Do you go to the theatre?

BrumB

I love the theatre. Not a big choice here in the boonies, though! Used to go to the good ones in Boston, Mass. when I lived in the US but have slim pickings here in NI (I am really far from Belfast).

Spent a few days in London and really indulged in the whole theatre thing then but that was a few years ago. Miss it, though. Live theatre is such a great experience and so different from film! :)

I used to go to the theatre a lot in my youth (the 'old' Birmingham Repertory Theatre, behind New Street Station). I haven't been for years, as my husband gets edgy if forced to sit down for more than half an hour, and I need him for transport, the nearest theatre being 11 miles away from where we live now (in fact. I'm not even sure if the Harlow Playhouse still functions as a theatre any more)

My preference is for a proper 'rep' theatre company, rather than a theatre that provides venues for touring shows, but I've no idea where one of those might be found these days

However, as part of my research into finding somewhere to retire to, We are going to The Theatre Royal. Bury St Edmunds on Saturday afternoon to see Alan Bennett's 'Talking Heads' (part of the "Bury Festival")

Can't wait!

Megustaleer, wasn't the Old Rep great in Birmingham? When I was a child we used to go every week - I remember seeing Paul Schofield, Albert Finney, Donald Pleasance and probably plenty more who became famous later. Somehow the new Rep isn't the same - not sure why. Then there is the question of the cost. Birmingam is not short of theatres but it would be difficult to afford to go every week even if there were productions you wanted to see. I agree with you about repertory productions but imagine that with such small subsidies for the arts they are not feasible.

Don't start me on the wonderful actors who trod the boards at the B'ham Rep, and went on to be major names in the theatre.

Or the ones who I thought were good, who didn't become famous (William Ingram, as Mr Toad, now I believe writing plays)

Or the ones I thought were dire who went on to become incredibly famous (Julie Christie in 'The Good Woman of Schezuan'!)

Oh, the wonderful days of my youth! :P

I went to the Old Rep in January to see Jungle Book. And to the new Rep in March to see Diary of an Action Man. I took my children!! I dont get to go myself these days but I have happy memories of summer eveninng drives with my brother to Stratford to get standing tickets for the RSC. I saw some wonderful stuff. Antony Sher in Richard III, Michael Gambon in Lear, Derek Jacobi and Sinead Cusack in Much Ado about Nothing, Ken Branagh in Henry V.

Happy Days.

I love the theatre. Not a big choice here in the boonies, though! Used to go to the good ones in Boston, Mass. when I lived in the US but have slim pickings here in NI (I am really far from Belfast).

Spent a few days in London and really indulged in the whole theatre thing then but that was a few years ago. Miss it, though. Live theatre is such a great experience and so different from film! :)

I can sympathise about the lack of theatres in N.I! Even in Belfast there's not that many really. It's a bit rubbish and meant that I had only been to the theatre (usually on school trips, i.e study trips) about twice before I moved away to uni. I really think there's scope to open up a few more out in 'the boonies' as you call it!! I remember seeing Juno and the Paycock at the Lyric and not being that impressed...

Out of interest whereabouts in N.I are you if you don't mind me asking? My family stay in Portrush. The panto in the town hall is about the closest we get to local theatre...or the annual school play!

I love theatre and go about once a month on average, having the varied pleasures of the West End about 45 minutes from my doorstep. I also see quite a lot in some smaller spaces such as the Soho Theatre. I'm a plays rather than a musicals person.

The last play I saw was Mamet's "A Life in the Theatre" with Patrick Stewart and Joshua Jackson. Despite years in Hollywood, Stewart's American accent was shockingly bad, but it was the first time I'd seen him on stage and it would seem to be his second home after the bridge of the Enterprise.

My chief complaint is the enormous cost of a cramped seat and poor sightlines in most of London's theatres. Not even getting to see the whites of a moderately well known film star's eyes is worth the £50 that is the top price in some theatres these days. Fortunately, I've found several routes to getting cheaper tickets.

Well, I really loved my trip tp the theatre this afternoon.

Alan Bennett writes such wonderful scripts. You are laughing one minute, and on the verge of tears the next. He can reveal a whole tragic life in just half an hour of monologue. It was breathtaking!

They performed 3 of his 'Talking Heads';- 'A Chip In The Sugar'; Bed Among The Lentils'; and 'A Lady of Letters'. I was tempted to take the book of scripts with me, but sense prevailed...no point peering at the page in the dark, with a flesh and blood performer in front of you :D

The little 'Theatre Royal' in Bury St Edmunds is quite delightful. It reminded me of The Bristol Old Vic, as I knew it in the late 60s, only even smaller.

I hope I can persuade my husband to take me up there again before too long. There is a production of the famous Ben Travers farce 'Rookery Nook' scheduled for July.

I love the theatre. Just don't get there as much as I would like to. It gets more difficult as the children get older to get babysitters. We will be taking them with us soon instead!

Went to New York in April and saw Julius Caesar with Denzel Washington as Brutus. Quite heavy going, but enjoyable. Does anyone remember Marigold in Death til us Part? He was in it as well. We also saw a musical called Wicked. This is based on the book by Gregory McGuire, and is about the life of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wizard of Oz) before Dorothy comes into her life.

On Friday, we took the children to see a dramatisation of Jacqueline Wilson's Midnight, in Torquay. It was a superb production. We all thoroughly enjoyed it. We want to try and get to see the RSC production of A Midsummer's Night Dream. I think it will be a good intro to Shakespeare for the kids.

It's good to see that theatre seems to have a revival over the past few years, in the same way that cinema seems to have picked up.

I love the theatre - it's one of my hobbies/passions.

We've just come back from a holiday in the US and went to the theatre in Atlanta to see a hilarious murder mystery that involves the audience. It's called 'Shear Madness' and was brilliant.

I am very lucky as where I live I've got London an hour away, A good theatre at Guildford, one at Woking and even Southampton close. I also take my parents to matinees at Bromley.

On Friday we are going to see 'Tommy' then it's Journeys End next week followed by my Mum and I going to Sing Along to the Sound of Music!!!!!

In the winter we saw 'By THe Bog Of Cats' in London and Sheila Hancock in 'The Anniversary.

Looking in the Sunday Times today I want to try and see 'Death of a Salesman (Arthur Miller is my all time favourite) Pinter's 'The Birthday Party' and a couple others. However I agree with Megulasteer about ticket prices which is why I try and go locally it's cheaper and we do get post and pre West End productions.

We also are thinking of a retirement move and one of our criteria is good local theatre!

Willow

Took my 8 year old grandson to see Midsummer Night's Dream at Stratford on Saturday afternoon - his first Shakespeare play and I was worried he would be bored and too slow. He loved it and came home with a stack of new one liners straight from the play. The fact that the RSC partly played it for laughs and that it was extremely rude in parts and the setting and special effects were strange helped a lot. But anyway - like it or hate it - this production has innoculated one small boy against writing off the theatre for a while.

I feel I have to make some kind of comment here!

I love the theatre and go as often as I can. In fact I went at lunchtime today! There is a venue in Glasgow - Oran-mor - that does a lunchtime special - A Play, A Pie and a Pint! They put on one act plays by established - and up and coming - writers. The one today was by Liz Lochhead - one of my favorite poets.

For those of you within traveling distance of Glasgow - Hedda Gabler is playing at the Citizens' this week. Get yourselves along there!!

• 2 weeks later...
I can sympathise about the lack of theatres in N.I! Even in Belfast there's not that many really. It's a bit rubbish and meant that I had only been to the theatre (usually on school trips, i.e study trips) about twice before I moved away to uni. I really think there's scope to open up a few more out in 'the boonies' as you call it!! I remember seeing Juno and the Paycock at the Lyric and not being that impressed...

QUOTE]

Sorry, 'boonies' is a Yankeeism! Short for boondocks, aka 'the back of beyond' here, I think! Or really 'out in the sticks'! My view of neighbors is cows, pasture, etc., and the hills of Leitrim (or so I'm told). Quite a change from my former life! :rolleyes: