Sign in to follow this  
Hazel

Time to ban crime novels?

It is a horrifying story but I don't think that the crime novel is to blame. After all, you could probably get the same information on the internet in much the same way that you can get bomb making instructions on the internet.

Indeed, it reminds me of an episode of NCIS, for that matter.

These sick so and sos just say what it was they were inspired by to make mischief, imho.

I'm reading Stuart MacBride's 'Flesh House' and just yesterday was thinking how extreme the violence in crime books seems to be at the moment. (Also, how much more Scottish, but that's only incidental. Maybe.)

Anyway, I think the man in the news story wanted to kill someone. Probably for money. His method might have been inspired by the Kathy Reichs novel but he may well have done it anyway.

If we start banning crime novels because of the possibility of inspiring real crimrs, we'd have to ban so many other things, there'd be hardly anything left! Psychos like that do what they do, banning books wouldn't stop them.

Banning books - madness. Although I will admit the No1 Ladies Detective Agency inspired me to try redbush tea...

Ban the whole series I tells ya!

:lmao::arms:

Horrifying story, made more horrifying by the news that the perpetrator based his crime on a Kathy Reichs novel, Devil Bones. Time to ban crime novels?

No -- People will get their ideas from wherever. It's the PERSON who commits the crime, not the PERSON who wrote the book!

That said, I think some books are a little over the top...

I was rather expecting you to express your views rather more fully than this RR!
I very much doubt RR will disappoint. I hope he's away crafting his response. :D

I very much doubt RR will disappoint. I hope he's away crafting his response. :D

Lol - the way you wrote that conjured up an image of RR carefully sculpting his response with a hammer and chisel. I'm looking forward to a Venus de Milo ;):D

i've been thinking crime novels should be banned for a while

but instead i just avoid them as i don't like them :D

Looking at the original story, it's got more in common with crimes previously committed that with a Kathy Reichs story.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_Ruxton if you want more details. I would say it's rare that someone manages to kill someone or dispose of a corpse in a way that would surprise the police. Horrify, maybe, but surprise? I doubt it.

Maybe it even helps in tracing the crime to them - to quote Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (or Sherlock Holmes if you prefer) "What is out of the common is usually a guide rather than a hindrance".

The monstrous thing is that this man killed someone, not how he disposed of the body.

My husband reads a lot of crime novels and watches shows like NCIS, etc but it has never inspired him to commit murder. I have read a number of true crime books, but all that has done is help me to understand how truly horrible some of these crimes are. If all this has inspired anything it is to make my son say he wants to become a police officer after he has left the army and my daughter to be interested in forensic science - considering it as a possible career choice.

Readers who choose to read about violent crime - in both true-life crime books and crime fiction - are at least consciously deciding to do so.

Indeed aspects of our Society today are very, very sick but I would suggest that this can be better blamed on 3 other elements:

• 1. Sensationalism in the popular press and on the TV news, daily served up into our living rooms.
    2. Political correctness taken to insane levels.
    3. The long-lasting, pervasive impact of the outrageous views of that extremely warped psychologist, Sigmund Freud.

If you give some thought to the ways in which our world has changed for the worse since your grandparents were young, you will be able to come up with your own examples.

Indeed aspects of our Society today are very, very sick

If you give some thought to the ways in which our world has changed for the worse since your grandparents were young, you will be able to come up with your own examples.

But we have clean water, colour telly, long-haul flights to exotic places, not to mention New Zealand. We, in the West, have democracy, free speech, the internet, fast cars, BGO, public services galore, more than enough to eat and drink. Granny didn't have all this. I know things have changed, but it's not all bad news. And what's wrong with Freud? He's shown us all that we are not the masters in our own house we once believed.

IMO, any amount of things could have trigged the killer in that news story.

This is the age old argument that has gone on for as long as I can remember involving rock stars, tv, computer games and now books regarding the violent content and the effect it has on people and society.

People are sometimes just made that way, I personally read true and fiction crime novels, listen to heavy metal and play violent video games, but not once have I woke up on a morning and thought about killing anything never mind anyone!

I remember being told a story a long time ago in College before i joined the Army about violence in Books/movies/music influencing those who commit crimes ect. The story was of a young man who strolled in to an Infant's school and shot a class room full to pieces. He later told police he watched Star Wars the morning of the shooting. I don't and never have believed that excuse for one second, it's just being more of a coward and shoving the blame off on to something else. As with this nutcase apparently copying a Kathy Reichs novel, he was nuttier than squirrel poo looooong before he picked up a book!

It is a horrifying story but I don't think that the crime novel is to blame. After all, you could probably get the same information on the internet in much the same way that you can get bomb making instructions on the internet.

Indeed, it reminds me of an episode of NCIS, for that matter.

These sick so and sos just say what it was they were inspired by to make mischief, imho.

I definitely agree with you

If crime novels, heavy metal, violent computer games and movies etc cause people to commit murder then why aren't there more murders. I've read plenty of crime novels and looking at my bookcase there are plenty still waiting to be read, my favorite tv show is Dexter and I've even listened to heavy metal and yet I've never been tempted to murder anybody.

People don't commit murder because of a book, tv show, computer game etc they do it because they want to and the media should stop looking for scapegoats and start blaming the criminals for their actions.

There is a absolute deluge of Murder fiction out there, i reckon if you was to pick a random real life murder out of your local paper you could find a similar murder in fiction.

If anything the fact that 99% of fictional serial killers end up dead or serving life, along with the gory details, would put most people off. Obviously this guy isnt like most people and that was what ended his class mates life. Not a book.

Of course if you disagree i will be forced to do you in and i know exactly how, thanks Kathy!

Banning any kind of a book is wrong. Some books would always influence someone to do something stupid. You would also never know which book would influence what. Catcher in the Rye influenced one assassination and one attempted assassination, although it is far from violent.