Road rage!

My Friend Jack

Now this is the topic to get all us grumpy old men (and women) gnashing our teeth! I will start with the driving habit that drives absolutely bloody bonkers! Even thinking about it gets me cross. It seems to have become prevalent in the south east (where I do most of my driving) in the last year or so, and I have had a number of near misses in circumstances where I would have been completely innocent, yet the "other party" always behaves as if it's my fault. It's this:

You approach a roundabout, where there are three exits to choose from (left, ahead or right). You have two (or three) lanes to choose from. You want to turn right, so you get into the right hand lane. What you don't realise ('cos he doesn't use signals!) is that one of the cars in the left hand lane also intends to turn right - so he goes all the way around the roundabout in the left hand lane, cutting completely across any poor sod who wants to go straight on, and causing you (depending on your frame of mind / state of health etc) near heart failure or apoplexy. I reckon I see this on average about once a week (nearly always on the same roundabout). Few things in life reduce me to genuine anger (poor refereeing decisions being the only other one I can think of right now), but when this happens I fully understand how perfectly normal human beings succumb to road rage.

OK, folks - your turn!

It's an oldie but goodie: Lack of indicating. I'm perfectly happy in the RH lane of a dual carriageway when some bozo just pulls out in front of me. I call them The Drifters as there's just a lazy veer off into my lane. "No need to signal", I mutter to myself, "I'm ****ing psychic" .

I have many more, but just one more: "The Mad Mothers". I commute to work during the school run and today one woman just stopped in the road (with no space for me to get by) and dropped the kids off. I STOOD on the horn and waved that she should move on, and of course she looks at me as if I'm the one in the wrong.

Blood pressure rising :mad:

I'm afraid to say I think I may be one of those who causes road rage in the older-business-man-types! I do a lot of driving through a few commutor villages in the early evening... just as the commutors are getting back from work. There's a rather irritating stretch of road about 4 miles long down some rather windy lanes where you can't see what's coming. If you know the roads well this could be driven at 40-50mph but the area was recently lowered to a 30mph area. It amuses me no end to drive along here at about 25mph - no-one can overtake safely (or without being caught by the frequent mobile speed cameras) so they're stuck behind you for ages! :D

MFJ - i know exactly what you mean about roundabouts! There's one I drive over/past every so often where no-one stays in the correct lane. EVER!!! And they then give me dirty looks for "cutting them up" when they didn't indicate correctly!

As for what drives me mad - tractors on main roads that don't pull over when they have huge queues behind them. This happens annoyingly often when I'm in a rush! And people who own 4-wheel drives that have never driven them off road. If you need one for your job/hobby then that's fine. But the people who have them because they live in the country and think it adds to their image just drive me mad! There's no need to be driving a huge uneconomical tank-like car to do the ten minute school run. For that matter the people who drive their children to school when they're perfectly capable of walking there drive me mad too! No wonder kids these days are lazy!!! :mad:

....And looking back over that post I think I might be getting old before my time - its the kind of thing my parents would moan about!!! :o

And people who own 4-wheel drives that have never driven them off road. If you need one for your job/hobby then that's fine. But the people who have them because they live in the country and think it adds to their image just drive me mad! There's no need to be driving a huge uneconomical tank-like car to do the ten minute school run.

Live in the country?? You should be round my part of West London at ten to nine on a weekday. I live near two primary schools, and you can't get through our streets at that time of day for the parents in their SUVs dropping off their kids.

As for other irritations, I can't say them all as I would be here all night, so here's a quick selection.

- Middle lane drivers on motorways staring straight ahead never looking in their mirrors, with no awareness whatsoever of what is going on around them, or that they are going 10mph slower than the inside lane.

- Drivers who, without indicating, suddenly slow down ahead of you and then veer into the kerb. Somehow I'm supposed to be telepathic and know that they were about to park up.

- Mobile phone users drive me bloody crazy. I thought there were supposed to be on the spot fines for this. These people get away scot free, while I'm on nine points because a) I went 47mph on the M4 at a point where the speed limit is 40 for no other reason than to trap motorists and collect the fines, B) because I stupidly went and did this AGAIN and c) because I went 38 mph Holloway and Cameden in a section of the road that has four lanes and when a pedestrian last crossed, we had a Conservative government and John Prescott was thin.

Fiona - regarding tractors. Here in Norfolk, we are a mainly farming community, with narrow main roads and even narrower 'quiet lanes' (which for some reason are de-restricted !). Quite often you will see a farm vehicle going along, with a large number visible in the cab - say 27. I have discovered that this is not the vehicle's number in the fleet - it is the greatest number of vehicles collected behind it waiting to pass at any one time !

And so far every argument I have seen between an 4-wd vehicle and a tractor has resulted in victory for the tractor !

I've only got a provisional license so far so not really experienced any of the above except as a pedestrian or passenger (Pedestrian Power! :D ) but... during a driving lesson in Leeds someone was hanging washing on a line that went right across the street!!! My instructor, totally deadpan, said 'now slow down, into 1st gear, clutch in, handbrake on, and lets wait for the lady to finish hanging her washing up'!!!

I don't know if people suffer from Road Rage in the Western Isles, but my boyf was out there working and they got to a point where there was no road any more, and two guys were laying down new road... as there was no way to go round they just sat and waited for the road to set...

Not really road rage either, but some guy went driving past in his swish black sports car, and someone had written "f***ing w***er" on the side in the dirt (that's so gonna get censored :P ) and a big arrow pointing to the driver window.

I am easily amused...

Imagine the scene...it's rush hour and being a good little girl (or boy) you indicate and move lanes in plenty of time to avoid the bus lane (or parked cars/roadworks/insert annoying obstruction here) only to find some **** freewheeling up the inside of about ten cars and pushing in (or, alternatively, making rude gestures when no-one lets them in). Yes, I've thought about it and I think that's my pet driving hate. Apart from large birds with upset stomachs and oversized flies.

I do a lot of driving on the A7 which is not a road with many places on it where it's safe to pass. Therefore getting stuck behind something can really affect the blood pressure, especially if they insist on driving at 35 or 40 everywhere. And that's including through villages. There are plenty of places to pull over, but do they? Hell no, I've seen up to a mile of traffic behind these cars sometimes.

Drive at 40 if you want, but let others pass, for goodness sake!

I hate HATE people that don't indicate! Both when driving and when walking. I've nearly been run over so many times because I've crossed a side road and a car's swerved in suddenly from the main road without indicating....it's there for a REASON!

My dad's a driving instructor and he once told a pupil (my friend's big sis!) to take the 2nd exit at the next roundabout....she accidentally drove past the 2nd exit which wasn't really a problem...until she shouted out 'oops, sorry', stopped the car and started reversing it back round the roundabout to the correct exit! Needless to say my dad was glad of the dual controls that day....! Now THAT'S bad driving....!

I hate those neds who don't know they're neds (neds=chavs) who go round in their shiny cars playing dance music or trance or house or whatever crap is fashionable this week. ANd the ones who rev their engines at traffic lights.

I hate HATE people that don't indicate! Both when driving and when walking.

You may not mean this how I am reading it!

It's really annoying when people stop dead in front of you to look in a shop window. Or stroll along arm in arm on a busy pavement, as though they were on the prom. at Brighton!

Speaking of misreading things...

Apart from large birds with upset stomachs and oversized flies.

Yeah, I wish birds would wear normal sized trousers too!

OK, here's a possibly controversial to say - French drivers are awful! I had the most terrifying experiences as a passenger and pedestrian in France. One woman was pointing something out to us, while going round a roundabout, so she virtually came to a stop. When someone started beeping their horn (of course, also very French) she couldn't understand why they were...of course its totally normal to stop on a roundabout... Someone else used to pay no heed at all to Give Way signs, which meant every journey was terrifying from start to finish! Then when parking once he went over two bendy bollards and said 'its ok, that's why they're bendy'... oh, but he was Slovenian. Maybe its a European thing.

Can I ask, as a pedestrian, why people can't just slow down (or stop) and wait when there's something in their way ? Is there something in a car that causes them mental, emotional or physical pain when they do so ?

Mind you, I feel that 98% of all 'road rage' incidents, and much other bad driving, can be put down to one simple cause - bad manners.

Speaking of misreading things...

Yeah, I wish birds would wear normal sized trousers too!

OK, here's a possibly controversial to say - French drivers are awful! I had the most terrifying experiences as a passenger and pedestrian in France. One woman was pointing something out to us, while going round a roundabout, so she virtually came to a stop. When someone started beeping their horn (of course, also very French) she couldn't understand why they were...of course its totally normal to stop on a roundabout... Someone else used to pay no heed at all to Give Way signs, which meant every journey was terrifying from start to finish! Then when parking once he went over two bendy bollards and said 'its ok, that's why they're bendy'... oh, but he was Slovenian. Maybe its a European thing.

Oh my god how right you are, any of the French drivers I have come accross are dreadful and terrifying the words 'pedestrian crossing' mean nothing to them at all!!!!!

Have to say aswell that while in more than one cab in Manchester I was also a little green upon leaving!!! If it had of been just one I would have thought nothing of it, but every cab!!! Is it a Manchester thing or was I just very unlucky?

You may not mean this how I am reading it!

It's really annoying when people stop dead in front of you to look in a shop window. Or stroll along arm in arm on a busy pavement, as though they were on the prom. at Brighton!

Oh oh oh I HATE THAT too Megustaleer! I always seem to get stuck behind the slow people that walk 4 abreast and take up the whole pavement, and the ones who walk in front of you then stop dead, or the WORST OF ALL the people that push out in front of you as if they were in a real rush, THEN stop dead. OR the people who walk in one direction while looking in another and walk straight into you.....RAAAAA!! Pedestrian rage anyone?!

Back to the driving, French drivers are nothing compared to the Italians! I went to the Amalfi Coast a few years ago and the roads are these wee tiny mountain roads where the sea is on one side, the cliff on the other and there's barely room for 2 cars to pass....yet still all the people drive at breakneck speed and are oblivious to anyone else on the road!

A funny story, we were driving along one day and one of the rude Italians with a whole load of pasta piled on the back of his truck was tailgating us, we obviously weren't fast enough, he then proceeded to overtake us coming up to the turning he wanted to take, and ended uphaving to take it so sharply the boxes of pasta spilled all over the road! HAHA, serves him right!

This thread's bringing out a rather vindictive streak in me, i think I'll leave now!!

• 1 month later...

Continuing the walking theme...

People with bags that have extendable handles. They stop at the start of a flight of stairs to retract the handle. They stop and the end of the stairs to extend it again. They get upset when people knock into them.

And people who stand still on moving walkways, 4 abreast.

What could be my road rage?

Ø The policewoman on an emergency call, driving at breakneck speed without a siren or flashing lights, didn’t notice my daughter, already turning right from the same road, so drove straight into her.

Ø The policeman who took my shocked daughter’s statement minutes after, alone with her in a police car, (while the policewoman leaned on her car smoking) but didn’t take the policewoman’s statement until months after.

Ø The smiling inspector, called to the scene, who told my 17 year old daughter she would hear nothing more about this, so go home and have a stiff drink.

Ø The witness statements agreeing with my daughter, (taken from youths at the a bus stop) that suddenly disappeared.

Ø The lawyer who insisted that courts always believe the Police so my daughter would have to plead guilty or get a tougher outcome

Ø The policewoman and her legal representative who blatantly lied in court to say that my daughter had come out of a side road and cut straight in front of her.

Ø The policewoman, who showed no signs of physical discomfort at the scene, but took 4 months off work with a collar round her neck and then used the information in court, while my daughter had studiously tried to ignore all her bruising and get on at college so that she could forget the trauma.

Ø The £300 pound fine plus costs and 5 points given to my daughter – the insult added to the injury.

And in a way it was my road rage. I was nearly in contempt of court. (I’m usually described as patient and understanding)

Thank God my daughter is alive.

Thanks everyone – yes my daughter is fine now – healthy and well-balanced. It took a year or so for her self-esteem and confidence to grow again, but she would stoically argue that it wasn’t affected.

It has taken longer for my cynicism and bitterness to dissipate and I think my husband has found this even harder. I can’t imagine how one copes if a child dies or has lasting problems from such an event.

What is rather reassuring is that it was our three daughters, who have been brought up by us to forgive, who told us that we had to ‘let it go’ so that everyone could heal.