Sign in to follow this  
Claire

A Prayer For Owen Meany

I've just finished reading this and loved it. I know a few people here have read it, as it got mentionned on the Books that makes you cry thread.

So - what did you think of it? To my surprise, it didn't make me cry at all. Maybe that was because I was expecting a big, tragic ending, so I was ready for it. I saw what was coming way before it actually did.

Loved it all the same, though. Owen was a fantastic character, as was the whole Wheelwright family.

I liked it, too, when I read it, although it was a very long time ago. No tears shed on my copy either.

Big John Irving fan in general. I'd single out "Garp" and "Hotel New Hampshire" for special praise more than "Owen Meany".

I love 'Owen Meany'. I find all of John Irvine's work compulsive, but this is my favourite. I like the CAPITAL LETTERS that he uses for Owen's voice, what does he sound like? Such an intriguing character. I can't remember if I cried or not, I think I may have done which is unusual for me because I don't normally get so involved. I never see an ending coming, however obvious, so I could easily have been caught.

You've made me want to dig it out and read it again - excellent! :D

I could never get into it. I tried reading it a few times but it just never interested me. I can't even remember why, it was a few years ago that I picked it up. I'm not the biggest Irving fan though.

I like the CAPITAL LETTERS that he uses for Owen's voice, what does he sound like?

I can answer this one - but only by giving away the ending, so don't click on the spoiler box, if you are ever likely to want to read this!!

Spoiler - Chapter 1

Owen wonders a lot in the book about the reason his voice is the way it is - and in particular, why his voice never breaks. At the end, where he calls out "Don't panic" and "Lie Down" (or similar) to the children, in their own language - he suddenly realises the answer. His voice sounds like that of the Vietnamese kids - they are more likely to trust him and respond, because he sounds like one of them. That's the reason it sounds the way it does. [/s

I find it a powerful and disturbing concept that Owen lives most of his life knowing that his end is "pre-ordained" - and that he will give his life to save others. That fore-shadowing was haunting to read - the way he faced up to his knowledge so squarely and determinedly - rather than trying to hide from it or divert events.

Spoiler - Chapter 2

I found that the obsession with practising the baseball shot disturbing - and that was what gave the ending away. It was clearly never going to be used in a real baseball match. So it had to be something to do with his end - and getting a bomb out of a confined space seemed the only possibility

Loved this book! I've not read anything else by John Irving, but I'm keen to now.

Edited by MisterHobgoblin
Cleaning up spoilers

Claire, thanks for your 'spoiler' above which answered my question and showed smart thinking (gold star!). Def. need to dig it out again and add it to my (huge) to be read pile. If only work didn't get in the way of my reading needs...

I've read this and Garp and have loved both. I've also picked up another 4 of Irvings work in the same cover style because I love how they look on my bookcase! The trouble is that I can't now decide which one to read!

I have:

The Hotel New Hampshire

The Cider House Rules

A Son of the Circus

A Widow for One Year

Any suggestions which one would be good to read next?

As for Owen, I think he is one of the most fabulous characters ever created, I wish I could have a best friend like him.

I'd go for "Hotel NH", although I guess I'm a bit biased towards it as it was the book that introduced me to Irving.

Hope you're enjoying "The Secret History", I'd nominate it as one of my favourite novels of all time.

I think you should gp for "Cider House Rules". It's the one I liked best ofter "Owen"

"Good night you princes of Maine, you kings of New England".

I know I have gotten the quote wrong, just can't think of it of the top of my head. Anyone know?

I haven't read Son of the Circus, but of the others I'd go with Widow for One Year. So that's three answers and three different recommendations - congratulations! You'll just have to read all three, they are all fabulous, but W4OY is the only one I've read twice (although I have also read Owen Meany and Garp twice, at least).

Let us know your decision/opinion.

It has at least ruled out one of the books! I think I may have to do my eyes closed and point trick, works a treat everytime :P

I thought I'd start a thread on this as I noticed someone had bought/borrowed it yesterday, and I'm sure lots of us have read it. I won't say too much yet.. just that I remember being profoundly affected by it and (at the time) thought that it was the best book I'd ever read. It's probably still in my top three. It's a book that has so much in it with such memorable characters and I'd love to chat about it with some of you guys.

I thought I'd start a thread on this as I noticed someone had bought/borrowed it yesterday, and I'm sure lots of us have read it. I won't say too much yet.. just that I remember being profoundly affected by it and (at the time) thought that it was the best book I'd ever read. It's probably still in my top three. It's a book that has so much in it with such memorable characters and I'd love to chat about it with some of you guys.

Hi lipstick_librarian

I agree with you 100% about Owen Meany.

Did you mean this to be thread for only this book or a John Irving thread?

ENJOY

GERBAM

Did you mean this to be thread for only this book or a John Irving thread?

As the thread title is A Prayer For Owen Meaney it would be best to keep the discussion mainly about that book.

There is no reason why you shouldn't start a Twentieth Century Books of John Irving thread or a Recent Books Of John Irving thread (in the Novels of the 21st century forum) as well, if you wish to discuss his writing in more general terms.

I read it a couple of years ago and thought it was pretty good. It's a little heavy-handed on the Vietnam issue and American foreign policy, but I guess it does fit in well with the beliefs of Owen and Johnny--and Irving, of course. I thought the characters were described quite well and in great detail, the episodes in their lives and their personal development were quite interesting, the faith/doubt and destiny discussions were fairly presented, the friendships were touching, and Irving's narrative was very witty and enjoyable.

I plan on trying The World According to Garp as my next Irving novel.

This is one of my all time favourite books and one I've been meaning to re-read for a while. I thought that Owen Meany was one of the most extraordinary characters that I'd ever read about, especially the relationship he had with his parents. The end was very moving and (as usual for me!) I didn't guess where it was going so I was truly shocked. It may have been heavy handed as someone said, but often things need to be for me to get them! Yes, definitely deserves a re-read.

Yes, definitely deserves a re-read.

I think it's one of those books that you can happily read again with hindsight and gain so much more from it. The plot (or at least Owen's destiny part of it) is very contrived and I'd like to read it again knowing what it is all leading up to. I wonder when I'll have the luxury of enough time to re-read books!

Owen is certainly one of the most memorable characters I've ever 'met'. He's such a great invention - his physicality, his destiny, and of course, his VOICE.

My OH is an Irving fan so I'll have to have a chat to him later and see what he thinks.

My thoughts on the character of Owen Meany is that he is a corruption of Marilyn Monroe. She died in 1962, in the period of the Vietnam war that features so heavily in the book. America seems to have a preoccupation with events of the sixties (Vietnam, Monroe, Kennedy) and I'm sure A Prayer For Owen Meany is Irving's attempt to bring all these things together.

How, you say, can Owen Meany be Marilyn Monroe? Aside from not knowing who their real father was, it's all down to her choice of husbands and lovers, namely Joe DiMaggio, Arthur Miller, and John F. Kennedy. These mens' careers influence the direction of Owen Meany's life: baseball, drama, then politics.

I'm not au fait with the whole American love affair with Monroe or the Vietnam War so I can't really comment much further other than to say that I read this book early last year and I thoroughly enjoyed it, its considerable size never feeling like a drag to read.

This book is my favorite of all time. I'm hounding my boyfriend and mother to read it right now. The foreshadowing is what really made it for me, and Owen's distinct characterization. This novel really pulled me into John Irving. I just finished Son of the Circus and A Widow For One Year. So far, he hasn't let me down.

Has anyone else seen the movie it was loosely based on? It's called Simon Birch. It's so completely different, but good in it's own way. (I cry every time I watch it.) I dunno. It's one of those movies where you love it, and then you read the book and it's just not the same.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Dan
      Setting Free the Bears by John Irving is a valiant attempt for a first novel, but it falls short in a few places. And it tries to make a statement, though whether that statement is "no good deed goes unpunished " or "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" or "fanatics are hard on the rest of the world" or even something else entirely, I cannot be sure.
      Basic storyline; Siggy and Hannes are flunking out of college, so they buy a motorcycle and toodle about Austria, getting into mischief and living off the fat(and beer) of the land. Along the way Siggy decides to liberate the animals from the zoo in Vienna, but is waylaid before he can carry them out. Eventually Hannes decides to do the job himself, as a tribute to his friend.
      Hannes narrates the first and third sections, and is an annoyingly cutesie narrator. I'm sure it was meant to be funny, but I seldom found it so. He is a bit of a horndog too, understandable enough in a young man, but his wooing of the obviously underage and innocent Gallen was galling.
      I enjoyed the twin narratives of Siggy's autobiography and zoo recon in the notebook which constitutes the middle third of the book much better. The humor was subtler and less juvenile, and the stories more compelling. But Siggy is a fanatic, and while likable and sympathetic, I was not surprised by his downfall.
      I had a difficult time getting into this book or sticking with it. But I'm glad I persevered. It's not a great book but ultimately it's a worthwhile read. It gets points for effort and originality, but loses most of them for trying too hard and never feeling real. 3 stars
    • By Dan
      The Fourth Hand by John Irving
      Patrick Wallingford, an exceptionally handsome but callow man,is a television journalist whose hand is bitten off, and eaten, by a lion, on camera while he is doing a report from a circus in India. Eventually he recieves a hand transplant and develops a relationship with the widow of the donor. Interspersed throughout are encounters with women who adore and/or despise him , and odd encounters with people who feel like they know him because they watched his dismemberment on TV. And a certain level of somewhat hypocritical discourse on the nature of television news. I say hypocritical because the novel itself is lurid and melodramatic in the extreme, and because Wallingford himself, the "Lion Guy" or "Disaster Man" actually seems too shallow to really care about such things.
      I have been a big fan of John Irving since reading Garp when I was in high school. He had never disappointed me. Until The Fourth Hand. And it's not really a bad novel. Irving can still write a wonderful, poetic, witty and clever sentence. And he still has a tremendous imagination. But this book just didn't jell. It was disjointed and flitted from aspect to aspect, more like it was notes that never really got organized cohesively. The characterizations seemed contradictory rather than complex. The last third of the book flowed much better, and a critical plot device which made no sense at all was finally explained, but by then I really just wanted to be done with it. If this was a first novel I'd give it 3stars and call it promising. But it is Irving's 10th novel and seemed like it was just phoned in. It didn't feel like he really put in the effort he should have. Because I know John Irving can do so much better than this I give it 2.5stars.
    • By dangerous
      hey all
      this is my first post so hope I'm doing it right. Just wondered, am a big John Irving fan but was disappointed by his last novel 'The Fourth Hand', has anyone read his new novel 'Until I find you' yet? What did you think? Loved his earlier work, but I don't want to be disappointed again and ruin my opinion of him!
    • By Momo
      A Widow for One Year - John Irving - 1998

This is definitely a book I would not have read if it wasn't for my book club. I still don't know whether I liked it or not. It certainly is a book that makes you think about a lot of things.
    • By Momo
      Just stumbled across this thread while looking for something else. I have never read the book but I'm sure someone is happy to be able to read this again.

Volvican 16th July 2006 03:31 PM
      The Hotel New Hampshire

I am just not having much luck with my summer reading. Coming off the fairly unenjoyable 'The Known World' I thought perhaps an Irving book might hit the spot. I've only read one other Irving book - 'Garp' and I did enjoy that.

But this book might as well have been called 'Garp 2'. There were SO many elements recycled into this book. Eccentric family, move to Vienna, someone's a writer, prep schools, footballers, NY city and New England, same sort of narrator, obsession with exercise, non-typcial attitdues and experiences with sex, etc.... As the repetitions continued I just started to get more and more annoyed.

This didn't put me in much of a mind to judge the book on it's writing but I found that just as annoying. I wanted to know what happened to the characters but I just wanted him to get it over with already. I grew to instensely dislike what I now consider to be the Irving 'voice' - this dispassionate narrator character that just to accept from the get-go a 'oh well - that's life' sort of attitude. Over and over again - you're hit with that message - 'nothing really matters' and you frankly start to believe it about this book. Why should you care? Why should you continue reading? The only reason you do is because of the shear absurdity of what is actually going on.

I also found it to be too self-conscious. At one point a character talks about how American literature is unique in that it's "technically sophisticated while remained ideologically naive." And I immediately got the sense that Irving was only telling us that because he himself thinks that either he typifies this quality brilliantly or that he's the rare American author that does not exhibit this tendency to remain ideologically naive. I get the sense that it's probably the later- hence the disaffected narrator.

The symbolism is the book is slapped on with a trowel as well. (a dog named Sorrow??? Sorrow floats?? Pleeeeease)

It'll be a while before I pick up another Irving book. I think his latest one was amazingly long as well so another rason to stay well clear.
      ----------------------------------------------------------

Hazel 16th July 2006 03:40 PM

I have tried very hard to fully enjoy an Irving book, and I'd have to say that Hotel New Hampshire came close, though not enough for it to remain on my bookshelf. I quite liked the dysfunctional, mad-cap family, though the whole Susie(?) the Bear nonsense drove me to distraction. Garp, I found a little too dull and the characters too self-involved to be interesting to a reader. I gave up on Irving a long time ago.

megustaleer 16th July 2006 10:29 PM

This is the only book I have read by John Irving, and it came to me via a book group, not of my own choosing.
      It is very weird, and enjoyable in a strange way...certainly memorable. I even stayed up late one night to watch the film on TV, just to see what they made of it.

I can't say that I feel any inclination to read more books by Irving, that one was enough.

Volvican 17th July 2006 10:11 AM

I didn't know they made a movie out of it. That must have been interesting.... shall have to look that up on IMDB.

Mungus 17th July 2006 11:07 AM

I feel the need to stand up for John Irving!! I used to be a big fan and have read most of his novels a good few years back. My memory is hazy, but Hotel New Hampshire isn't his best. I get the impression that A Prayer For Owen Meany is generally the most popular. I thought there was a thread on it but I can't find it.

I said that I used to be a fan because I feel that his recent works have been very samey and formulaic and I haven't bothered with the last few.

Grammath 17th July 2006 12:41 PM

"The Hotel New Hampshire" was the first Irving novel I read, must be about half a lifetime ago now, so I didn't have the experience of it being "Garp 2". I enjoyed it enough that I have been inspired to read several more of his generally very lengthy works although like you, Mungus, I haven't read much of his very recent work. The only one I didn't really get on with was his first "Setting Free the Bears".

You are right, Volvican, that Irving certainly has repeating motifs in his career (you forgot to list wrestling) but I don't have a problem with a writer doing that - to me, its just a stylistic tic - plus if you read crime series you can come to regard it as normal.

I do agree, though, that he holds himself in very high regard. I think he must have read a review calling him a modern American Dickens and it went to his head. There is something about a lot of his books that makes them seem as if he is trying to tick all the boxes on the checklist of what goes into a Great American novel. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but I understand it is not to everybody's taste.

MarkC 18th July 2006 10:29 PM

I read this and enjoyed it enough that Garp found its way on to my TBR pile, where it remains along with a lot of other things. I am not familiar enough with American fiction or "the Great American Novel" to know if Irving is making a conscious attempt at acheiving that in his writing, to me it was simply another contemporary novel.

I liked the absurdity of the events and supporting characters in the story, the strangeness of the different family members and the way he told the story in a way that made it involving and funny despite the tradegies that unfold. Somehow he managed to draw me into this strange dysfunctional family and want to know what becomes of them all. It kept me up late a few nights which is generally a good sign.

The film was my introduction to the story, I only read the novel as a consequence of seeing part of the movie and that was only because of Nastassja Kinski*. The film is quite faithful to the book, although some things are clearer in the book.

*I admit it, I'm shallow enough to start to watch a film because she's in it, even though it means I've seen at least the beginning of some real turkeys as a result .

Mungus 19th July 2006 08:31 PM