Sign in to follow this  
Tay

Amazon

Apologies if there is already a similar thread.

Last year I bought a TV series DVD from Amazon. It was on offer so I bought it even though I knew it may be a while before I had time to watch it.

Well over the past few weeks I've been watching it only to find a fault on the last disc meaning the last two episodes are unwatchable.

I emailed Amazon about this, though given that I bought it last July, I wasn't really expecting any help from them.

I had a reply back from them in under two hours saying they will send out a replacement set and ask that I send them the faulty set.

Now it could be I'm singing their praises too soon as I only had the email this afternoon and I'll have to wait and see if the DVD arrives but so far I'm very impressed.

Anybody else had good/bad experiences with Amazon as far returns procedures?

I'll post an update when the replacement DVD arrives.

I had a similar experience, Tay. I bought the Jason Bourne boxset when it was on special offer, but having recently seen the films I didn't watch it for a good six months. On doing so the second disc was faulty and froze, no matter how much I cleaned it.

They sent out a no-quibble replacement before even receiving my returned boxset. Very good.

That said, other experiences with Amazon have been less than glowing. Most notably when buying a new HD TV. It was a very sought-after model that couldn't be found in stock anywhere. Amazon had a five week delivery date so I ordered.

Then the TV was noted as out of stock on the site with a note that it was unknown when or if it would be in stock again. I phoned to enquire and was assured it would be delivered within the timescale. At this moment I found a few had come into stock at Curry's online, but they were a little more expensive and would be delivered later, so I left it because of Amazon's assurance.

Of course I was eventually contacted by Amazon to say they couldn't meet the delivery and didn't know when or if they ever could. I consequently had to buy the TV from somewhere else, once I found one in stock, and at an even higher price than Curry's. So Amazon's faulty information cost me quite a lot of money.

I made complaints about this because it was clear that if the operative I spoke with had actually looked into it rather than just throwing out empty, standard assurances it would have been clear Amazon was not going to receive the TVs.

This became a little protracted and eventually someone senior contacted me with a rather small sum in compensation and the assurance that this had highlighted a weakness in their procedures that they would address.

Mmmm. I'm sure.

So, good and bad. I still use them.

I had a similar experience, Tay. I bought the Jason Bourne boxset when it was on special offer, but having recently seen the films I didn't watch it for a good six months. On doing so the second disc was faulty and froze, no matter how much I cleaned it.

They sent out a no-quibble replacement before even receiving my returned boxset. Very good.

That said, other experiences with Amazon have been less than glowing. Most notably when buying a new HD TV. It was a very sought-after model that couldn't be found in stock anywhere. Amazon had a five week delivery date so I ordered.

Then the TV was noted as out of stock on the site with a note that it was unknown when or if it would be in stock again. I phoned to enquire and was assured it would be delivered within the timescale. At this moment I found a few had come into stock at Curry's online, but they were a little more expensive and would be delivered later, so I left it because of Amazon's assurance.

Of course I was eventually contacted by Amazon to say they couldn't meet the delivery and didn't know when or if they ever could. I consequently had to buy the TV from somewhere else, once I found one in stock, and at an even higher price than Curry's. So Amazon's faulty information cost me quite a lot of money.

I made complaints about this because it was clear that if the operative I spoke with had actually looked into it rather than just throwing out empty, standard assurances it would have been clear Amazon was not going to receive the TVs.

This became a little protracted and eventually someone senior contacted me with a rather small sum in compensation and the assurance that this had highlighted a weakness in their procedures that they would address.

Mmmm. I'm sure.

So, good and bad. I still use them.

Thanks David, your experience with the replacement DVD is reassuring. :)

Sorry to hear about the TV problems though.

:(

I ordered three DVDs from Amazon recently for my four year old. When they arrived all three boxes were damaged, one so badly I had to replace it. As my little boy was not going to be too happy about waiting to watch his DVDs and the discs themselves were undamaged I didn't bother returning them. I did use the feedback system to make a complaint but got absolutely no response from Amazon.

I recently returned a DVD to Amazon but not before they had replaced it. It turned out that the DVD wasn't faulty, it was just the way the film had been edited but I've always found their services to be excellent.

I've found Amazon excellent when I need to make a return and get a replacement, but far less so when I've needed to make a non-standard complaint.

I ordered a Klutz book for a child at Christmas - one of those girlie things with quizzes for her friends. It turned out to contain hand-written graffiti of a nature unsuitable for an 8yo girl, and it must have been done in the Amazon warehouse. I thought Amazon would be concerned that their staff were doing such a thing (potentially repeatedly), but all I got was pre-programmed responses regarding returns labels. In a real shop, I expect I would have got a more human response recognising the embarassment and upset caused.

It turned out to contain hand-written graffiti of a nature unsuitable for an 8yo girl, and it must have been done in the Amazon warehouse.

Blimey, thats bad. Not good at all. I think I would have tried to get to the top to complain about that one.

Well as promised up date to my faulty DVD problem.

The replacement disc arrived today, which given I only reported it two days ago is an excellent service.

According to the other posts in this thread it sounds like Amazon is like other services in life sometimes good (effecient/excellent) and sometimes bad (or worse) but on the response I rec'd I'll definitely be singing their praises. Thanks to everybody for your input.

Glad it was sorted, Tay. And of course this is as good a moment as any to remind everyone that ordering through the Amazon link on the BGO homepage costs you no extra, doesn't involve any other effort on your part than clicking on it in the first place but gives BGO a small return to help offset the running costs of the site.

Glad it was sorted, Tay. And of course this is as good a moment as any to remind everyone that ordering through the Amazon link on the BGO homepage costs you no extra, doesn't involve any other effort on your part than clicking on it in the first place but gives BGO a small return to help offset the running costs of the site.

Thanks David, and yes I hope others also, continue to use the link.

David, does BGO get a little bit if it goes through Amazon to a marketplace seller?

David, does BGO get a little bit if it goes through Amazon to a marketplace seller?

I don't think so, Luna, no. That said, if you place such an order then I could check and see.

David, when I tried to order from amazon through BGO, it went to amazon uk and I don't think that will work for me. Is there any way to get the same deal with amazon us? I would like to support the site, since I visit it all the time, but the amazon uk connection and the suggestion for writing a check (or "cheque") for a certain amount of pounds has defeated me.

I would like to support the site, since I visit it all the time, but the amazon uk connection and the suggestion for writing a check (or "cheque") for a certain amount of pounds has defeated me.

Yup, that's a problem! The arrangement is only with Amazon UK, so there's no way round that.

The easiest way to donate is to become a subscriber - which will give you an avatar too! Just click 'Subscribe or Donate' at the bottom of the home page and you can go through Paypal. The default cost is even in dollars!

That also allows straightforward donations too and you don't have to worry about checks!

Luna, if you PM me with details of what you bought I can then cheque for you.

No - wait...

I did it. I don't think it was that easy the last time I tried, but there's a good chance it was operator error all along.

We'll see if I can manage an avatar. Probably not.

That avatar thing just about killed me. My associate had to come in and help. I probably would have gotten there eventually, but it would have taken HOURS. The picture is the actual Binker, very up close. My apologies to Lucyb because now I realize that our avatars look very much alike.

Thank you lucyb. I have almost no pictures of him looking at the camera. He always turns his head at the last minute. I think he must be in the witness protection program or something.

I think he must be in the witness protection program or something.

:D

That made me laugh. My cat is similarly camera-shy. She runs off or looks at me with disgust, never in a cute way.

However, I eventually realised she was annoyed by the red autofocus lamp which probably shines in her eyes. I tried focusing manually once and she was a lot more compliant, even coquettish!

A question to the Mods, do we still get the small return for ordering items through the Amazon link?

The way we do it for amazon us is that I get the "credit" and then paypal the amount of the credit to Hazel.  That's the best we could do at the time. I haven't gotten any notices recently that we are entitled to anything and Hazel hasn't told me to pay something, so I'm not sure it's working.  

I also carefully set it up so that when I ordered from the flag at the bottom of this site, it went to my husband's amazon account so that we would get credit.  I think that has changed somehow, so that might be a small part of the problem, but not all of it, since I have friends who order through the site, too.