Sign in to follow this  
bobblington

derogatory comments about reading/books

I was reading 'The battle for Christabel' by Margaret Forster and there is a bit in it where they discover that Christabel has regressed in her reading ability since living with her foster family and it turns out the reason is her foster mother is telling her that she'll hurt her eyes and end up needing glasses if she carries on reading, so she stops wanting to read. It made me think of things people have said to me in the past about reading.

Most notably the bloke on the train that said in a very loud voice to his friends that is was pathetic how people pretended to read on trains so not to have to speak to people. Since I was the only person reading and he stared straight at me I felt compelled to respond and I told him that since I had a very lengthy commute and that was pretty much my only chance of reading, something that I loved, I didn't see why I shouldn't enjoy myself in such a manner on the train. Only I wasn't so polite because it was late and I felt insulted.

My Mum said that I would strain my eyes and need glasses if I read to much... I am sure that the fact that I wear glasses is just a coincidence.

How horrible of that man to be rude to you on the train.

I've worn glasses from when I was very little, so that was never an argument against me reading. I don't think I've ever heard any derogatory comments from people about reading, certainly not from anyone whose opinion I would care about anyway.

Goodness, that guy was just rude.

I have never heard any negative comments about my reading. Hubby sometimes says I should read more non-fiction so that I am actually learning something, but he's just being silly.

How does he cope when you're reading those comic picture books? :D

Back in the 40s my Mum's Mum used to tell her to get her "nose out of that book and get on with the cooking / cleaning / chores...."

How does he cope when you're reading those comic picture books? :D

He just shakes his head, RR. He shakes his head.

The only negative comments about my reading were from my mother who kept telling me that I should read more of the Classics. She was right of course, but I never did - so I have that to look forward to!

I've been reading (proper reading that is, ie words not just looking at the page) since I was four and only need glasses for driving and the TV so I don't think that reading and the need for glasses are related.

How incredibly rude of that man. Glad it wasn't me, I have a feeling I'd have been extraordinarily rude back.

My former English teacher at school used to say that when he was a teenager and reading books, his father would say to him "stop reading those books and do some bloody work".

My Mum can't shake off the feeling that reading during the day is wasting time and so feels that she can only read in bed at night. It was something her mother always told her. Happily she hasn't passed that feeling on to me!

Luna - I was rude back, someone cheered :D

My parents always encouraged reading, although my dad told me not to keep getting the same book out the library as I would wear the words out and then other people wouldn't be able to read them.

Never about me reading but rather about the things I choose to read.

Apparently reading Classics or books considered literature means that I think I am superior to others. People (family) have been quite nasty to me over my book choices.

I don't consider my choices superior at all they are just books that satisfy my tastes.

How could a person pretend to read on a train? surely that would be harder work than actually reading?

Why do people feel the need to make comments on you (one) in public? What a very rude, ill-mannered man.

I don't think I've ever had many derogatory comments about reading - mostly about what I've chosen to read.

Fortunately, my parents were both bibliophiles themselves, so my brother and I were actively encouraged to read. Including comics, which appalled my grandmother, until my mam pointed out that comics were actually slightly harder to follow, due to the non-linear progression of the speech. That shut her up for a few minutes, until she found something else to grizzle about. :D

Fortunately, my parents were both bibliophiles themselves, so my brother and I were actively encouraged to read. Including comics, which appalled my grandmother, until my mam pointed out that comics were actually slightly harder to follow, due to the non-linear progression of the speech. That shut her up for a few minutes, until she found something else to grizzle about. :D

:lmao:

People tend not to make derogatory comments about me reading, although I do sometimes get the odd comment about what I am reading, but they do seem to think it's weird that I would rather read a book than watch tv.