How to : Five Star Ratings?

lunababymoonchild

I'm not entirely sure how useful star ratings are, I have only just found out how they are achieved, but everyone's entitled to their opinion and I like to hear a variety thereof. A five star rating on a book isn't the only criterion I use and it won't be the only one in the future.

I do tend to read books that I think that I'll like but have expanded my 'repertoire' to those recommended here and have read some stunners as a result. Some books I have read and will continue to read in the future may well be considered crap by other people (Dan Brown, anyone?) but I get pleasure out of them and that's all that matters to me. That's why I asked how the system works, I don't actually have a rating system myself but I'm sure that there isn't a 'one size fits all' type of rating system and that any rating system would be somewhat imperfect if not entirely subjective, anyway.

I don't actually have a rating system myself but I'm sure that there isn't a 'one size fits all' type of rating system and that any rating system would be somewhat imperfect if not entirely subjective, anyway.
My system is entirely subjective and personal. But I do use it as a shorthand method of summarising my views on a book.

Or know your reviewer.
For me this is actually quite an important point. I know there are reviewers whose taste just doesn't mesh with mine, so a warm recommendation from them, whether in the form of star ratings or a full length review, does not automatically lead to a book I'll enjoy. I'm sure the reverse is also true.