tagesmann

Vote for the BGO Book Group Read

Vote the book that you would like to read  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Vote the book that you would like to read

• Point Blank - Richard Stark
    • The Owl Killers - Karen Maitland
    • Tony & Susan - Austin Wright

Hello everyone (and I do mean everyone).

The nominations are:

Point Blank by Richard Stark.

The hunted becomes the hunter. Meet Parker, the ultimate professional. Parker is a master thief, and a man with a heart of steel. He believes in the oldest law of all - a life for a life. His one-time partner, Mal, tried to pull a fast one, making off with Parker's share of the takings after a successful heist, as well as his Parker's wife, Lynn. Big mistake. They thought they had left him for dead, but Parker survived their bullets and now he's out for revenge and prepared to do whatever it takes. The prey has become the hunter, and now Parker is stalking them, leaving a trail of carnage in his wake. Haunting and brutal, "Point Blank" was made into the cult classic movie starring Lee Marvin, and remains one of the most distinctive crime thrillers ever written.

The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland.

England, 1321 Welcome to the Dark Ages In the heart of the countryside lies an isolated village, where pagan Owl Masters rule through fear, superstition and murder. When a group of religious women ill-advisedly settles outside the village, they awaken dangerous jealousies. Why do their crops succeed? How do their cattle survive the plague? Are they concealing a holy relic which protects them from harm? The Owl Masters cry ‘Witchcraft’ and sharpen their talons. As torment and hellfire rain down, the women must look to their faith to save them from the darkness spreading across the land. Fear is a question of what you believe. And death alone the answer.

Tony & Susan by Austin Wright.

Fifteen years ago, Susan Morrow left her first husband Edward Sheffield. One day, comfortable in her home, and her second marriage, she receives, entirely out of the blue, a parcel containing the manuscript of her ex-husband's first novel. He writes asking her to read the book; she was always his best critic, he says. As Susan reads, she is drawn into the fictional life of his character Tony Hastings, a maths professor driving his family to their summer house in Maine. And as we read with her, so are we. As the Hastings' ordinary, civilized lives are disastrously, violently sent off course, Susan is plunged back into the past, forced to confront the darkness that inhabits her, and driven to name the fear that gnaws at her future and will change her life. "Tony and Susan" is a dazzling achievement: simultaneously a riveting portrayal of the experience of reading and a page-turning thriller, written in startlingly arresting prose. It is also a novel about fear and regret, revenge and aging, marriage and creativity. It is simply unique.

Tony and Susan steels it for me, it sounds like a really interesting read and a nice concept for a story plus it's a little bit older and I like to see if slightly older books have aged well or not.

Picked up Tony and Susan this morning - my fingers are crossed now.

I had to order a second-hand copy of it from the USA

I decided to go for a new hardback copy directly from Amazon - a treat for myself - as I thought the delivery from the USA might be protracted. Good luck chuntzy.

Thanks to everyone who voted.

Those of us who plan to read Tony & Susan might have to wait a while for second hand copies to arrive from the States so no rush to read this peeps. :)

Rather than have an empty forum hanging around - which did cause some confusion last time - perhaps the first person ready to post about the book could PM me, then I'll set it up.

I'm intrigued by the sound of this one...Is there a date we're to have read it by? Like the end of the year or something? Lol

Not sure if I could get it delivered in time with the crimbo rush coming up...??