Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Strangelove

Eurovision Song Contest

Is anyone watching this right now? Who do you think will win? Terry Wogan is the best thing about this programme. The presenters are awful, and last years act was unbearable to watch!!! I just can't wait to see Greece and Cyprus to give each other 10 points.

I used to watch it almost religiously every year when I was younger.... Even went so far as buying the incredibly tacky cd a couple of years ago :D, but can't justify taking an evening off from working to do nothing but watch bad (yet highly amusing) singing. Which makes me wonder, if I can't justify taking the time to watch a few hours of Europeans make fools of themselves in front of millions of viewers what am I doing surfing on the internet.... :confused:

sadly these days Eurovision is nothing more than a political points scoring contest, it has nothing to do with the 'singing'

We have no chance of winning this contest again because no-one else likes us, but do we care? no! :D

Ah but Eurovision, though IS like pop Idol, it's more than that because it's with countries, not sad individuals and i'ts intersting to see the politics of it, and to listen to Terry Wogan's hilarious overview. Reality shows have no politics whatsoever, and also Eurovision is an institution. Other shows aren't.

Did anyone else notice the irony that the 4 largest countries in Europe were the bottom 4?

The comment was no more than a humorous 'touche', and I can assure you I'm no apologist for reality TV - least of all 'Pop Idol', which must be the only programme that actually makes Eurovision sound like quality.

But in terms of being a contest, the ESC has been beyond a joke for years - the music itself, well, that was never particularly important. Even Wogan'll testify to that.

However, as for being an 'institution' - well, I couldn't have put it better myself...

Well, I wasn't on book group on Saturday as I was too busy hosting a Eurovision party! You have to love the tacky splendour of it all. And Terry Wogan. Some of his comments were a bit risque weren't they?! Like 'Here's one for the gypsies' when Romania came on!!!! Oo-er.

Eurovision beats Reality TV hands-down, while I hate that I compulsively watch reality TV (see other thread!) I am very happy to devote 3 hours a year to basking in the spirit of european unity - er, except that everyone hates the UK! I don't know how the UK can ever hope to win.

Hay look at poor little old Ireland, whatever we have done to them all I don't know, but they won't even let us in it anymore!!! Even though we were not very good there were a few who did get through that were just taking the ya know!!!! And the poor Netherlands the women had as great voice and she should of gone through even before Ireland!! Its all very unfair I have to say!!

But it is worth watching just to listen to Terry and over on our side we also have Marty he is really becoming a bit of a Terry and will now say anything!! Its great fun flicking them over and back, i'm starting to think they are swaping notes!! :D

Hay look at poor little old Ireland, whatever we have done to them all I don't know, but they won't even let us in it anymore!!!

Missing Ireland out of Eurovision was indeed a great injustice.

Presumably Ireland were eliminated in the semi-final stage? Apparently, the UK doesn't have to take part in the semi-final because the BBC makes such a large contribution to running the whole thing. Ironic, that.

I suppose that the BBC rate success by the number of viewers. As long as people like Romance Obsessed are prepared to boost the viewing figures by hosting parties, then the BBC will be happy to support the thing. It's an event that ceased to have any meaning to the world of music some 20 to 30 years ago, but that's not the point, is it?

lol, surely by hosting a party Romance Obsessed is lowering the viewing figures as lots of people are at her flat watching it on one tv instead of on separate tvs in their own homes! :D

:eek: I'm horrified! Though lots of the people who came don't normally watch Eurovision, so hopefully I've made a few converts too...

Good point, and I don't know the answer. I would imagine that viewing figures are supposed to be based on the number of people watching, rather than the number of TVs tuned in. I used to know someone who contributed to the official figures (she had a device conncted to her TV and phone which monitored what she was watching) and I'm fairly sure that she had to state the number of people in the room.

That's weird, I always thought the TV people could monitor who had TV sets in their houses and what they were watching - I guess the TV licence people like to give that impression :rolleyes: .

That's weird, I always thought the TV people could monitor who had TV sets in their houses and what they were watching - I guess the TV licence people like to give that impression :rolleyes: .

They do indeed! In fact I'm reliably informed (by some very geeky friends) that the TV license people cannot tell whether you have a TV in your house or not. Sure, they can pick up the slight radiation it gives off, but can they pinpoint it to your house instead of the one next door? Also it supposedly gives off radiation almost the same as a microwave does.

This caused some interesting problems last year for one of my flatmates.... Five of us shared a flat and because of the contract we had to have individual TV licenses. Four of us had TVs (and yes we all had licenses - didn't want to get caught without one and have to pay that huge fine!!!). The remaining flatmate did not have a TV and therefore no license. Now this being student accommodation, the TV people check fairly carefully who hasn't paid. So TV-less flatmate kept getting nasty letters about having not paid and how she would be fined despite telling them several times that she didn't have a TV. They gave up hassling after a couple of months!

They do indeed! In fact I'm reliably informed (by some very geeky friends) that the TV license people cannot tell whether you have a TV in your house or not. Sure, they can pick up the slight radiation it gives off, but can they pinpoint it to your house instead of the one next door? Also it supposedly gives off radiation almost the same as a microwave does.

This caused some interesting problems last year for one of my flatmates.... Five of us shared a flat and because of the contract we had to have individual TV licenses. Four of us had TVs (and yes we all had licenses - didn't want to get caught without one and have to pay that huge fine!!!). The remaining flatmate did not have a TV and therefore no license. Now this being student accommodation, the TV people check fairly carefully who hasn't paid. So TV-less flatmate kept getting nasty letters about having not paid and how she would be fined despite telling them several times that she didn't have a TV. They gave up hassling after a couple of months!

Very brave! I was at my boyfriend's student house a couple of years ago when the TV licence people came knocking. Unfortunately we had the TV on very loud not far away from the front door... it was a huge metre-wide thing too, so not much chance of hiding it...still, they didn't pay for the first 6 months of living there.

Just to open this thread in time for 2007s competition in Helsinki.

Who is going to watch tonight?

I have been watching it for more than thirty years now and won't give up this year. ;)

I think we'll be back home for drunken heckling of the (endless) results. Wogan should be nicely drunk and performing at his best by then! ;)

I think we'll be back home for drunken heckling of the (endless) results. Wogan should be nicely drunk and performing at his best by then! ;)

Do you think he will get the names right tonight?!

Ah, dear old Tel! He's definitely at his best after a few drams.

I might tune in sporadically, but the voting is so farcical now that it just annoys me.

Our ludicrous song doesn't stand a chance, but then even if we had a good song we'd only do moderately well with the back-slapping voting blocks.

You are definitely right there, David. The best songs neve r win anyways, only those who have enough neighbours who will vote for them. (Somehow, Germany never really had them, even Austria never gives them any points. It's an ever returning joke. ;))

I have never watched it. I don't mind the show, it's one of those oddities that keeps life amusing, I just don't really enjoy watching really bad songs performed really badly. And I hate Terry Wogan. I'll be watching a DVD.