Sign in to follow this  
nonsuch

self abuse

Jonathan Self's memoir telling of his struggles to free himself from his upbringing by two wildly different and irresponsible parents had a certain fascination for me. Sub-titled 'Love, Loss and Fatherhood' it begins arrestingly: From the age of three I had only one ambition: not to be like my father. I hated everything about him: his smell; the dried white gunge that gathered in the corners of his mouth; the wax gently oozing from his ears; the strands of greying hair combed acreoss his balding head; his string vests and his wollen long johns It continues for a further half-page. But the real reason for his hatred is temperamental. Self junior is out-gunned by his professional and 'succesful' parent, who has multiple affairs and is absolutely selfish.

I enjoyed Self's trials and descent into the hell of drugs, drink, multiple divorces and much irresposible fathering. I enjoyed his tears, his intelligence and his disastrous life as if it were a novel. One shouldn't but I did.