Live 8

donnae

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed it. Yes, there were a lot of people int he crowd that annoyed me intensely but there wasn't really anything you could do about it, and they weren't stopping you from doing anything. U2 and Paul McCartney at the beginning were amazing...R.E.M were my favourite though and I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THEM NEXT WEEK!!!!! Elton John was good, but I think he could've chosen better songs, like Rocket Man or Your Song, and the duet with Pete Doherty was a little random, but it was good to see Pete turn up on time for something for once. Pink Floyd were absolutely breath-taking, I could listen to those guitar solos all night...they were so hypnotic. And then the finale was amazing, EVERYONE singing along to Hey Jude, it was really great. And as it overran by 2 hours and finished at midnight, they kept all the trains running especially for us. How nice.

Very glad to hear it, Harriet.

I also think that everyone who went to Live 8 should calculate how much money they would have been prepared to spend on a ticket, and then pay that into the appropriate fund. If they like, they could subtract the cost of the number of texts they made when applying.

I would do that, if I had £50.

You know, there were still touts out there trying to get £200 for each ticket.

*Fumes*

(Hold that front page - it's a BGO 'spat-ette' that doesn't involve Deino! 'Thousands believed only partially interested!' etc.)

Live 8. Oh yes. Amazingly - given that I only listen to obscure music just to make me look better than anyone else ;) - I saw a fair bit of it. And enjoyed it.

The Who and Macca did the business, as did Kaiser Chiefs (pretty much) over in the US. Snoop was okay but Velvet Revolver were bluddy awful. Obviously, I didn't watch Robbie W and Mariah C - I'll sort of assume what an ordeal that would have been. I'll finally admit to sneakingly not disliking Keane's 'Bedshaped', but thought Tom Chaplin's voice was weak as whiss. And I hope Coldplay were watching Pink Floyd: that's how you do stadium rock, boys...

it's not like no one is going to have opinions about bands, where is the fun if people didn't voice them?

Steady, Doc! Folk on here'll get upset, y'know! However, while I wouldn't condone your swearathon, I totally agree with the oxymoron presented by millionaires inveigling us to put our hands in our pockets.

And with that in mind, I have to say don't quite get why Live 8 attendees should feel obliged to donate 'what they felt their ticket was worth'...

I totally missed out! After spending 3 hours travelling through darket Cumbria during the main British gig, I had to go to this hen night thing (which was really good so well worth it...) so I only saw the dodgy stuff on TV after 1am, like 'highlights' of the Canadian gig, which was mostly old geezers with guitars that neither me nor my dad recognised, so we guessed they must have been 'big in the 80s' and passed us both by completely. :(:(

Your dad was at the hen-night? More details, please! ;)

That would be strange and wrong and probably bad luck! I watched it with him after the 'do'...I was probably doing that 'trying to pretend not to be drunk in front of parents' thing. :P

Did anyone watch this on BBC? It was really bad coverage, cutting from the Make Poverty History films to backstage interviews. I think they missed the entire point of the concert.

Talking about missing the point, I can't believe people were booing and swearing at the acts who were performing at a concert to raise awareness of poverty and put pressure on the G8 leaders. That's just disgusting to me. Fair enough if you don't like a singer or a band, but they've taken the time to come out and help an important cause. Could they not show a little bit of respect, or at least basic manners?