The Moor's Last Sigh

LondonVasco

I have to get this book included on the list of books of the 20th Century as it is a book I totally love and keep coming back to, even now, some 14 years after I first read it.

I found this book - in fact, all Rushdie's books - to be incredibly rich and detailed, but there is something about the sheer joy and motion of the narrative in this particular work that keeps me spellbound, and a real depth to the characters.

For me: 10/10

LV

The Moor's Last Sigh is my favourite Rushdie as well. Sometimes I think it's because it's the first of his that I read. After I'd read a few more (Midnight's Children and The Satanic Verses for instance) I began to find his high literary style a bit too verbose and laboured. But the Moor... really entranced me with its lush language.

I do remember I had to go back and reread the first chapter after I'd finished the book... so that I could work out what it had been about! But I also remember the description of all the spices. Beautiful, evocative language. I'm glad someone else liked it too :)

Thanks for your post Kimberley!

You know, I have never actually seen anyone reading The Moor's Last Sigh. On the Tube to work it is all copies of New Moon or Shantaram...

Oh well. I do like his other books as well, but, like you, not as much as the Moor's Last Sigh. I keep trying to work out why I like it so much more than the others, and I think that the reason is simply it is such a beautiful story.

LV