Sign in to follow this  
Minxminnie

Falling and Laughing: The Restoration of Edwyn Collins

This is the story of the recovery of Edwyn Collins, the musician, from the two near-fatal brain haemorrhages which he had in 2005, and of the experience of helping him to recover - Grace Maxwell is his wife.

(In case anyone doesn't know who he is, Collins was the frontman of the 80s band Orange Juice, best known for the single Rip It Up, and he then had a 90s hit with A Girl Like You. If you do know who he is, you'll know that he has a huge body of work beyond those two hits.)

The book gives a bit of context about their lives before the illness, before dealing with the hospital stays and rehabiliation. There's a lot of humour and candour in the book, and very little self-pity. It's quite raw and honest about what it was like for Grace Maxwell to be in her position, and also about the failings of the NHS and the ways that their relative wealth was able to fill in some of the gaps. I started it thinking it was one for fans, but it's much more about what it's like to deal with such a sudden change in your life, and without making it sound easy, it was optimistic. Definitely recommended.

I saw Grace Maxwell speak tonight at the North Lanarkshire literature festival.

She normally has Edwyn with her, but she came on her own as he's a bit under the weather. Her mum lives in Bellshill, where the event was held, so it was a wee trip home for her, and she was visibly at ease, which was nice as it was her first book talk without him.

It was a very interesting talk, very personal and candid. She dipped in and out of the book and wove other anecdotes into the readings, and as he wasn't there, it became much more about her experiences. She took a bit of flak from the audience for her negativity towards the NHS in the book, and what could be read as a lack of respect for the staff, particularly from a stroke nurse. But she defended herself well, and later she said it was nice to be challenged and not just to meet the "poor you" reaction.

Hi MM

don't know if you listen to Saturday Live (9 -10 Saturday mornings on radio 4) but the studio guest (s) next week is going to be Edwyn & Grace.

Hi MM

don't know if you listen to Saturday Live (9 -10 Saturday mornings on radio 4) but the studio guest (s) next week is going to be Edwyn & Grace.

Ah! Thanks Tay. I hear Edwyn has been doing some live sessions recently, on Radcliffe and Maconie and elsewhere, and Richard Bacon interviewed him. Must get on the iPlayer. I also got his new album recently.

Ah! Thanks Tay. I hear Edwyn has been doing some live sessions recently, on Radcliffe and Maconie and elsewhere, and Richard Bacon interviewed him. Must get on the iPlayer. I also got his new album recently.

I didn't know about the R & M session will have to check that out, thx. :)

New album any good?