Sign in to follow this  
katrina

Blonde: A Novel

This bumper novel tells a fictionalised story of Marilyn Monroe's life. Taking into account many facts from Marilyn Monroe's life Oates weaves a story of neglect, a deep yearning for love, stage fright, obsession and addiction.

The Marilyn she creates in the novel is far from the one that we see on screne, and the one rumoured about. She is a fragile bubble, seemingly ready to burst at any moment. She seems to crave love, but when she has it she quickly tires and needs to move on as she needs to feel loved by another person.

This is well worth a read and has restored my faith in Oates, I'd previosly loved and read We Were the Mulvaney's but then read Rape: A Love Story which really didn't work for me.

The Marilyn she creates in the novel is far from the one that we see on screne, and the one rumoured about. She is a fragile bubble, seemingly ready to burst at any moment. She seems to crave love, but when she has it she quickly tires and needs to move on as she needs to feel loved by another person.

I've not seen all Monroe's movies, but I had the impression from those I have seen - Some Like it Hot and The Misfits, for example - that she was pretty much as you describe her portrait in this novel.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Momo
      Joyce Carol Oates - We Were the Mulvaneys - 1996
      This was the first novel I have read by this author and I liked it so much that I was keen on reading more of her. I don't ever read them quickly one after the other, though, I think it spoils the enjoyment.Anyway, I really liked this book. The characters are well described, the story is flowing well. You can imagine being there. Some parts might be a little too American but I can still imagine something like that happening over here, especially in the seventies when this story happened.(thread first started 02.05.06)
    • By Momo
      Joyce Carol Oates - Middle Age - 2001
      A very interesting story about life in a small town and how everyone tries to hide everything from each other. Everybody knows everyone and everybody knows everyone's secrets, yet, everyone tries to pretend they don't. Sounds familiar. If not, you have probably lived in a large town all your life. You find everyone in this novel, the nice one, the evil one, the shallow one, the deep one, the deceptive one, the caring one. As I said, interesting story.(thread first started 02.05.06)
    • By Momo
      Joyce Carol Oates - The Falls - 2004
      Just finished this novel. It's the third one I read by this author and I liked it just as well as the other ones. Her characters are so alive. As she describes every single person, you have sympathy with all of them because you can see everybody's point. I really thought I knew everyone. And, yet, you can never tell what would happen next, everything comes so unexpectedly. Great book!(thread first started 02.05.06)
    • By Momo
      The Gravedigger’s Daughter - Joyce Carol Oates - 2007
      Joyce Carol Oates belongs to my favourite authors. She didn't disappoint me with her latest novel, either. The Gravedigger's Daughter is a gripping, very exciting book you just cannot put down.
    • By FirelightSpirit
      This is about a young woman growing up and going to college in early 1960s America, before the feminist movement, when women 'were not women yet, but girls'. The main character is never named, but tries on many different names and continually reinvents herself for different people, primarily for different men. She has a rather strained relationship with her father, and her need to be what other people want is obviously a result of this.

I thought the book was very well written, but I did find it a little inaccessible in that the language was very sparse. The main character's insecurities and loneliness were easy to identify with, though, as was her search for her own identity. Ultimately I thought it was a hopeful book, despite the bleak feel of much of it.