Live 8

donnae

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other over-riding memory is of hundreds of clips of starving children and Bob Geldof thumping the table and shouting give us your f*****g money! Very shocking to my 13 year old ears :D

I saw a documentary about Live Aid last night and apparently Geldof didn't even say that! He thumped the table and said something like 'i don't give a F***, give us your money'.

On Phil Collins, he might be a nice person, i don't have anything against him personally, but i can't agree about liking his music. Not my taste.

And the thing is, there is no one around now who is half as good as those guys were.

Actually there is, just in different types of music. I agree there's no one around now who was as good as them in their genre, but in different genres there's a lot of amazing people. And not just Pete Doherty :-P

I saw a documentary about Live Aid last night and apparently Geldof didn't even say that! He thumped the table and said something like 'i don't give a F***, give us your money'.

On Phil Collins, he might be a nice person, i don't have anything against him personally, but i can't agree about liking his music. Not my taste.

I watched that documentary as well. We were there, but I still couldn't believe how many people were actually there. I obviously noticed that there were lots of people there, but when you see the view from the stage it was just incredible!

Phil Collins is a superb drummer. Saw Genesis a couple of times in the late '80's/90's. Very good musicians, even if the music isn't to everyone's taste.

We didn't get tickets for Live8 :(

Yeah I saw that as well but I don't believe them! For starters they made it sound as if he only swore once which is completely wrong, I remember multiple appeals by Sir Bob everyone of which had a swear word in it.

The DVD that my mate has says that the BBC did bother to record most of the day, they just broadcast it. To make up the DVD they had to put out an appeal for video footage. Consequently they have no idea now what was said and what wasn't!!

Or it could be that I don't want to admit that my memory is fading :D

It was a great documentary though, I was most impressed with Paul McCartney saying that the streets around Wembley were full of the sound of the concert coming from the open windows. And Led Zepplin - what prima donnas!!

I wouldn't get too excited H - Pete D's not playing...

The exciting news for Harriet is that Pete D does indeed appear to be planning an appearance at Live 8. (Now perhaps she'll explain what 'meh' means..?) Here's the tale...

http://www.nme.com/news/112738.htm

...and further rumour has it most of Ethiopia are clubbing together to try and send him aid.

I just collected my tickets today wooo :) Excited! Meh basically means 'whatever' or 'I don't care'. e.g. If someone goes "You haven't done your homework" You can go "meh" meaning can't be bothered, whatever, don't care.

Not really, just like shruggyness. I dunno....

Hmmm....Elton John + Pete? Not the best combination. But I'd prefer that than no appearance from Pete.

Is anyone actually going to Edinburgh to march? I was intending to go, but realised its the same day as a friend's hen night that I have to travel to...its one of those awful dilemmas and I came down on my mate's side, i don't think she'd ever forgive me if i missed her hen night! Gutted! Will be stuck on a train going in the opposite direction, on the worst possible line for radio reception so now i feel like i'm missing out on a really big world event :(:(

That gig was amazing! The high point for me was the beginning when U2 and Paul McCartney did Sgt Peppers! Everyone was singing their heads off! And the end when Paul did his songs!!! Then the finale, everyone was singing hey jude! Everyone around me and Harriet were standing their not rocking or anything whn the who and sting were playing. We also met some really horrible people, the first and annoying woman who everytime we started jumping up and down kept looking at us and if she was getting a little bit squashed going 'I'm being crushed'. Another woman, if I stepped on her bag 1% would shove me forward while just standing there arms folded.

Robbie Williams, Joss Stone and Mariah Carey were the low points. COME ON EVERYONE WAS SINGING TO ROBBIE BUT NOT U2, STING OR THE WHO. And then Robbie did we will rock you, it was an insult to queen. Me and Harriet sang singin in the rain as loud as possible, shouting 'F****** twat' as often as we could. These girls in front of us kept turning around and staring at us everytime we were booing David Beckham or Robbie. They were singing and dancing to Robbie, but not to Sting, Velvet Revolver OR THE WHO. Another man in front of us when mental for Snoop Dog and thought he was cool by bopping and pulling his cap down. Yet for Sting who just stood there.

Ok my rant is over.

That gig was amazing! The high point for me was the beginning when U2 and Paul McCartney did Sgt Peppers! Everyone was singing their heads off! And the end when Paul did his songs!!! Then the finale, everyone was singing hey jude! Everyone around me and Harriet were standing their not rocking or anything whn the who and sting were playing. We also met some really horrible people, the first and annoying woman who everytime we started jumping up and down kept looking at us and if she was getting a little bit squashed going 'I'm being crushed'. Another woman, if I stepped on her bag 1% would shove me forward while just standing there arms folded.

Robbie Williams, Joss Stone and Mariah Carey were the low points. COME ON EVERYONE WAS SINGING TO ROBBIE BUT NOT U2, STING OR THE WHO. And then Robbie did we will rock you, it was an insult to queen. Me and Harriet sang singin in the rain as loud as possible, shouting 'F****** twat' as often as we could. These girls in front of us kept turning around and staring at us everytime we were booing David Beckham or Robbie. They were singing and dancing to Robbie, but not to Sting, Velvet Revolver OR THE WHO. Another man in front of us when mental for Snoop Dog and thought he was cool by bopping and pulling his cap down. Yet for Sting who just stood there.

Ok my rant is over.

And what was the point of this event??

Ok my rant is over.

So let me get this straight. People who liked different music to you and didn't sing when you sang were idiots. And when they sang when you didn't sing, they were also idiots. Yet when you didn't sing or instead swore at the top of your voices during music that others liked but you didn't, you were like really cool.

"These girls in front of us kept turning around and staring at us everytime we were booing David Beckham or Robbie." Are we supposed to have sympathy for you here? Are we expected to be on your side?

Incidentally, I happen to agree that Joss Stone, Mariah Carey, Robbie Williams and Velvet Revolver were the low points, along with Annie Lennox. But didn't those around you who like them have the right to listen without you imposing your narrow tastes on them? And how messed up do you have to be to boo and swear during Robbie Williams and then have a go at a rap fan for not liking Sting???

And why shouldn't the bloke who loved Snoop Dogg not feel the same about Sting? Should everyone just like who you like, and boo everyone else or shout "F****** T***!" at them. Perhaps you could hand a list out beforehand so they can know how they should properly behave.

And I know it hasn't been banned, but would you mind not using the word 'T***' on this forum? You're the first to use it as far as I know and hopefully the last. Plenty of children use this forum. Oh yes, I forgot, you are one. Grow up for Christ's sake, and fast.

OK, rant over.

Excellent response!

FTR I thought The Who were excellent, as were Pink Floyd. So good to see Roger Waters back on stage with the others.

I enjoyed Macca's version of "Helter Skelter", pleasantly surprised by his voice - he really belted it out. Much prefer that style to his "proper" singing.

I too thought Robbie Williams was very poor, and infact somewhat embarrassing. Not because of "We Will Rock You" particularly, just because he looked like a smug git, silly voices, pulling faces etc., and acting like a fool. I suppose he hasn't performed for 2 years so maybe was acting on adrenaline and not focusing on the music, but I did think he was better than that.

He too, really should grow up. But then he isn't aiming his act at 45 year old blokes so I don't really count I suppose.

So let me get this straight. People who liked different music to you and didn't sing when you sang were idiots. And when they sang when you didn't sing, they were also idiots. Yet when you didn't sing or instead swore at the top of your voices during music that others liked but you didn't, you were like really cool.

"These girls in front of us kept turning around and staring at us everytime we were booing David Beckham or Robbie." Are we supposed to have sympathy for you here? Are we expected to be on your side?

Incidentally, I happen to agree that Joss Stone, Mariah Carey, Robbie Williams and Velvet Revolver were the low points, along with Annie Lennox. But didn't those around you who like them have the right to listen without you imposing your narrow tastes on them? And how messed up do you have to be to boo and swear during Robbie Williams and then have a go at a rap fan for not liking Sting???

And why shouldn't the bloke who loved Snoop Dogg not feel the same about Sting? Should everyone just like who you like, and boo everyone else or shout "F****** T***!" at them. Perhaps you could hand a list out beforehand so they can know how they should properly behave.

And I know it hasn't been banned, but would you mind not using the word 'T***' on this forum? You're the first to use it as far as I know and hopefully the last. Plenty of children use this forum. Oh yes, I forgot, you are one. Grow up for Christ's sake, and fast.

OK, rant over.

Well If people were booing at us dancing to Sting or U2 or whatever, that would eb annoying, yes, but at least they were showing they had responses rather than just standing there while everyone was playing, except when Robbie Williams came on and everyone felt the need to sing and dance to Angels while they had been un-moving throughout the whole gig, apart from possibly while Snoop Dogg was playing.

And as for wanting sympathy for booing Becham and Robbie, no I didn't wanted sympathy, just wanted to say how we felt about the whole thing, and how how all of those bands up there could easily fund money to help the poor (Ok so now I'm not supporting anyone, happy?). I was just saying it seemed pretty stupid sending a footballer up there who spends hundred and thousands on security of his house, buying all these lavish cars. I'm not saying I'm perfect either, but I'm not as bad as them.

And anyways It's a gig it's not like no one is going to have opinions about bands, where is the fun if people didn't voice them?

And another thing I have to add, no one forgot the point of the whole thing, we all knew why we were there, and when they showed the videos that were done about the people in Africa, everyone was crying, so it wasn't JUST about seeing the bands.