Sign in to follow this  
tagesmann

BGO Book Group for 2011

Although we haven't discussed the final book, I think the resurrected book group has worked quite well this year. This was down to the the interesting nominations and subsequent contributions to the discussions.

We decided not to have themes for the reads this year. I can't remember whether that was an informed decision or just arbitrarily by me. I quite like the idea of having themes. Not least because it means we are then nominating and voting for books that having something on common. What I don't have is any ideas for the themes. Except for one. I would like to have one read where all of the books were runners-up in earlier vote.

So, what do you think. Should we reintroduce themes and if so what themes would you like to see?

How about these themes: take your pick:-

Novels written in English by authors from India or Australia or Canada (for example)

Crime fiction taken from the Times on-line list of the best of the last decade

Travel writing

A novel written between the World Wars

Biographies

I think that themes would be a good idea. I've never done this before so it would broaden my horizons.

Could we have one non-fiction or factual read in the year? Science, history, biography, poetry or some such

I also think themes would be a good idea. Any of the above is fine with me. And I like this idea too luna.

Could we have one non-fiction or factual read in the year? Science, history, biography, poetry or some such

I should have said, in my original post, that it is possible that themes might have put some people off. By that I mean that some may not have joined in because they felt a particular theme was not of interest to them. So there are drawbacks...

Not sure whether people will like this idea or not, but what the heck...

How about childhood favourites? I don't mean Janet and John, but books which you adored reading and perhaps fed you love of books.

Sure. WE could always have just the on or two per year or every second one or some such
I think that is a good idea. As a start...

I feel another vote coming soon. :)

I think I like the idea of some more obsure recommendation ideas

Crime Fiction Titles starting with the Letter F

books adapted into films with Tom Cruise as an actor

Books with a sport related title

A Book from the 1950's

I do however think that sometimes it's nice to have no theme so perhaps once a year it could be nominate anything.

And I do like the idea of having the chance to vote on the runners up from the other votes that year - and that would be a good way to round up the year. I know that this time round I'd be voting for Lonesome Dove which I recieved as a gift this weekend and can't wait to start!

Oh boy, Bobblington, I can't wait to hear what you think, since I wrote that impassioned review!

I like the idea of themes too. I would also like to revisit childhood favourites which I will soon be doing in re-reading The Hobbit as I can't remember it at all and am looking forward to seeing Richard Armitage as Thorin now he's exited Spooks (unless there's a twist in the plot!).

Re. the possible drawback of offering a theme, could we be offered the choice of two possible themes each time? e.g. I wouldn't read a horror book but would happily broaden my crime/detective horizons.

Oh boy, Bobblington, I can't wait to hear what you think, since I wrote that impassioned review!

I'm not very good at reviews I tend to forget to say anything of any use in deciding if to read something. I'm better when talking to people though. I will certainly try to write something worth reading with regards to Lonesome Dove which currently sits by my bed awaiting my completion of Tony and Susan.

Bobblington, you can just say whether or not you liked it and I will be happy--especially if you say you liked it!

Themes is fine, but how do we vote for them and what percentage in needed to decide on a theme for all readers? It could lead to a lot of pre-selection discussion: 'I don't like 'Love' 'Why between the wars,' 'Why F' etc Might be simpler just to chose the most popular choice as at present.

How does this book group work, is it a book a week or a month? Has a decision on titles been made yet? Why not a different genre a month, Classics, History, Sci-fi, Biography, Crime etc.

Themes is fine, but how do we vote for them and what percentage is needed to decide on a theme for all readers?
I think that we have had enough suggestions to take this forward. I hope we are agreed that at least one read will be theme-less and one will be for losers from earlier votes. If we are going to have four reads next year we need to decide the themes for two of them. We have 13 suggestions and I propose that we treat these as nominations. Can you therefore second any nominations that you like and once we have a smaller list I will offer them up for a vote. I suggest 10 days for seconding and then we should get the voting over by the end of the year.

I hope that is OK with everyone. :)

I’ll second books that were runners up in previous votes. Also biographies, and

Novels written in English by authors from India or Australia or Canada (for example)
but would like to expand that last to include all Commonwealth countries - list here

I thought I posted the 13 nominations. But didn't :o

Novels written in English by Commonwealth authors.

Crime fiction taken from the Times on-line list of the best of the last decade.

Travel writing.

A novel written between the World Wars.

Biographies.

Books which were nominated for awards but didn't go on to win.

Non-fiction or factual.

Childhood favourites.

Crime Fiction Titles starting with the Letter F.

Books adapted into films with Tom Cruise as an actor.

Books with a sport related title.

A Book from the 1950's.

A Choice of two themes.