Sign in to follow this  
David

New Who

Ask the BBC.

Miriam O'Reilly and  a few others would all like to know.

Maybe we should start a campaign in support of wiser and more experienced women in the media.  No doubt the BBC would object too much....pppffftt!  So glad I don't have a TV; that's my protest.newangel.gif

I can remember having a nightmare about Doctor Who when I was a young 'un.  My Dad came in to see what the problem was and I was too embarrassed to tell him.  I swear I was born self conscious.

Before reading this thread I hadn't realised that David Tennant hadn't been allowed to use his lovely Scottish accent in the program.  So glad I didn't waste my time watching! :naughty:

I can remember having a nightmare about Doctor Who when I was a young 'un.  My Dad came in to see what the problem was and I was too embarrassed to tell him.  I swear I was born self conscious.

Before reading this thread I hadn't realised that David Tennant hadn't been allowed to use his lovely Scottish accent in the program.  So glad I didn't waste my time watching! :naughty:

There is something about the Scottish accent that makes me swoon...  The same goes for a French and Scandinavian accent, too.flirt.gif 

I was a little too young to watch that being in bed, the angel that I was....newangel.gif

Actually ... I was supposed to be in bed ...

Actually ... I was supposed to be in bed ...

Were you a dirty stop-up?arms.gif   School nights I had strict bedtimes with weekends and holidays being a little more relaxed.

Were you a dirty stop-up?arms.gif   School nights I had strict bedtimes with weekends and holidays being a little more relaxed.

Technically, I was 'on my way to bed'  :ssh: and yes, I had very strict bedtimes, too.

On Thursday evening one of the conversations my stitching group had was about Peter Capaldi as the new Dr. Who; many agree he is the best choice for the role, whilst Matt Smith was considered far too young.  The question on everyone's lips was: "What type of Doctor will he be?"  "Eccentric, bohemian, conservative or other?"

One of the ladies said she didn't know Dr. Who was shown in NZ.  blink.png   My inner geek (yes, apparently I have one;ohmy.png  I keep her quiet with chocolate usually) blurted out that some forgotten episodes of Patrick troughton were found in Australia a few years ago.

We have just watched the new mini episode "The Night of the Doctor" on the BBC iplayer.

Special mini-episode 'The Night of the Doctor' to reveal the Doctor's dark chapter. Starring Paul McGann, this BBC iPlayer exclusive will for the first time ever reveal what became of the 8th Doctor. On the eve of his most terrible battle, the Time Lord is faced with a choice that will change the course of his life. The darkest of days are about to begin. The Doctor has always been a man of secrets - and now they can be told...

Starring Paul McGann as the eighth Doctor this 8 minute episode reveals...

How the 8th Doctor dies and becomes...

The War Doctor

So much Dr Who hype around at the moment, with a screening of the 50th anniversary due on Saturday, I believe.  With my usual fatalistic born-again pessimism I bet there will be a thunderstorm that night to knock out the satellite signal.  :rant:  I just KNOW it :rant:

I thoroughly enjoyed the 50th anniversary episode, from the original theme music at the start through to "the curator" at the end.

So nice to see Delia Derbyshire get a credit in the closing titles as well.

I am glad you enjoyed it Mark C. As predicted the storm came and knocked out the BBC signal so effectively that it has still not recovered. But, at least I have it to look forward to somehow, sometime in the future.

I read in the Radio Times that they did ask Christopher Ecclestone to reprise his Doctor. If he had there wouldn't have been a War Doctor played by John Hurt. The story would have been about the Ninth Doctor.

Not that it matters. I thought they did very well.

I loved it, and I enjoyed the mini-episode too (which helped clear up a lot of confusion for me). I also loved Peter Davison's video The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot  .

Thanks for the link Meg. I had forgotten about this being available and I really enjoyed watching it. I especially liked the ending(s.

I really loved the whole episode, but the section with Rose and the three doctors incarcerated or not, really sent tingles down my spine. Even though Tennent couldn't see Rose the spark in that scene was palpable. You just wanted him to see her again! And the ending with Tom Baker was wonderful!

Was checking out some stats on the DR Who 50th (okay, so I was looking for something to watch  :ph34r: ) and came across this:

"Perhaps most impressive, however, is the $4.77 million taken at the US box office, resulting in Doctor Who being the no. 2 movie in the USA on Monday night, second only to the new Hunger Games.

We’ll pause a moment while you re-read that last sentence."

Yesssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :arms:

Went and saw the 3D version at the cinema last night.

Luckily Mr meg decided not to come (he's not a fan, and has to ask what's going on very 2 minutes).

It was good to get a second viewing, but I didn't think 3D added anything to it.

Will be there :)

Apologies I must include the video I saw when Peter Capaldi was announced as the new Dr Who. Crying with laughter, but I think you have to see some of his previous work.

Adult :)

Edited by Clavain

I'm not really a Dr Who fan but I have long liked Peter Capaldi. I miss Tom Baker and have never been convinced by any of his successors. Until now. Peter Capaldi was born for the role - eccentric, vague, obstinate, opinionated and passionately Scottish. Yay! Plus he makes so many references to past doctors. I loved the bit about how he liked round things on the wall of the Tardis - which took me back nearly 40 years. 

The feature length opening episode was a bit of nonsense plot wise but had a wonderful steampunk backdrop that suited Capaldi down to the ground. Spare and plain on the one hand whilst being intricate and functional on the other. 

I'm not really a Dr Who fan but I have long liked Peter Capaldi. I miss Tom Baker and have never been convinced by any of his successors. Until now. Peter Capaldi was born for the role - eccentric, vague, obstinate, opinionated and passionately Scottish. Yay! Plus he makes so many references to past doctors. I loved the bit about how he liked round things on the wall of the Tardis - which took me back nearly 40 years. 

The feature length opening episode was a bit of nonsense plot wise but had a wonderful steampunk backdrop that suited Capaldi down to the ground. Spare and plain on the one hand whilst being intricate and functional on the other. D Who fans have a favourite.

Didn't grab me on the first episode but am optimistic

Edited by Clavain

The feature length opening episode was a bit of nonsense plot wise but had a wonderful steampunk backdrop that suited Capaldi down to the ground. Spare and plain on the one hand whilst being intricate and functional on the other. 

Didn't grab me on the first episode but am optimistic

The first episode had a lot to do and so we were lucky that the story was watchable.

I enjoyed the secodn story. I was especially pleased that Clara finally has a role.

The next episode promises to be fun... so let's hope it is.