Live 8

donnae

At my age Deino, should music GENUINELY excite me pre-release?

I'm not all that much younger than you, and I still like to think I can look forward to new material from an act. But my point was more that I just don't understand all the public excitement generated by what is merely 'competent' musicianship. I personally find it hard to believe that even the band themselves (certainly Chris Martin, anyway) think they have really pushed the envelope with 'X&Y', or whatever it's called.

As for the others mentioned, it just feels like an endless MOR-malaise that has hit UK guitar music since Travis became big. Athlete, I note, have actually changed their style from the sub-Steely Dan of their debut to sound like Coldplay - whereas Embrace are even employing Chris M to write their songs for them, so bereft of ideas they've become...

There are better songsmiths out there - indeed, one or two you have mentioned...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my age Deino, should music GENUINELY excite me pre-release?

I'm not all that much younger than you, and I still like to think I can look forward to new material from an act. But my point was more that I just don't understand all the public excitement generated by what is merely 'competent' musicianship. I personally find it hard to believe that even the band themselves (certainly Chris Martin, anyway) think they have really pushed the envelope with 'X&Y', or whatever it's called.

As for the others mentioned, it just feels like an endless MOR-malaise that has hit UK guitar music since Travis became big. Athlete, I note, have actually changed their style from the sub-Steely Dan of their debut to sound like Coldplay - whereas Embrace are even employing Chris M to write their songs for them, so bereft of ideas they've become...

There are better songsmiths out there - indeed, one or two you have mentioned...

On Athlete, when I heard them for the first time ever on the radio, it was 'You got the Style'... about a year before their first album... thought I'd discovered something good...bought their singles and albums but thing is its all the same! They have one song and they've sung it for two albums...its a bloody good song though, at first!! I don't know who Steely Dan is... but they have changed - there last single was really boring, the worst Athlete song i've ever heard (can't even remember what it was called...was it Strings?!Wires!!!that's it!) but someone on high has decided to plug it so we got total overkill on the radio.

I don't know who Steely Dan is...

Surprised you've never heard of Steely Dan. They are/were a renowned New York-based rock outfit centred around the talents of Walter Becker and Donald Fagen - and were particularly big during the Seventies. Many have emulated their style since - Athlete being one of the lesser examples.

I think I agree with the general concensus that better rock music is coming from the States these days...

I don't know who Steely Dan is...

Surprised you've never heard of Steely Dan. They are/were a renowned New York-based rock outfit centred around the talents of Walter Becker and Donald Fagen - and were particularly big during the Seventies. Many have emulated their style since - Athlete being one of the lesser examples.

I think I agree with the general concensus that better rock music is coming from the States these days...

Oh dear, I don't know either of those other two either. But then I wasn't born then, so that's going to be my excuse! :D

Did you know that Steely Dan are named after a marital aid (don't want to offend anyone on here!) named the same in the book "Naked Lunch" by W.S Burroughs.

Picked that amazing piece of trivia up in the book Moondust, that I am struggling with at the moment.

Just realised that I started this thread and haven't posted anything else relevant to it yet.

Still haven't sent any text messages in yet for the competition. Better hurry up and do it. One of the national newspapers when giving instructions on how to enter the competition, actually told you which answer to text in. Whether it was deliberate or not I am not sure.

Oh, I think we can safely say Steely Dan were named after a steam-powered dildo in 'Naked Lunch'. This is a book site, after all...

Oh dear, I don't know either of those other two either. But then I wasn't born then, so that's going to be my excuse!

So, by this logic are we to assume you've never heard of The Beatles, either?

So, by this logic are we to assume you've never heard of The Beatles, either?

The who...oh well, maybe logic isn't my strong point. :P

Is there someone who is ancient enough to have been around for the first Live Aid ( ;) )? Was there this much negative publicity about the event before it happened, as there is now? And was it really that good? Music wise?

I don't recall any negative publicity and the music was excellent in places, very mediocre in thers but that wasn't really the point.

My favourites from the day were Dire Straits and U2. Both did extended versions of well-known songs that elevated it musically beyond the normal churn-out-hits routines of most of the contributors.

I also remember that Sade was embarrassingly flat. (voice not chest)

I think there are many of us old enough to remember Live Aid - it was only 20 years ago, for Gawd's sake...

Adam Ant memorably refused to play any of his hits and promptly failed to sell another record thereafter. Phil Collins played twice - as if millions hadn't suffered enough. And the idea of Dire Straits performing versions of their songs even longer than the originals would have been enough to make me switch over in the first place...

I also remember that Sade was embarrassingly flat. (voice not chest)

If I think back to that faraway time, I think I remember that Sade's microphone didn't work first of all. I think most people in the audience seemed happier when it wasn't working! ;)

Phil Collins played twice - as if millions hadn't suffered enough.

Thank goodness he's moved to Switzerland now so we can get some peace and quiet...it is quite embarrassing that he is practically our embassador to Europe - the French absolutely love him, can't get enough. His album releases are the biggest thing. Well, they are welcome to him!

I am old enough to remember the first time around, but my memories are coloured by the fact my mate got the DVD for Christmas and we spent an evening not long afterwards watching it.

I was 13 in 1985 and I remember Madonna, Duran Duran , Status Quo and Phil Collins, none of which did an outstanding set. Watching it on the DVD I was most impressed with Queen - Freddie Mercury was wonderful - and U2.

The other over-riding memory is of hundreds of clips of starving children and Bob Geldof thumping the table and shouting give us your f*****g money! Very shocking to my 13 year old ears :D