Live 8

donnae

Anyone going to try and get tickets for the London Live 8? What is annoying is that this is the only venue that requires tickets, why is it always the British that get lumbered with rules like this! I think there is a fairly good selection of artists playing at London compared to the other European venues though:

Mariah Carey

Coldplay

Dido

Keane

Sir Elton John

Annie Lennox

Madonna

Muse

Razorlight

Scissor Sisters

Sir Paul McCartney

Joss Stone

Stereophonics

Sting

Robbie Williams

U2

REM

Velvet Revolver

Bob Geldof

The Killers

The Cure

Snow Patrol

We went to the original Live Aid concert and think it would be brilliant to be able to go to this one as well.

The only way to get tickets is via a TEXT lottery, a multiple-choice question which will be announced on Monday 6th June on the Radio and BBC Television.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the weekend I heard of two separate groups of people who are not now going to the Make Poverty History March in Edinburgh on the 2nd because they are so concerned about public safety. Since these groups were going to be taking busloads of schoolchildren they're quite right to be concerned. I expect similar decisions are being replicated across the country.

This is a very great shame as it will lessen the impact the march (which has been in the planning for months) will have. It also shows that people in Scotland have a rather better idea of the numbers of people it is safe to have in Edinburgh than those calling for ridiculous numbers of people to come here.

If I don't get tickets I'm going to cry. And most possibly shame myself and pay some incredibly high amount on ebay.....but I'm hoping it won't come to that.

Or if that fails why not misappropriate them fraudulently through some kind of obscure black market arrangement........or not. I'm easy, easy like, er....Sunday morning.

Not that I am given to condoning that sort of thing.....heavens, no. :eek:

In fact I feel mildly sorry for the poor citizens of Edinburgh, what with the impending threat of a mass organised truancy....orchestrated by, lest we forget, one Sir Bob. How can a knight of the realm be so flagrantly anti-establishment? He may risk having his knighthood stripped from him after going through with this audacious stunt. :rolleyes:

Jeez, what a stinky ol' line-up that is - with the exception of The Scissor Sisters, who are quite entertaining. (Perhaps they can get The Cure and REM from 1982? That'd be good..!)

Edit: I've just seen the line-up for the Scottish Live 8 - and, guess what? It's even worse...

Edit 2: The clock on this site is about as accurate as Big Ben was last week...

Sorry to inject a serious note, but - whilst abolishing poverty is obviously a noble sentiment - does anyone else have this uncomfortable feeling that Live 8 is merely playing into the hands of the despots who run so many African countries (rather than helping the poor and starving), whilst potentially punishing those (e.g. Kenya) which have tried to play by the rules? Clearly a very complex subject, and not one on which I claim to have detailed knowledge - which puts me in the same group as 99.9% of those who will be texting in for Live 8 tickets, I suppose.

Grateful for your views...

Sorry to inject a serious note, but - whilst abolishing poverty is obviously a noble sentiment - does anyone else have this uncomfortable feeling that Live 8 is merely playing into the hands of the despots who run so many African countries (rather than helping the poor and starving), whilst potentially punishing those (e.g. Kenya) which have tried to play by the rules? Clearly a very complex subject, and not one on which I claim to have detailed knowledge - which puts me in the same group as 99.9% of those who will be texting in for Live 8 tickets, I suppose.

Grateful for your views...

I do admire Bob Geldoff's optimism, though I feel like I want to protest, I doubt anything of that much significance or effect will come out of the G8 summit because politicians are always saying one thing and doing another anyway. And I know exactly what you mean about not knowing enough about it really. But it is madness to be giving Africa aid only to take it all back in debt repayments, so it makes total sense to first of all drop the debt, so that's what I'm going to protest for. There's lots of other stuff involved too, unfair trade especially, but I don't think a free market, laissez-faire attitude is the answer either, obviously trade rules are unfair and that should change, but what then? If there's another stock market crash we have famines again? And will America be interested in helping out then? Free trade is not the answer to that.

On the Live 8 side of things, not having been around for the last one I don't know how they compare, but the line-up is not that impressive. Its quite depressing really. I'm glad they're putting on an event in Scotland, but does anyone really want to see Wet Wet Wet?!

Just a thought, is the line-up depressingly bad, or is music depresingly bad right now? Travis - boring, Texas - boring, Wet Wet Wet- boring...! Annie Lennox - whooooo?!

RO - you're dragging me off-topic, but what they hey! In recent months I've heard loads of people saying what a great state British music is in, and I have to say I just don't get it! As far as I can see (and hear) there is very little good new product. The excitement around Coldplay leaves me cold; I am enjoying Robert Plant's new music, but he's been making records for 40 years; I like what I've heard of the new Oasis, but it's not exactly new; and I like Turin Brakes but they are never going to set the world on fire. Yes, I hear a fair bit of new music on the radio (and yes, I know there's always a lot of good stuff that doesn't make it to radio (and yes, I've used the beyondradio website for several years, although it tends to concentrate on US acts)), but the volume of good new music is so dissapointing nowadays. At the risk of sounding like an old fart, in the 60s and 70s, there were literally dozens of brilliant new records released every month, and most of them never made it to radio or the charts. That said, I acknowledge that I am not the target audience for new music, so is it surprising that most of it passes me by? Probably not.

RO - you're dragging me off-topic, but what they hey! In recent months I've heard loads of people saying what a great state British music is in, and I have to say I just don't get it! As far as I can see (and hear) there is very little good new product. The excitement around Coldplay leaves me cold; I am enjoying Robert Plant's new music, but he's been making records for 40 years; I like what I've heard of the new Oasis, but it's not exactly new; and I like Turin Brakes but they are never going to set the world on fire. Yes, I hear a fair bit of new music on the radio (and yes, I know there's always a lot of good stuff that doesn't make it to radio (and yes, I've used the beyondradio website for several years, although it tends to concentrate on US acts)), but the volume of good new music is so dissapointing nowadays. At the risk of sounding like an old fart, in the 60s and 70s, there were literally dozens of brilliant new records released every month, and most of them never made it to radio or the charts. That said, I acknowledge that I am not the target audience for new music, so is it surprising that most of it passes me by? Probably not.

Well, its not totally off topic, as Live 8 is a music event... there is so much mediocre music around right now, I also don't get the Coldplay thing ('the greatest rock band in the world', as they were described on tv recently!), its all the same samey sound - there's the Coldplay/Travis/Keane/Turin Breaks(sorry!)/Athlete(I have one of their albums *hangs head in shame*) set of bands, and then the 'The...' bands, e.g. The Strokes/The Hives/The White Stripes/The Killers and so on. I shared a flat with a Coldplay fan a while ago, and she sang along to her ONE Coldplay CD nearly every night, and the walls were really thin. I think its fair to say I'm not a fan!

Having said that I think Franz Ferdinand are really good, and I like the singles from Razorlight and the Zutons are cool too. But they aren't revolutionary.

Even though i'm just 23, I feel like I'm so stuck in the britpop era! Nothing is as good as Blur were and Pulp are still my favourite band and they don't even exist any more! Tragic...

There were lots of terrible songs in the 60s too, to be fair. Do you ever listen to 'Sounds of the Sixties' on radio 2??? (I only do by accident/being too tired to turn over and switch off the radio) Its hilarious. Its all 'Here's The Birdies, and their 1964 number 24 hit single, I'd like to dance with her '

Coldplay/Travis/Keane/Athlete/Feeder et al are popular because they write and perform some great tunes.

They might not be revolutionary but having pretty much dipped out of new bands for a decade or more because it was all crap rap, crap hip hop, crap remakes, crap all boy and all girl bands and rubbish manufactured bands, not one of the members of any said genres can write a proper song or play an instrument, I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at the amount of good stuff being written and performed these days by the aforementioned bands (amongst others) right now.

So there.

Coldplay/Travis/Keane/Athlete/Feeder et al are popular because they write and perform some great tunes.

You forgot Embrace. These bands are 'popular' because they receive blanket airplay on just about every radio station in the UK. I mean, are people genuinely excited about this new Coldplay album? The whole scenario - as well as the record itself - seems utterly joyless to me: just another 'long-awaited' product bought up in droves by people who'd buy anything that bore this band's name. The tracks I've heard show absolutely no development whatsoever - what is the point? (Other than to take folks' hard-earned, I mean...) The songs could have appeared on any of their albums. The group are competent, sure - but so what? To me that has more to do with being a technician than with rock 'n' roll.

They might not be revolutionary but having pretty much dipped out of new bands for a decade or more because it was all crap rap, crap hip hop, crap remakes, crap all boy and all girl bands and rubbish manufactured bands, not one of the members of any said genres can write a proper song or play an instrument, I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at the amount of good stuff being written and performed these days by the aforementioned bands (amongst others) right now.

I agree with you about manufactured boy/girl bands, but the thing to remember is that they really aren't aimed at you. There was a huge market for this kind of production-line 'pop' (if you can call it that) post-Take That/Spice Girls - which thankfully has subsided these days. As for rap/hip-hop, your tone suggests to me that it's a genre you either don't like or don't know - to suggest none can play is a little sweeping, to say the least. (And what, pray tell, constitutes a 'proper song'?) There's a lot of sexist/bling dross out there, sure, but there's little wrong with KRS-1, Public Enemy, Ice Cube, Plastikman etc. (Even Eminem - he acts like a dickhead a lot of the time, yes, but there's more originality in his big toe than in all of Coldplay put together...)

MFJ: As for being disappointed in current music trends, well, you always will be if you don't dig any deeper than the Top 40. I don't think anyone in this country seriously sees an Oasis album these days as anything other than a brief diversion - and certainly not essential. Their time was ten years ago, but good for them if they can still squeeze a few bob out of the gullible.

Having said all that, I agree with RO that Franz Ferdinand are pretty cool...

Deino, thanks for the reply.

Music is pretty much about personal tastes isn't it?

I think the main point I was getting at is that the bands I mentioned are actually writing, performing decent songs (and getting airplay which is the easiest way to access music for all interested parties), and whilst it may not be revolutionary it is better than listening to rehashed stuff that is utterly meaningless, performed by people / bands who are neither musicians or songwriters who were totally clogging up the airwaves a decade or so back.

I don't enjoy hip hop / rap, but I have tried on many occasions. On another board I have asked and received recommendations for those genres and have tried many, but it just leaves me cold. Fortunately as a result of similar discussions I have been delighted to "discover" Dashboard Confessional, Modest Mouse, Buddy Guy, Traffic, Jeff Buckley, The Decemberists and many others. So I do try new things! ;)

At my age Deino, should music GENUINELY excite me pre-release? Finally I am aware that boy / girl manufactured bands were never being aimed at me but what new music is really being aimed at 45 year old me now?

At my age Deino, should music GENUINELY excite me pre-release? Finally I am aware that boy / girl manufactured bands were never being aimed at me but what new music is really being aimed at 45 year old me now?

I agree it is a lot about taste (wow we're really getting off-topic now!) and maybe there are some good songs by Coldplay etc. however I suppose what I'm really looking for in music is music as art, rather than music as product. Everything is so market driven, there are even multinational-approved 'alternative' acts such as Jamie Cullen (what is that about?!), Katie Melua etc. I don't think these acts are out to make bad music, its probably down to the record companies thinking 'we have to have an alternative act/rap act/female act etc' and putting the records out before they're really good enough because they think they can sell them anyway. But that isn't helping to produce genuinely new, original material, which is what would get me excited! And that is regardless of listeners ages...

PS I forgot completely about pop bands in my earlier post...there is that too.

PPS RR, you aren't my dad are you?! Because he's 45 too...!

Oh good, he's not you then. That would have freaked me out! Especially my dad even trying to listen to hip hop!

PS there's nothing wrong with 'me' in that context, me is just the emphatic version of the first person singular pronoun, and things like pronouns at the end of sentences are probably best as emphatic because it does sound odd otherwise. And avoiding something sounding 'odd' is probably one of the most common reasons for quirks in a language anyway. Now I feel like I'm talking to my dad!!!!!!! :)

Now that's interesting - maybe education has changed in the last couple of generations? (If that sounds patronising it's not, I'm asking out of curiosity.)

I was always taught to extend the sentence beyond the problem pronoun. i.e in this case

"is he as nice as me is/am/are - none of which is English.

however

"is he as nice as I am" makes perfect sense.

Maybe it's like split infinitives that no-one seems to be bothered about these days?

:confused:

Now that's interesting - maybe education has changed in the last couple of generations? (If that sounds patronising it's not, I'm asking out of curiosity.)

I was always taught to extend the sentence beyond the problem pronoun. i.e in this case

"is he as nice as me is/am/are - none of which is English.

however

"is he as nice as I am" makes perfect sense.

Maybe it's like split infinitives that no-one seems to be bothered about these days?

:confused:

This thread is good at going off at tangents!

Well, I studied foreign languages and English at uni, and with that quite a bit of English Language, and as far as I am aware there is nothing wrong with using the emphatic first person singular... grammar isn't a matter of absolutes though... see thread on 'things people say'! I didn't learn that way of making sentences, it sounds like a very old fashioned silly rule, what is 'me' for if not for using in that type of situation? I think its just your teachers being language snobs. Its just the kind of situation where people end up saying 'myself' instead of 'me' because they think 'me' sounds vulgar or something... sorry, its my pet hate! If you were speaking French would you feel saying 'moi' was wrong? Probably not, because French is perceived to be so much more sophisticated and dainty - but its the same thing!!!

On split infinitives, the only reason anyone thinks of it is wrong is taking the example of Latin, where the infinitive is all one word so it can never be split. But as English is (emphatically!) not Latin, so there is no real reason why not to split it!

By the way, feel free to disagree with me here, I'm not an expert.

Back to Live 8, did you see what Damon Albarn said?