Sign in to follow this  
smilerbabeuk

Second hand books

I read somewhere - and can't remember where - that there is at least one library who has figured out how to lend ebooks and then have them delete themselves after one month. Which is scary if you ask me.

Our library online lending site has ebooks listed, so it must be possible. I'd never given it much thought, as I haven't any interest in that technology at the moment.

What does your author friend think of 3 for 2 or buy one get another half price offers? After all when I get 3 for 2 from the bookshop I'm actually only paying for two of them, also one of the books that I bought at the weekend was £12.99 by itself and if I hadn't read the author before there is no way I would have paid that.

I just wonder what the author in the OP thinks we are supposed to do when my father wants to borrow a book from me? Am I supposed to suggest one and then watch him go out and buy it brand new instead of just taking it off the shelf? And, my personal favourite, where does this author think that the roylaties go when the author of a book in print is deceased?

It's so impractical it's bordering on funny.

Is there any other purchasing decision we're made to feel quite so guilty about? Buy secondhand and you're depriving the author of royalties. Buy online and you're killing off the high street bookshop. Buy from a chain and you're killing off the independent bookshop. What are we supposed to do????

I borrow ebooks from my library's online service. Its great. You download the ebook and then after 3 weeks the licence on the file runs out so you can't read it any more. The file isn't deleted, its still there, it just doesn't work.

Is there any other purchasing decision we're made to feel quite so guilty about? Buy secondhand and you're depriving the author of royalties. Buy online and you're killing off the high street bookshop. Buy from a chain and you're killing off the independent bookshop. What are we supposed to do????
Jen, you speak words of wisdom :)

my brother colin has given me a lend of his copy of "emma"

the first 10 pages are loose :)

he gets good use out of his books

I like to wonder where books have been before me, but I also feel sad for them as they've been abandoned by someone who didn't enjoy it as much as I hope I will. I get a bit cross (but not really) when I see an author/book that I loved in a secondhand bookshop as if it's some kind of personal slight!

I love the idea of you weeping over the poor, abandoned books to be found in charity shops across the country.

I have to cruelly discard the books I read as I haven't the room to provide a caring home for them. Only the really special ones are allowed to remain on my bookshelf. The rest are cast asunder to the nearest chazza shop, and I hope that a kindly soul will take pity on them, and give them a new home.

"No writer can ask more than this: that his book should be handed in thousands to people who might otherwise never get to read it, and who will in turn hand it to thousands more."

John le Carré

Should anyone feel the need to cull those old and yellowing paperbacks that are getting beyond passing on to the charity shop, I spotted this this idea on the Hairy Bikers 'Mother Knows Best' Christmas cookery show a few days ago.

Not sure if it is 'A Good Idea', or 'Book Abuse'

:confused:

Should anyone feel the need to cull those old and yellowing paperbacks that are getting beyond passing on to the charity shop, I spotted this this idea on the Hairy Bikers 'Mother Knows Best' Christmas cookery show a few days ago.

Not sure if it is 'A Good Idea', or 'Book Abuse'

:confused:

Total abuse in my opinion. :scared: A shiver went down my spine as I was reading the instructions. And that has nothing to do with the temperature outside at the moment either.

You are joshing, Bobbington. Feeling sorry for abandoned, yellowing books? You might as well say you feel distress at seeing the aged and crippled every time you see them struggling on the icy pavements. Well, yes, you are a little concerned, but you just cannot afford to stop and sympathise with every one of them. Still less with ageing books.

"No writer can ask more than this: that his book should be handed in thousands to people who might otherwise never get to read it, and who will in turn hand it to thousands more."

John le Carré

I'd agree with that.