Sticky: Explanation of Author's Corner

Hi,

This forum is intended as an area where writers of fiction can discuss their books with their readers, or their prospective readers, and perhaps attract a new readership. There is another Author's Corner among the Non-Fiction forums. We are hoping that many writers will want to become members of Book Group Online because they love books. We would love some of those authors to unmask themselves and introduce themselves on here, and take part in discussions about their work, and answer any questions that any of our members might have. That is the plan, but we will see how it evolves.

Once we have become more established, we will invite authors to come on to this website at specific times and for specific periods. We might have an Author Of The Week, for instance. There could also be different Authors Of The Week for different categories; for example, we might invite a Science Fiction writer onto that forum's Discussion Point.

Another long-term plan is to invite well-known writers to take part in live weekly online chats in the Chat Room, which would all be archivable.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to have you here, ArJohn. This is your latest, I believe:

A paranormal suspense:

With a colorful cast of characters - including politicians, law enforcement officials, land barons and common criminals, Rick Buda has crafted an intriguing and suspenseful novel. Anyone with a taste for the macabre and the mysterious will enjoy following the political blackmail, intrigue, trail of gore and the discovery a monster could well be living in your backyard!

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=bookgrouponli-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=1931201080&fc1=000000&=1&lc1=0000CC&bc1=CCFFFF&lt1=_blank&IS2=1&bg1=CCFFFF&f=ifr" width="120" height="240" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

• 2 weeks later...

Yes that is I. WolfPointe started out in 2001 as an ebook. It did OK -- but for me the market was not there. It was difficult to promote something I could not hold up. When Lida Quillen my Publisher at Twilight Times Books made the announcement that they were going to paper, I was thrilled. WolfPointe was not only the first to officially go paper; it has been the best selling title this year.

It has been fun and I am always looking for new way to get people to see it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ArJohn!

I see Wolfpointe described on Amazon as a page-turner. Good stuff! I know what you mean about promotion. I've just been asked to do a reading 'in costume'! My first thought was 'Help! I'm an author, not an actor!' but thinking about it actually its super how books are again so much part of popular culture that people are asking such things.

Kate

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm another one led here first by Kate. I've been a member for a few weeks, enjoying reading around when I find the find the time! I write historical novels as Mary Lancaster - the first was published last year as an e-book. Nice to meet you all!

Jean

“An Endless Exile” by Mary Lancaster is available from http://www.mushroom-ebooks.com/authors/lancaster_mary/endlessexile.html

• 1 month later...

..to say, BUTTER is available on Amazon UK, (Penguin USA's version,) but won't be in UK bookstores until Spring 2006, when it will be published by Piatkus.

I'm wondering if the cover will be similar...the Dutch version, and the title, was changed!

Other authors--are you happy with your covers?

Yes I love my cover. My Publisher had to fight to keep it when she wanted to sign a deal with distributors. They said it was not "marketable" enough. Funny most readers remark favorably about the cover...

I even went so far as to purchase the original artwork

I've liked most of my covers, especially the ones from Simon& Shuster.

The cover for my saga "A Dorset Girl" was voted the most popular mainstream cover with romance conference goers in Sydney last August, and the committee gave me it back framed with a certificate. Sometimes it takes me a little while to get used to some of the library hardcover covers, which can often be a bit on the bright side. And it's not unusual, when the books sell separate large print, hardcover, novella, and audio rights, to have several different cover designs for the same book.

Janet :cool: