Paranormal Romance

Leanna

I think this can be classed as horror, but anyway....

Recently there has been an influx of incredibly trashy paranormal romance particulary aimed at teenagers. I suspect, well in fact it's obvious, it's due to the sucuss of the twilight books.

I am not a die hard horror fan i like the occasional book and I will admit i do read paranormal romance on occaision, but it strikes me that the horror genre is well not really horror any more.

For example, vampires in Twilight - well there not really that bad to be honest with you. They can be redeemed by 'love' I mean the whole point of vampires is that they are supposed to be evil creatures of the dammed and that they are deadly not cute and loveable ?

There are hundreds of examples, the majority of them aimed at teenagers, it frustrates me. The only two series I can think of for YA that are reasonable are mortal instraments and Darren Shan books.

Any way let me know what you think

• 3 weeks later...

I like vampire stories and I think Twilight is another twist, another side of being a vampire. As you've said, cute and lovable. I love each characters especially EDward. If you are a vampire? I think you are a deadly vampire :P

Twilight is simply and yet beautifully written. The descriptions of Forks leave you feeling like you can almost smell the damp air and hear the rain falling on the roof. The romance between Edward and Bella is both touching and compelling. There is a melancholic feel to their impossible love, yet at the same time they both are unwilling to give up hope that their relationship is not doomed. The book reaches a fever pitch of excitement as the romance between Bella and Edward turns into a frantic race to stay alive.

Twilight is simply and yet beautifully written. The descriptions of Forks leave you feeling like you can almost smell the damp air and hear the rain falling on the roof.

I don't agree that they are "beautifully written", simple yes, and at times clunky, repetitive and cliched. I didn't really get a sense of place at all really, and it was only seeing Meyer's Forks in the films that I got that sense of place.

I would have loved the Twilight series, and for that matter most of the Dark Romance genre when I was a teen, so I am not about to slag them off, but as an adult I prefer the Twilight films to the books, and likewise the True Blood TV show to the books.

To be fair, the Dark Romance/ Paranormal Romance genre isn't that much different to the Goosebumps/ Point Horror/ Point Crime genre of my early teens. Just rebadged is all.