Sign in to follow this  
Book-Chatter

The Devil Rides Out

This is the second autobiography of Paul O'Grady, talented entertainer and certified nutcase! :D

FYI: His first book was "At my Mother's knee (and other low joints)"

In some places "Devil" is a bit "earthy". Such as when Paul trawled around the nightclubs of foreign parts, as a young man (the things those chaps on stage did with a Coke bottle would bring tears to the eyes!) but all is recalled with Paul's humour firmly to the fore, so, for most people it wouldn't be too shocking. Best to be aware of this though, if you're considering buying it as a Christmas pressie for Grannie. ;)

Both these books are hugely entertaining "reads" - funny, heartwrenching in places, and an interesting window into the days (not so long ago) when a young man could fall into a range of jobs from barman in a transvestite's club, to a houseparent for disabled kids, with relative ease. Along the way we meet a range of Paul's old friends - with their range of lifestyles.

This guy has led a full life!

Oops, sorry about that!

The "devil" of the title is Paul himself, who as a teenager on his way out for the night, overheard his mother on the phone saying "the Devil rides out tonight!" to his auntie. :)

A little bit unfair, maybe - but Paul certainly "tomcatted" (another of her favourite descriptions) around a bit!

overheard his mother on the phone saying "the Devil rides out tonight!" to his auntie. :) !

She undoubtedly got the phrase from the title of Wheatley's most famous book, or more probably from the Hammer Horror film version, which was released in 1968 - just a few years before the time Paul would have been out 'tomcatting'

She wouldn't have been an elderly lady at the time - not unless Paul was a very late addition to the family.

I've never read Wheatley, just the reputation of his books was enough to terrify me back in the 1950s & 60s

Good point, Megustaleer. Still, when the reading habits of a person's Mother is the issue - I'd find it reassuring to know that she didn't slip between the sheets at night with a "nice horror" for entertainment! :D

Actually, it added to the enjoyment of the book for me - for both Paul and his Mum, bless her, could be rough tongued and hardy when life called on them to be - but with hearts of gold, too. I'd have loved to know Mrs O'Grady - she sounded a real character!

Roll-on the next book. :)

His first book was excellent, now got this for Christmas. I really enjoy listening to him on the radio rather than on the box,comes over a genuine person

This is the second autobiography of Paul O'Grady, talented entertainer and certified nutcase! :D

FYI: His first book was "At my Mother's knee (and other low joints)"

In some places "Devil" is a bit "earthy". Such as when Paul trawled around the nightclubs of foreign parts, as a young man (the things those chaps on stage did with a Coke bottle would bring tears to the eyes!) but all is recalled with Paul's humour firmly to the fore, so, for most people it wouldn't be too shocking. Best to be aware of this though, if you're considering buying it as a Christmas pressie for Grannie. ;)

Both these books are hugely entertaining "reads" - funny, heartwrenching in places, and an interesting window into the days (not so long ago) when a young man could fall into a range of jobs from barman in a transvestite's club, to a houseparent for disabled kids, with relative ease. Along the way we meet a range of Paul's old friends - with their range of lifestyles.

This guy has led a full life!

Happy New Year, David. :)

I hope you enjoy "Devil" - it's perfect to start another year of reading with!

I think his attitude to everyone is the key to Pauls' success - even "stars" know he's a genuine person, and will de-freeze quite noticeably with him. He's an all-round entertainer, too - books, T.V. and radio - all very enjoyable.

Get between those covers - and start 2011 with a giggle, David. :D