Sign in to follow this  
rachel2210

Book similar to the Bone Garden?

Hello everyone,

Firstly I apologise if I am posting this in the wrong place as I am new here!

Secondly, can anyone recommend any good historical murder mystery books that are set in either England or America up to around 300 years ago but were written within the last 10-15 years?

I have not long read Tess Gerritsen's The Bone Garden and loved the way it went back and forth from present day to the 1800's.

Any suggestions?

Thank you :)

Boris Akunin's books are all murder stories set in C19 Russia, and all were written in the last 15years.

C.J. Sansom's 'Shardlake' series has been widely praised (I have not read any myself). All written this century, but set in the reign of Henry VIII, somewhat further back than you specified.

I'm sure you will find other recommendations down in the Crime, Thrillers & Mystery Forum.

This thread would be best placed down there, but I will leave it here for the moment, so you don't think it has disappeared.

I've read Dissolution by C J Sansom (the first in the Shardlake series) and thought it was good. Good characters, plot and sense of time and place.

Hello everyone,

I originally posted in the Central Library forum but was advised to post here instead.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good historical murder mystery books that are set in either England or America up to around 300 years ago but were written within the last 10-15 years?

I have not long read Tess Gerritsen's The Bone Garden and loved the way it went back and forth from present day to the 1800's.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

:)

I thought of 3, but I'm worried that none of them are quite the period you are looking for:

Sharon Kay Penman, who writes historical fiction, has written several books that feature Justin de Quincy, who solves murder mysteries for, among others, Eleanor of Aquitaine. I think the first one is called The Queen's Man and is set in 1193.

Will Thomas has written a series of books that are set in Victorian England that I have enjoyed. The first one is called Some Danger Involved and involve the exploits of a young man named Thomas Llewelyn, who goes to work for a mysterious and eccentric "inquiry agent" named Barker.

Charles Todd has written a series of books that take place in England immediately after WWI. I think the first book is Wings of Fire, but if you are interested, you should check because it is important to read this series in order. I really enjoy this series.

After that, I'm worried that they are too modern, but you have Rex Stout, Raymond Chandler, and Dashiell Hammett...