Sign in to follow this  
Cathy

Hard Love

Wow, I've just realised how many awards this book has won! and well-deserved too.

From Teenreads (because I didn't think the description on its Amazon page was quite good enough!

HARD LOVE is the story of John, a lonely and confused teen who's just a little too smart for his own good --- instead of helping him, his intelligence and sensitivity serve to focus the light a little more strongly on his alienation and loneliness. He reads 'zines and soon connects with the writer of a 'zine called Escape Velocity, a

self-proclaimed "Puerto Rican Cuban Yankee Lesbian" named Marisol. They meet, become friends, and neither of them will ever be quite the same again.

I heartily recommend this book. The characters are very believable. The author does a fantastic job of expressing teenage insecurity and that time of 'finding yourself'. The story sticks away from cliches and stereotypes and doesn't take things quite the direction you expect.