Sign in to follow this  
David

Sherlock (TV series)

I'm always a bit cautious about this sort of thing - 'reinvention'. It was bad enough having Basil Rathbone capering around after the Nazis, but bringing Holmes into the 21st century? Hmmmm.

Of course, on the plus side it's Stephen Moffat's creation and given his general success with Doctor Who that obviously inspires confidence.

...But then Moffat has 'form' on this one. He also embarked on the rather dodgy reimagining of Jekyll, which started promisingly but ultimately was very disappointing (there's discussion of it over several pages on this thread).

So, I was relieved to find it was excellent! You have to wonder if part of the conception of this series was Moffat thinking about the Afghanistan war and then recalling, "Oooh - didn't Doctor Watson fight in Afghanistan?" It's a neat parallel, certainly.

And Watson is crucial to this, I think. Martin Freeman's calm, understated performance provides an earth for Benedict Cumberbatch's intense Holmes, preventing the concept from detaching itself from reality.

It all remains surprisingly true to the original, allowing some neat tongue-in-cheek humour along the way. I loved the nicotine patch gag. I also liked the careful explication of each piece of deductive reasoning - even the captions dancing around the screen!

The examination of the psychology is also an angle I'm pleased to see. Holmes is clearly a tortured character and I enjoyed the aspects of that being played out, including his temptation to play the cabbie's 'game'.

I didn't find the levels of animosity towards him from the police wholly convincing, but maybe there's more to discover there in backstory. I'm also not wild about Una Stubbs' Mrs Hudson - though liked the gag about her husband.

So, thumbs up, Mr Moffat - you're having quite a year!

Just been posting about this elsewhere.

I enjoyed it more than I expected to. There is rather a strong whiff of Doctor Who about it - so much so that when Holmes produced Lestrade's pick-pocketed warrant card I briefly thought it was psychic paper - and was not surprised!

I was cross with myself at letting them mislead me about the Mark Gatiss character.

Didn't pick up the reference to him losing weight, Mycroft in the stories being a tall, bulky man. I wasn't expecting him at all, as he only features in a few of the stories.

I hope Moriarty remains an unseen adversary.

I didn't see this last night or record it and based on your judgements, David, am now rather regretting it. I am one of those Holmes fans who is instantly suspicious of people tinkering with the formula. I haven't seen the Guy Ritchie film either for the same reason.

I didn't find the levels of animosity towards him from the police wholly convincing, but maybe there's more to discover there in backstory.
Holmes himself in the original stories never made any secret of his contempt for the police and their efforts, and equally Lestrade and co would scoff at some of Holmes's more outlandish sounding solutions when they were first presented to them. I'm guessing this is just an effort to portray that in a modern, 21st century sort of way :rolleyes:.

I haven't seen the Guy Ritchie film either for the same reason.

Don't ever watch it - it's awful.

Holmes himself in the original stories never made any secret of his contempt for the police and their efforts, and equally Lestrade and co would scoff at some of Holmes's more outlandish sounding solutions when they were first presented to them.

Indeed. No, I can certainly see the credibility of Holmes not being popular amongst the police, but there was just such a high level of personal contempt it seemed to go a bit far, as if cranked up a notch too much for dramatic reasons.

And yes, Hazel's right. Don't bother with the Guy Ritchie version. Which is a Guy Ritchie version. Sections of it could have come straight out of Snatch, and much as I love Robert Downey Jr, he just ain't Holmes.

Worth catching up with this version, though. I think you'd like it.

The hour and a half this was on simply flew by.

I loved amongst other things the techie thing of the words on mobiles coming up in big print over people's heads or the thoughts of Sherlock.

I liked the scene in the Soho restaurant where Watson doesn't want to be thought of as Holmes's 'boyfriend'.

I had read some of Conan Doyles' stories many years ago and didn't mind at all this recreation. Good pacy stuff.

I was cross with myself at letting them mislead me about the Mark Gatiss character.

Didn't pick up the reference to him losing weight, Mycroft in the stories being a tall, bulky man. I wasn't expecting him at all, as he only features in a few of the stories.

I hope Moriarty remains an unseen adversary.

I was cross at letting myself be manipulated out of my initial guess!

My first instinct was Mycroft - the control of the cameras suggested someone within government and it was all so obviously sinister that I thought it was wrong-footing and it would turn out to be someone on Holmes' side. But when Gatiss went on about the arch-enemy business I thought, "Oh, it must be Moriarty, then." :rolleyes:

I liked this too and look forward to seeing the other parts. Benedict Cumberbatch is fast becoming one of my favourite actors, I've seen him in several things, most recently playing Van Gogh and he's just superb. Loved the way he portrayed Holmes (should really read more of these!) and was totally taken in by the 'arch enemy' bit. Oh, and I totally loved the the cabbie story.

Hmm, I'm not sure about the cabbie, having a cabbie as a bad, invisible guy isn't original and I couldn't work out why no one noticed that the cabbie had turned up at Holmes' flat, but all the same I still thoroughly enjoyed it. There was a strong whiff of Doctor Who about it, so much so that my husband who doesn't watch DW and didn't know who Stephan Moffat is commented that Holmes reminded him of David Tennant.

having a cabbie as a bad, invisible guy isn't original and I couldn't work out why no one noticed that the cabbie had turned up at Holmes' flat,

I felt that was very weak. I started shouting 'taxi driver' at the TV fairly early on, and couldn't believe that Holmes could be so thick!

If I could work it out then surely the brilliant Holmes should have done.

Of course, the who? was the easy bit, it was the how? that was intriguing.

And Phil Davis makes a wonderful villain :D

It wasn't quite as good as the first, no, but still very enjoyable and just streets ahead of so much other TV drama of recent times.

Dozed off before it started and only saw the last 15min, but I feel no urge to watch it on iPlayer.

Especially as I understand there is only one more episode to come?

Dozed off before it started and only saw the last 15min, but I feel no urge to watch it on iPlayer.

Especially as I understand there is only one more episode to come?

Yup, though I'm sure they'll commission more.

It's worth watching all the same.

Loved the opening sequence in tonight's episode :D

I can't decide if I like the little references to the originals. If I recognise a phrase it catches my attention, but then I expect to see elements of that story in the action.

My hopes were raised when Holmes identified the stationery as being Bohemian, as Irene Adler is my favourite amongst Holmes' adversaries, but I was doomed to disappointment. :(

Still, I suppose introducing another 'arch enemy' into such a short series would not be a good idea.

only 3?
I think that might become more common. Wallender with Kenneth Brannagh has, so far, had two series of three episodes each. Good news about Sherlock.

Saw the first one of this series and watched the third (recorded on our Sky box) last night - missed number two for some reason. Like most here I loved the first one a lot. Found the third one a little too clever for its own good in a way. Having said that it was very slick and the characters are engaging. Perhaps the meeting at the pool with Moriarty was the final straw with the 'too clever by half' feeling and I felt it went on a tad too long. I would probably watch the next series when it appears though.

I think that might become more common. Wallender with Kenneth Brannagh has, so far, had two series of three episodes each. Good news about Sherlock.
I didn't know that. I thought that it was strange commissioning only 3 episodes in the first place but thought that once they knew that it was popular we might get a whole series out of it.

I'll sit and watch anything with Benedict Cumberbatch in it, so not an impartial POV and much looking forward to the next 3.

This series has just shown up in the U.S. My DVR is set to record all of the Masterpieces of any stripe and so I recorded this one. Like everyone else, I was anticipating that I would not like it. The advertisements didn't really whet my appetite either. But I watched the first one and really liked it. I also liked the second one, although not quite as much. Still, I plan to watch the next one and then the next set of 3, whenever they show up over here. I thought it was funny how much things haven't changed (Afghanistan) and how much they have (everyone assuming that Holmes and Watson are a romantic couple). Sadly, though, I can't find very many other people who have watched it. I don't recognize the actor who plays Holmes (Cumberbatch?), but then I have never seen (I realize this will be shocking) "Dr. Who."

I don't recognize the actor who plays Holmes (Cumberbatch?),
He's been in a few good things. I first came across him in the excellent BBC adaptation of William Golding's Sea Trilogy "To The Ends of the Earth."

Thought I'd better wake this thread up before discussion of the programme takes up too much of the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes  group read forum.

Ep 1 of the new 'series' was great fun, as long as you didn't expect it to make sense in "the real world"

Hi all.

Managed to watch the first episode of Sherlock series 3, with the explanation of how Sherlock avoided his death in the pevios series. I've loved this reinvention from the start and think the writing, production and acting have always been stellar.

I could only watch this episode with one eye because of my little one so hopefully somone else can answer a question I'm left with.

If Mycroft had the assasins threatening Mrs. Hudson, Lestrange & Watson, covered taking them out of play, what was the ultimate point in Sherlock faking his death?

Am I being dense or have I missed something?

Looking forward to the next episode regardless.