Sign in to follow this  
My Friend Jack

Behind The Network

This book must be 10 years old now, but I think Bob has spent the last decade out of the limelight in semi-retirement and presumably working on Willow, the charity that his family set up after the death of Bob's daughter from cancer.

I really enjoyed reading about his life as there was so much that I really didn't know about him. His Scottish background, his 2 brothers who died during WW2, his spat with Wolverhampton Wanderers and the Football League, the years spent on the sidelines at Arsenal before his career eventually took off. Then, of course, are the well-known aspects of his life: The double-winning Arsenal team, his 2 Scottish caps, his move in TV with the BBC and then ITV and, of course, his daughter's 5-year battle with cancer.

Some of the behind-the-scenes stories were revealing - in particular, his reaction to Des Lyneham being brought in to take over his role as head of ITV's football, and also the last 12 seconds of the ITV presentation on the night that Manchester United won the Champions League.

Recommended.