Sign in to follow this  
MisterHobgoblin

We are pleased to announce

"All"? I think it sounds rather nice, and more than a great many people have in the senior years of their lives...

You mean you feel a recurrent twinge of sadness at the thought that they won't get married and have a mortgage and 2.4 kids?

When I said that my Mother in Law's current relationship with her 'chap' was "all it will ever be" I simply meant that it's not going to become a live-in relationship or marriage. I don't feel a twinge of sadness at all. She's a widow, he's a widower, they have their own homes and seperate families and find companionship with each other that seems to fulfill their needs perfectly. I'm very happy for them both. I just don't know what term to use when I refer to him to third parties!

The double-barrelled name thing just seems clumsy to me.

When the pair married a couple of years later the child then took his father's surname. I'm not sure of the mechanism by which that was done, but clearly there is one in place. However, he could not keep his mother's surname as a middle name (another assumption I made) when the change was made. To do that would have required changing it by deed poll.
People can use any name they choose (provided they are not doing it for fraudulent reasons) and there is no need to formally change it by deed poll. Women often revert to their maiden name without formally completing a deep poll. Children often take on different surnames with our a deed poll and adults often choose to use a new name without a deed poll.

I took a double barrelled surname via deed poll when my mother married her second husband. A combination of his surname and my father's. When they divorced I just reverted to my orginal surname. As my birth certificate hadn't been changed (it can't be) I didn't bother revoking or signing a new deed poll. I really should look into that...

She's a widow, he's a widower, they have their own homes and seperate families and find companionship with each other that seems to fulfill their needs perfectly.
My dear ol' gran has the same relationship with her boyfriend, she is 88. We call him Joe, his name. :D

I'm actually more confused the more I read. And other countries and cultures have different 'conventions', I feel this needs pointing out! A friend told me in America it is common for women to turn their maiden surname into a middle name.