within the library service doesn't guarantee that there are any on the shelves at a given time, or that one can be available in time for a specific occasion.

I use our county-wide library's online reservation service and at times have seen that copies of a popular book are listed as 'missing' from their home libraries, or that a number of other borrowers had reserved it before me - especially if it is on an exam curriculum.

I have certainly been in the same position as luna regarding a book needed for a specific date which was clearly not going to be available in time as I was 3rd on the reservation list.

I'll second that the hit-and-miss nature of library reservations.

For example, I discovered my local public library service had a copy of one of the recommended textbooks for my course which was alledgedly on the shelf at another branch at the other end of the borough. It took them 6 weeks to admit that it wasn't and they were nice enough to offer me a free reservation for something else. Considering the book I wanted wasn't exactly something that would be in massive demand, I have to say I found this pretty disappointing.

The University Library hasn't been much better. I've reserved books that are supposedly on weekly loans which have taken 3 weeks to show up.

Given the level of technology in most libraries these days it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to provide a better service than this, but there you go.

Brighton Rock wasn't my only bad experience. Wolf Hall, when it came out, was reserved by 9 people before me and the library system only had 2 copies. I'd really, really like to use my library more often, even just to keep it open, but the current system is just too inconvenient for words. I'm never 'just passing by' that (or any other) library so it doesn't get used.

It is indeed astonishing and I am in Glasgow but not within Glasgow City Council, where they may well have 8 copies available and free reservations. My local library doesn't have any copies at all so it would indeed have to be reserved.

My apologies - I was mistaken.

I know how frustrating it is to be served by poor libraries. I had a year with Leabharlann nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles) and the libraries were dreadful. They had no new books, no literary fiction and didn't exchange books between the islands.

The point remains, though, that [urban] libraries can be great for getting access to books that you might not pay cover price for, especially if you are able to find a branch with a good car park.

The point remains, though, that [urban] libraries can be great for getting access to books that you might not pay cover price for, especially if you are able to find a branch with a good car park.

One of the compensations - joys -of living in Inner London is the great library service. For how much longer, though? We will see library services, the book parts of them, anyway, slowly crumble away by cuts and attrition :(

Actually you'd be wrong there, certainly in this area. It's the same library system just a different branch (and I should know I've been trying to use said system for the last forty years), just because parking might be easier at another branch doesn't guarantee availablity or make it any easier to use - and it simply raises travelling costs.

That could be fun... though some of the later ones (such as Postern of Fate...) are real turkeys, Nellie, so be warned...

I know about the Turkeys! Christie wasn't a genius all of the time!

The most interesting thing I have noticed about reading them in order is how some of the characters have developed, and also how social attitudes to various issues change over the time she was writing.

I'm glad I 'read' more audio books - they've been magical - i've always liked being read to - including passages from the paper and Audio books just feel so personal.

Amen - I'm piling up the audio books, great company for cooking and other kitchen-shenanigans.