Sign in to follow this  
Hazel

40th Birthday

Hubby's 40th is coming up and I am really, really stuck on what to get him. I have a budget of about £300. He likes Apple stuff but has it all. And that's it. Good trips away for a couple of days to places I think he'd like cost more than my budget. And I'd like him to have something tangible. He likes nice pens but I think if I spent the budget on a Mont Blanc pen and that's it - then he'd be a bit 'meh' about it.

So, any ideas?

Helicopter/plane/tank lessons? champagne balloon flight. His favourite (romantic) film scene reenacted. A mixed box of goodies, nostalgic sweets lots of places do hampers of very retro stuff, something to keep etc.

Any ideas for a 21st?

"Experiences" are good presents for people who have the means to get themselves much of what they want. For my 40th, I was taken to Barcelona and the Spanish GP and also got a "Keeper for A Day" gift which allowed me to feed the penguins and seals at the Living Coasts in Torquay. I smiled so much my face hurt afterwards!

Another idea that goes down well in my house are top quality leather goods - weekend bag, messenger bag, wallet etc.

Elfstar, is the 21st for a male or female. Jewellery is always good for female, something classic. Men are impossible to buy for, as we all know...

Helicopter/plane/tank lessons? champagne balloon flight. His favourite (romantic) film scene reenacted. A mixed box of goodies, nostalgic sweets lots of places do hampers of very retro stuff, something to keep etc.

Well as a bloke I'd definitely like some of these especially the lessons stuff.

As for the 'box of goodies' as much as I like them on the radio I don't think I'd like Graeme Garden et al at home with me! :D Seriously tho in the box you could add some DVD box sets of some of his fav progs - provides hours of entertainment.

Or does he play a sport? New golf clubs/cricket bat or tickets to major event in sporting calendar.

Or you could book into an expensive hotel and 'pamper' him!! :D

Our sons treated Mr meg to a surprise day at Silverstone for his birthday this year, watching some motorcycling event. He was absolutely chuffed to little mint balls, much more so than for any gift they could possibly have given him wrapped in fancy paper.

Many years ago I organised a surprise birthday party for his 40th. That came so near to being a disaster that I wouldn't recommend it unless you have nerves of steel and very reliable, persuasive collaborators.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. No surprise party, meg, he'd hate that. And so would I!

I like the helicopter idea, and the night in a fancy schmancy hotel.

He doesn't like sport much, supports the Green Bay Packers though. But last year I spent a small fortune getting him a GBP jersey with his name and number sewn on from America, so can't do that again. The customs charge, getting it sent over here cost a blooming fortune too. I'd love to get him more stuff from Lambeau Field though.

He does run a lot, and I wonder if taking him to Run4It and getting him tailor-fitted running shoes would be an idea...

Still...fancy schmancy hotel means I get a treat too... :D

Running Shoes is good as often people don't replace them when they should due to cost (this is a current arguement with my partner as his are falling to bits - his old pair are in better condition).

And there a loads of deals out there for hotels etc. so perhaps you could do both on your budget?

He doesn't like sport much, supports the Green Bay Packers though. But last year I spent a small fortune getting him a GBP jersey with his name and number sewn on from America, so can't do that again. The customs charge, getting it sent over here cost a blooming fortune too. I'd love to get him more stuff from Lambeau Field though.
My brother (lives in Chicago) once memorably brought my husband a genuine cheesehead hat when he came to visit. Came in quite useful while we lived in one house where there was a low beam that he often used to smack his head on! I didn't let him wear it to the NFL game at Wembley last year though...

He just bought himself an i-Pad, LL, selfish git. That would have been my go-to pressie. I am thinking that a night away and running shoes might be the way to go.

How about a treasure hunt? Clues to 40 presents hidden in places that would hold good memories for him? Most of them can be little ones but you could finish with one largish one or leading to a party?

Or maybe an empty photo album with clues in, each leading him to part of a photo of him main present which he has to put together to work out what it is?

As long as he doesn't run away from the night away... :P
:D

Lucy - your ideas are great but I am far too lazy to actually go to the effort! :D

I am reading this thread with interest, having to buy for my brother-in-law's 50th soon.

I reckon, though, that I will be very lazy and go for nice food, nice wine, or a meal voucher with associated babysitting offer. Unless I nick one of the less personal suggestions for Mr Hazel!

I am going to my great aunt's 90th birthday party this weekend, in Houston. She's a big reader and we share tastes in books, so I am giving her 9 books, one for each decade of her life. I did that for my brother-in-law several years ago, but he was 50, so he only got 5 books.

But I'm not sure that's perfect for a spouse. My husband turned 50 this year and we are on a serious budget, so I bought him the 5 greatest John Wayne westerns (he loves John Wayne westerns, which people who know him find very surprising). I did a lot of work researching which westerns are considered the best and then which of the DVDs are the "best." He was very pleased. And part of the gift was that I will watch the movies with him, even though I'm not quite as big a fan of westerns.

When we aren't on a serious budget, we like to do a trip together, just the two of us, for big birthdays and anniversaries. We aren't usually gone long because someone (my mother; his sister) has to stay with the kids, but we always have a great time being grown-ups again.

Good luck.

I think Mr Hazel would boil his brain at being called Mr Hazel! :D :D

:D

Reminds me of a recent wedding at work - two colleagues got married. (Altogether now - aaaw!)

Ms Colleague was due to go on a school trip just after the wedding, and the headteacher was making arrangements before the wedding. He said the change of name on her passport might cause problems. "Oh, it's ok, Headteacher", said Ms Colleague. "Mr Colleague is changing his name".

Knowing her, I would have believed it if it had happened!

I have now booked a lovely B&B in the Lake District for us the weekend before hubster's birthday which I hope will love. I even managed to phone his boss and get the time off arranged without him finding out. Poor thing said to me the other night "You still haven't asked me to get my birthday off work". Little does he know. I can't wait till he gets up that morning for work that morning only to find out he's of to the Lakes!

I have now booked a lovely B&B in the Lake District for us the weekend before hubster's birthday which I hope will love. I even managed to phone his boss and get the time off arranged without him finding out. Poor thing said to me the other night "You still haven't asked me to get my birthday off work". Little does he know. I can't wait till he gets up that morning for work that morning only to find out he's of to the Lakes!

I'll try and arrange some decent weather for you Hazel! :D

I'm sure you'll have other things planned but there is a huge secondhand book shop in Carlisle opposite the Cathedral.

I'll try and arrange some decent weather for you Hazel! :D
That would be very kind of you and much appreciated!

I'm sure you'll have other things planned but there is a huge secondhand book shop in Carlisle opposite the Cathedral.
Oooh thanks for that! I was also thinking about the pencil museum, as the kids would love that.

Oooh thanks for that! I was also thinking about the pencil museum, as the kids would love that.

Yes I think children probably appreciate the Pencil Museum more than adults.

I presume you'll be travelling down (and going back home) via the motorway. If so just outside Penrith (which is the other side of the Motorway from the road for Keswick) there is a ruined castle called Brougham (pronounced Broom). Only needs 30 to 60 minutes to look round. You could visit it on your way home - let's the kids run around outside for a while before being cooped up in the car on the way home.

http://www.visitcumbria.com/pen/brougham-castle.htm

Or further south in Cumbria is the South Lakes Zoo which is highly recomended. A small zoo but with lots to see. They feed the tigers by placing their meat up on the top of huge poles (think the old washing line poles they used to have in the tenements up in Scotland, though perhaps not as tall) and the tigers climb up the poles - which is very impressive.

http://www.wildanimalpark.co.uk/

If a gentle walk is called for the Aira Force waterfall by Ullswater is a good one. Easy enough for children and dog friendly. Also if you go there when you leave turn right out of the car park and follow the road along by the lake then take the a right hand turn signposted to Troutbeck. As you climb up this steep road find a suitable place to park then look back onto the lake. Stunning.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-ullswaterandairaforce-2

I'll stop now! And no I'm not on commission.

Yes I think children probably appreciate the Pencil Museum more than adults.
I was quite looking forward to that too!

there is a ruined castle called Brougham (pronounced Broom).

I think I have visited that before, it's just outside the Center Parcs at the Lakes? It's pretty cool, the boys love castles.

Or further south in Cumbria is the South Lakes Zoo which is highly recomended. A small zoo but with lots to see. They feed the tigers by placing their meat up on the top of huge poles (think the old washing line poles they used to have in the tenements up in Scotland, though perhaps not as tall) and the tigers climb up the poles - which is very impressive.

That sounds very good indeed, we like animals.

Thanks for the suggestions Tay. I think I'll go with the pencil museum, and the Zoo for now as we are only down for 2 days. And it is hubby's birthday, he might want to do something else! The lady at the B&B is going to have a bonfire as we'll be down on Bonfire Night, which just sounds great.