• Similar Content

• By Cathy
      Someone gave me 'Author, Author' by David Lodge for my birthday, I'm already finding myself swept along with the story of it, but feel I should also make the effort to read one of his novels to get the most out of it - any recommendations for where to start?
    • By lunababymoonchild
      Not quite sure about this.

I enjoyed it, which is why I finished it, but if I hadn't seen a recent programme based on the story I wonder if I would have been able to keep track?

The prose is dense and sentences are long with far too many commas imho, and there were one or two sentences that I just didn't get a sense of. A story that requires effort, but worth said effort.

It is a ghost story of sorts about a young governess who takes on two charges in a large house out in the country, who determines that the ghosts of her predecessor and the predecessor's lover are trying to possess the children and that the children know about it and are somehow complicit.

It did make me think and I also wondered if the governess, whilst not mad per se, was suffering from undiagnosed schizophrenia, which would explain a lot.

Well worth a read, and I'm sure that I'll go back to it at some point