Sign in to follow this  
lunababymoonchild

Christmas Themed Books

Bookchatter's thread on Norah Lofts inspired this and I'm not sure if we have done this before.

I know that Binker reads A Christmas Carol with her family during the season and Bookchatter reads Norah Lofts How Far to Bethlehem?, so I wondered if anybody else had a favourite book they brought out around the Christmas season?

Not Xmas themed as such (not much point in my case!), but I am in the habit of reading fluff over the holiday season. The last two Christmasses have been spent in the company of Bertram Wilberforce Wooster and his valet (Jeeves is not, and never was, a butler) which, rather like a quick snifter in the Drones Club, seems to hit the spot.

These two title have been chosen by one of my RL reading groups over the last couple of years and worked for us.

A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg

The Christmas Mystery by Jostein Gaarder

I enjoyed both very much and would happily read them again and again.

I don't have a particular re-read at Xmas time, but I do try and pick a big book to read over the period.

Although my kids are getting older, we still love the old picture-book favourites like Mog's Christmas et al. I've bought a gorgeous edition of A Christmas Carol to read with them this year - it's illustrated by Quentin Blake, so we're looking forward to that.

I can't think of any 'grown-up' Christmas novels though - apart from Poirot's Christmas. I may well try some of those suggested in this thread.

I also read 'A Christmas Carol' but my favourite book for this time of year is 'Can Reindeer Fly - The Science Of Christmas' by Roger Highfield

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Can-Reindeer-Fly-Science-Christmas/dp/0753813661/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289508283&sr=8-1

It's great to dip in and out of and looks at everything from the right order to eat your Christmas Dinner in in order ensure maximum uptake of gravy (Hot Tip - don't be in a hurry to eat your roasties!) to how Santa could be genetically inclined towards obesity. It's a brilliant mix of science and tradition that really gets you thinking about everything to do with the festive season. And once you've read it, you'll never look at Rudolph's red nose in the same way again. In fact you won't want to go anywhere near it....

These two title have been chosen by one of my RL reading groups over the last couple of years and worked for us.

A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg

The Christmas Mystery by Jostein Gaarder

I enjoyed both very much and would happily read them again and again.

I've read A Redbird Christmas, when I was in a reading group for a few months. It was a little too sentimental for my tastes - but the rest of the group loved it, so that's probably more of a reflection on my miserable cynicism rather than on the book! Worth a try if you are in the mood for something seasonal and positive for Christmas.

John Grisham has a slim volume (still priced at £7.99, mind you) called Skipping Christmas which sounds quite amusing. I have it on my wishlist.

I think this was filmed as 'Christmas with the Kranks'. Which is a really so-bad-it's-good kind of Xmas film.

I also read 'A Christmas Carol' but my favourite book for this time of year is 'Can Reindeer Fly - The Science Of Christmas' by Roger Highfield

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Can-Reindeer-Fly-Science-Christmas/dp/0753813661/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289508283&sr=8-1

Wicked thanks - viewed and ordered (through link) along with the Science of Harry Potter for my son this Xmas. Great stuff!