Glee

Hazel

I tuned into the double episode opener of the much-hyped latest American show, not expecting to like it too much and certainly not expecting to laugh and smile along with it. It's totally cheesy but I really enjoyed it. Teacher takes over school's glee club and tries to pull the misfits together. There is no awful singing transformed by teacher with a heart - all the kids can sing and can pull off amazing renditions seemingly without any practice - but it's real feelgood stuff and I chuckled and smiled along.

The teacher in charge of the cheerlead squad is just brilliant and the rivalry between her penthouse students and the "sub-basement" glee club is very amusing.

Worth a watch.

However tongue in cheek, it just sounds too High School Musical for me.
Yeh, that's what I thought too, but no, there's enough adult humour to keep it funny and stay off the cheese. Though the singing and dancing is a little cheesy, I quite enjoy it.

• 1 month later...

Still enjoying it immensely. It's absolutely ridiculous of course and the near-perfect renditions performed almost immediately as they are given the song sheets is completely implausible, but it is good TV, and fun TV too. We've sorely needed feelgood telly after the demise of Friends and this has been a long time coming.

Sue Sylvester, the cheerios coach, is just evil enough to dilute the saccharine sweetness of everyone else.

• 2 months later...

I've just recently got into this and I'm really enjoying it. The Madonna episode was particularly good because it drew attention to inequalities that still exist for women in society, which is something I never expected a show like this to do. It also managed to do it in a way people could relate to, so it gets my respect on both counts.

I have to say, even though she's horrible, Sue Sylvester is the best thing in the show. Jane Lynch is just brilliant and plays her with such, if you'll pardon my wordplay, glee. :)

I've only recently discovered this, but I love the writing-Sue's putdowns are so cruel but so well-delivered & the music is, for the most part, awesome. I like the mix of pop songs & show tunes and went out recently and got the first two soundtracks which I've had on on loop since I got them. I love Rachel & Lea Michele and her rendition of Don't rain On my Parade was nothing short of amazing!

Bring on Monday nights at 10 my time!

I love Glee. I think this last episode was perhaps one of my favs. I loved the songs and I love the way that they used them, esp 'A House is Not a Home'. I personally thought the Madonna episode was just a bit OTT - it felt a bit too much like a commercial for her music. Though I did end up downloading 4 Minutes as I really loved that song. Not sure if they've done it in an actual CD- but they've got all the Madonna songs from the show in a 'power of Madonna' CD on Itunes.

Sue has got to be one of the best characters on tv at the moment. Her lines are just delicious. I don't think I can think of a single character that Jane Lynch has played that I haven't enjoyed. From her Christopher Guest roles, to her cameo stuff for shows like Two and A Half Men - she always brings such a wit to her work.

I think the producers just must be wetting themselves with the revenue possibilities that this show has brought them with the music. If you look at the Itunes chart the days after the shows air - all the songs are in the top 20 or so at least. And I hear that artists are just desperate to get their songs on it.

Not all, it seems - I read recently that Coldplay won't allow their songs to be used, and I think Bryan Adams has opted out too. They might come to regret it...

Interesting. Somehow the Coldplay one doesn't surprise me as they seem to be up their own arses generally. But Bryan Adams? Some of his would go over SO well in that choir format and it's not exactly as if he's been precious about the copyright of his songs before now. I seem to recall quite a few of those dance remixes of songs like Heaven.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
The first two episodes weren't great, but last week's: 'Grilled Cheesus' was back on form, so hopefully it will settle into a good run again.
I am disappointed by season 2. I especially didn't like 'Grilled Cheesus'. I think there's more of a reliance on character traits and the song more than plot this time round. Hmmmm. The characters are turning into caricatures - in an annoying way.

I agree that season two so far has been a poorer affair. The artist theme shows, with the exception of the Gaga one, I think are generally poor. Any plot or character stuff falls to the wayside in favour of stuffing in the songs. In general there have been way too many songs in all the s2 shows. Grilled Cheesus at least had some heart in it - but again - the Puck and Rachel songs really shouldn't have been in there.

I wonder if they know where they are going these season. Whereas with season 1 I think they had a gameplan - perhaps they are unsure in terms of graduations and plot exactly where things are going.

• 1 month later...

I have given up on Glee. Season 2 is rotten. My main gripes: the songs are just dumped in without a care for plot or subtlety, the song are performed just like the original without any attempt at a Glee-spin on it, and there are far too many celeb-cameos lining up which really stretches my enjoyment of the show as a fictional piece. Reading that Gwyneth Paltrow is cameo-ing next just was the icing on the cake. Not that I have anything in particular against her, just that the show has become and giant exercise in selling product and not creating a funny, charming drama any more. What's more, my joy of the first season has been tarnished by the poor second season and I am royally pissed about that.

I'm sticking with it for now. Although some of the episodes have been horrible (the Rocky Horror episode was ghastly) I still think it deals very well with a lot of issues - last week's 'Never Been Kissed' episode is a case in point. If it can steer clear of silly themes, not have too many big name appearances and concentrate on the stories I'll be happy. I'm prepared to give it a chance to get back to its best.