Things people say!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No - DonnaE quoted you on the change a letter thread and then said that she was female. I read it as you were female which I had been fairly sure you weren't. And aren't.

Lovely can be used to describe a man but usually in a dumping of boyfriends context, e.g. 'you're lovely but I don't love/fancy/want to cover you in chocolate and treat you like a rolo.' But yes, it can be used. Seems a waste of chocolate though.

OK, another typist's moan, how can I possibly face posting out a letter signed 'yours fraternally'? That is so 'old boys' club!!!! I'm cringing and typing at the same time...

RO, I'm sorry to inform you have failed to close your speech mark in employing the phrase 'old boys' club', and thus will be drummed out of The Pedants' League with immediate effect during a specially convened extraordinary general meeting (and, I promise you, with all the commas in the right place even inside a bracket, it will be extraordinary).

I hate it when people confuse 'brought' for 'bought' as in "I brought the most amazing dress yesterday". This is bad enough when used in conversation but how can I forgive my friend for this recent email "Come see the new flat I've brought!" which was made all the more shameful by her recently awarded first class degree :eek:

LoL, Tess! I'm with you on that - it's one of my wife's habits. Some years ago, I was told it was common amongst people who were educated in Crawley, but my wife wasn't, so it's not. My (occasional) response when she asks if I want to see something she's brought is, "Where did you bring it from?"

RO, I'm sorry to inform you have failed to close your speech mark in employing the phrase 'old boys' club', and thus will be drummed out of The Pedants' League with immediate effect during a specially convened extraordinary general meeting (and, I promise you, with all the commas in the right place even inside a bracket, it will be extraordinary).

With reference to the above aforementioned allegation :eek: I am mortified! I will of course be seeking appropriate representation and you should expect a Summons to a Unlawful Expulsion from the Pedants League Tribunal in due course (well... as a admin/typist person, I would be exploding with suppressed outrage if I took offense at every weirdly worded sentence or misplaced apostrophe).

I am preparing myself for the floods of phonecalls from offended female colleagues. Considering is it worth my job risking causing a stir by inserting a female equivilent into some letters... but what would that be? Yours Sororitarily?

LoL, Tess! I'm with you on that - it's one of my wife's habits. Some years ago, I was told it was common amongst people who were educated in Crawley, but my wife wasn't, so it's not. My (occasional) response when she asks if I want to see something she's brought is, "Where did you bring it from?"

Very occasional I should imagine; you probably have no desire to waste too much time searching in the fishtank for your testicles.

With reference to the above aforementioned allegation :eek: I am mortified! I will of course be seeking appropriate representation and you should expect a Summons to a Unlawful Expulsion from the Pedants League Tribunal in due course (well... as a admin/typist person, I would be exploding with suppressed outrage if I took offense at every weirdly worded sentence or misplaced apostrophe).

Are you going to tell her or shall I? :cool:;)