Vote for the next book group read  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next book group read

• The Cone Gatherers by Robin Jenkins
    • Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively
    • Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Thanks very much for the suggestions for this read. The three choices are:

The Cone Gatherers by Robin Jenkins.

Calum and Neil are the cone-gatherers - two brothers at work in the forest of a large Scottish estate. But the harmony of their life together is shadowed by the dark obsessive hatred of Duror, the gamekeeper. Set during the Second World War, Robin Jenkins' greatest novel is an immensely powerful examination of good and evil, and mankind's propensity for both. Removed from the destruction and bloodshed of the war, the brothers' oblivious happiness becomes increasingly fragile as darker forces close in around them. With its themes of class-conflict, war, evil and envy, "The Cone-Gatherers" is a towering work of fiction that remains as relevant today as when it was first published. Suspenseful, dark and unforgettable, it is one of the masterpieces of modern Scottish literature.

Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively.

The story is the life of historian Claudia Hampton, told by her as she sits in her retirement home, believed by her nurses to be senile and incapable of thought. Silently she proves them wrong. She takes us back to her life in Egypt during the second world war, her husband and lover, her daughter and brother, and everything else that teems through her head. But Claudia's ambitions are greater, and she wants to write "a history of the world ... and in the process, my own" and she takes us back also to the settlers of America in the 1620s, and ancient civilisations. All quite extraordinary in a novel of 200 pages.

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.

Constructed around a cattle drive - an epic journey from dry, hard-drinking south Texas, where a band of retired Texas Rangers has been living idly, to the last outpost and the last days of the old, unsettled West in rough Montana. The time is the 1880s. The characters are Woodrow Call, who leads the drive, talkative Gus McCrae, Call's best friend, learned, lenient, almost magically skilled in a crisis. As the rag-tag band drives the cattle 3,000 miles northward, only Call fails to learn that his quest to conquer more new territories in the West is futile.

Please vote for the book that you would like to read and discuss. Voting is open to everyone and will close 24 July 2010.

Thanks

I am tempted by all 3 and for the moment I think I need to go and have a long hard think about my vote....

Perhaps if my local library has all 3 I can read the opening pages and decide.

I am tempted by all 3 and for the moment I think I need to go and have a long hard think about my vote....

Perhaps if my local library has all 3 I can read the opening pages and decide.

I voted all right but I am also tempted by all three. If it's any help Bobblington, they have a few pages on each book except Lonesome Dove on Amazon and an excerpt from the prequel to LD (Dead Man's Walk, (Lonesome Dove) ) to give a flavour of Larry McMurtry's writing.

For everybody else : please don't let the length of Lonesome Dove put you off, from DMW it seems to be very easy to read.

I've just finished The Cone Gatherers - I wanted to read it whatever happens, but I'll hold off on starting a thread until the group read is decided. It's a quick read, anyway, so it's worth reading even if Moon Tiger wins as is likely.

Thanks to everyone who voted.

I hope you will all want to read Moon Tiger and will contribute to the discussion. (No pressure :) )

I don't think we need to rush though as this read should see us through the summer.

I've just finished The Cone Gatherers - I wanted to read it whatever happens, but I'll hold off on starting a thread until the group read is decided. It's a quick read, anyway, so it's worth reading even if Moon Tiger wins as is likely.
I've just finished this too and it's well worth reading. Absolutely fantastic! Thanks for the recommendation MM I'd never heard of this before and as a result would never have read it, and boy what I would have missed!

Suggested this to my RL bookgroup for one of our summer reads, and they all agreed.

I do like it when one book can cover two reading 'commitments' :D

Suggested this to my RL bookgroup for one of our summer reads, and they all agreed.

I do like it when one book can cover two reading 'commitments' :D

Well done Meg!

The Cone-Gatherers is my choice.

I'm afraid you've missed the boat. Voting finished a week ago, and Moon Tiger won.

Which of course does not stop you reading The Cone Gatherers in your own time, and contributing to the thread on it further up the page.

I've started re-reading the decidedly brilliant Moon Tiger... will the discussion be here or on a fresh thread?

I've started re-reading the decidedly brilliant Moon Tiger... will the discussion be here or on a fresh thread?

David will make a sub-forum for it, and then we can start threads there on as many aspects of the book as we feel inclined.

At which point one of us will close this thread.